SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bearded guys, what do you use for facial moisturizer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bearded guys, what do you use for facial moisturizer? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Notice how I didn't say "What is a good facial moisturizer?" My gay friend already said "semen," so that's out of the way.

So what do you actually use? Or are you genetically lucky to not have dry skin? I've tried a bunch of things, can't find a balance between actually working and feeling oily.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
For the face, you want something labeled Noncomedogenic (i.e. designed not to clog pores) so you don't replace dry skin with blackheads and pimples.

When I lived in Alaska and Canada (locales with real winter and the corresponding dry winter skin), I used Cetaphil as it's noncomedogenic, hypoallergenic, and fragrance-free. Inexpensive and readily available too.

I used Cetaphil on my nose, cheeks, and forehead. The conditioner in my beard washing regimen kept the skin under my beard hydrated.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23643 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely be interested in beard conditioner suggestions as well.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
The wife’s conditioner, if it’s good enough for her, it’s more than what I need.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5235 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Tea Tree Hair and Body Moisturizer by Paul Mitchell.

War Eagle!

Posts: 132 | Location: Alabama | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Olay complete facial moisturizer. I use it more for the sunscreen component than the moisturizing, but it works for me. I don’t try to rub a lot in through the beard, but it doesn’t cause any issues with the beard if I get some on it.

For beard conditioning, I just wait a minute or two after conditioning my hair, then “squeegee” any conditioner I can get off my hair and rub it into the beard. It all gets rinsed off before getting out of the shower.

Posts: 7063 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Beard oil is what you want to moisturize and condition. These oils cited below get absorbed quickly and do not leave you feeling greasy.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/8350034105

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16509 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I have mild eczema so I need to keep my skin hydrated.

For my body and hands, I use CeraVe moisturizing cream.

For my face, I use Kiehl's Ultra facial cream. I don't have a beard but will go a week without shaving sometimes. The Kiehl's is not cheap but it works really well.

Posts: 2734 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
I'd definitely be interested in beard conditioner suggestions as well.
Cremo Wild Mint Beard and Face Wash

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23643 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like all the chemicals tgat are in many products, so try to use animal based stuff. Stone & Spear makes good stuff.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1222 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a shampoo/conditioner combination on my hair and beard. Don’t know that the brand matters.
What I try to be PARTICULAR about is drying after washing. Thoroughly drying my beard after showering makes a notable difference in how my skin feels. If I miss the drying part my skin under the beard gets itchy.

Posts: 2158 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Last time I was at the dermatologist I asked him. He gave me a wee little sample size bottle of Aveeno.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31374 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only had a beard since 1982. I didn't know I was supposed to use anything, other than the shampoo and conditioner in the shower (my wife gets it.) I may have to check some of this stuff out.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I've only had a beard since 1982. I didn't know I was supposed to use anything, other than the shampoo and conditioner in the shower (my wife gets it.) I may have to check some of this stuff out.

This is how I’ve rolled since about ‘85. But I do keep the beard at a 1 1/2 guard length unless I’m feeling unruly.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5235 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
10W40

You guys are men, right?

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I can't believe what I'm reading. Bailing out.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8914 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I primarily just use moisturizing 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner. There are seasons or temperatures or years where I've needed hydration for my face.

Brushing helps. Boar hair bristles that are stiff enough to get down to your face and scrub a bit. They'll soften with a little use and can be pretty aggressive feeling at first.

Trial and error after that.

I'm on a natural oils kick lately, but I've used a wide variety of decently performing products on and off as needed over the last ~20 years or so (last shaved clean in high school). Currently using VanMan products.
https://vanman.shop/products/v...llow-honey-balm-2-oz
https://vanman.shop/products/n...w-honey-balm-classic
https://vanman.shop/products/v...protection-oils-4-oz

For oils I will put a drop on each finger tip and work it into my beard to kind of "wet" it in a few spots, then brush for a minute or two until I feel like my whole face got a nice scratch and the oil looks evenly covered. Fewer fingers for shorter beard.

Balms are softened in my palms or on my fingertips and worked on top of my whole face, bald head (this is also my skin moisturizer), and beard and brushed in, then combed in spots for a flatter/tighter setup and a little shaping.

If I'm going out on a summer night in humid conditions doing a little heavier beard oil can help my beard avoid getting sweaty and matting against my face, so it has more volume if I'm sweating, more air moves, I stay cooler, my face doesn't get heat rash as easily, I need less face care in the summer if I work it right. A pocket comb can be handy as well.

If you want something that holds more shape look for beeswax. When I'm going outdoor in colder months a wax or solidifying oil product can give a decent snow shield and prevent as many icicles from accumulating around my mouth- brush some in before you go run the snow blower, or go outside in windy subzero temps.

I only use the balm on my beard in cold weather or for "extreme" cases of itchy, flaky skin under there.

Posts: 6040 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Whatever my wife has in the shower for conditioner, but I keep my beard short.

Posts: 4093 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Clinique for men face lotion for my skin and a quality beard oil for my beard. Currently Grave Before Shave Aphrodisiac beard oil.

I use Honest Amish bar soap for body and hair. Simple ingredients.

JC

Posts: 1302 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I do not allow bar soap any more. Scraping the scum is an arduous task. Want to use bar soap, you clean the shower.

Posts: 4093 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post