SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Beard Oil; Do you use it and what do you recommend
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beard Oil; Do you use it and what do you recommend Login/Join 
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted
Well I've come to the grumpy old man stage and am now sporting a beard. While the salt and pepper looks very sharp (according to the Mrs so who the hell really knows?) I find that the greys are pretty stiff.

Me being the progressive modern male (yeah, right) I figured that I would reach out to my fellow ground pounders and see if they have had any experience with beard oil and would recommend a particular brand/scent?

Cheers!

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1593 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I’ve used a bunch and really like the offerings from Badass Beard Care. I alternate between Pirate and Viking.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
I either use Cremo that you can get at Walmart or Johnny Slicks.
I like their Berry Slicks which is seasonal and available right now both me and my wife like that one and I’ve tried their Rugged which I like and the original which my wife likes.
https://johnnyslicks.com/collections/shave-and-beard

Posts: 5015 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Occasionally. Especially in the winter when my face can get really dry. The oil is good for the skin too.

I use Honest Amish Beard Oil.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've own a bottle of Cremo and have used it a few times. It was fine but nothing to compare it to.

My understanding is it makes more of a difference for longer beards. I keep a short beard (~3/8" in summer and ~1/2" in winter) so I don't think I'm much of a candidate. Washing with same shampoo and conditioner as my hair suits me just fine.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
My understanding is it makes more of a difference for longer beards. I keep a short beard (~3/8" in summer and ~1/2" in winter) so I don't think I'm much of a candidate.

Wrong! (Unless you have soft girly hair. Or, YMMV.)

I keep mine shorter than yours all year long and beard oil both keeps the fur soft and less pokey, but also keeps the skin smooth and moisturized. (Mine gets dry and itchy without.)

What I can’t stand, however, is a greasy-feeling beard oil that makes me feel like I need to wash down with dish soap to get it off my hands. Jack Black’s brand of beard oil is a good example of that. Not a bad scent, but way too heavy-oily IMO.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm in the short-haired group, too.
Almost through a can of Target (pre current craziness) store brand, more of a thick cream than an oil, fairly solid & you had to work it thinner, and need a new option.
Didn't really soften it much, but seemed to help a bit.

Tried the Duke Cannon beard oil, but my wife didn't care for the scent (sandalwood IIRC). And it took a lot of effort to get any decent amount from the bottle.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15977 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I believe it's bald1 that uses 50/50 jojoba oil and argan oil and that's what I use also.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Honest Amish Beard Balm. I prefer the wax to oil.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5311 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Honest Amish Beard Balm. I prefer the wax to oil.

This is what I've been using as this topic came up here awhile back. I believe that OP wanted something that wasn't too aromatic.

I find the Honest Amish Beard Balm to have a little but of anise or black licorice smell. What there is goes away fast.
I have my whiskers trimmed to #4 on my trimmer, so on the short side. I use the balm mainly to moisturize the skin as mine can get dry.

I can't really compare it as it's my first beard specific product.

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Another fan of Badass Beard Care here. I like the Outlaw scent the best.

Posts: 11414 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Seems like some great recommendations. I'm going to try a couple from Badass Beard Care and see how I like them.

Thanks!

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1593 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
My beard is almost completely gray and I use Badass Beard Wax - The Outlaw scent. I tried oil but I found the wax works better for me

Posts: 2352 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have to admit that I have never heard of beard oil and in my 20s & 30s I wore a beard quite a bit.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4226 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Over the last two years I have been growing my Santa Clause beard. It has gotten long and a little scraggly.
I started using Meastro's Beard Butter. I like it because it is fragrance free and even tho it does have several kinds of oil in it it's number one ingredient is water.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I use Striking Viking beard oil. Have also used Honest Amish oil. Mostly in the winter when my skin is dried out. In winter I keep a longer beard, in the summer a lot shorter.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
I believe it's bald1 that uses 50/50 jojoba oil and argan oil and that's what I use also.

Sorry about the late reply.
We had a thread about this two years ago:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/7550069084
...and another last year:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...601935/m/6220003494?

I stand by what I said then:
"Having tried many I've reverted to a simple 50:50 mix of argan and jojoba oils. Very effective and relatively inexpensive compared to brand name stuff which use the same two oils.

No need, for me at least, for any added scents which is really what you're paying for with all the retail offerings. I leave scents to colognes. Big Grin

If you must, you can add any of the multitude of scent essential oils available out there to the DIY argan-jojoba mixture."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soul Glo

Seemed to be the stuff in Coming to America.

Posts: 7997 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Soul Glo

Seemed to be the stuff in Coming to America.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
I've used oils and balms. Made my own a couple of times. But these days I just use the same shampoo on my beard as on my head, and follow that up with a regular shea butter moisturizer after the shower. The oils and balms do smell nice.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post