SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Whole household very sick…
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whole household very sick… Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I get an “senior strength” flu shot yearly. I get the impression that’s not considered to be a good thing here in SIGforum Smile. What was the flu-shot status for you and your family?

Prayers for a quick and complete recovery for all of you.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9001 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I get an “senior strength” flu shot yearly. I get the impression that’s not considered to be a good thing here in SIGforum
You might want to have a conversation with your doc about this.

I am not an anti-vaxxer, not by any stretch of imagination. For decades, I had my flu shot religiously, every year.

Then, around five or six years ago, during a routine visit to the doc, they asked "Do you want your flu shot while you're here?"

Sure. One-stop shopping. Got the flu shot. Not long after, here comes the Guillain Barré Syndrome. Could hardly move, almost paralyzed. More than a week in the hospital. Spinal tap. IVIG transfusions. Needed a walker to get around. Months of occupational and physical therapy. Now, years later, still have not recovered completely. Ongoing nerve pain. Balance is off, if I do fall it is difficult to get back up by myself, nearly impossible if I don't have a hand-hold to help me climb back up to my feet.

After the dust started to settle, discussed with the doc. I am on the no-fly list for most vaccinations. No more flu shots allowed. Nix on pneumonia vax, shingles, etc. We decided against the COVID shots. I hope that I don't step on a rusty nail, or get bitten by a dog, because I don't know whether tetanus or rabies shots would be safe for me.

The odds of a flu shot triggering Guillain Barré are very slim, but it could happen, so you really do want to think about it.

To date, I have kept safe from flu, COVID, etc. for the past few years, by being anal about common sense sanitary habits. I probably wash my hands more times in a day than I used to do in a couple of weeks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30727 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post