SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bearded guys, what do you use for facial moisturizer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bearded guys, what do you use for facial moisturizer? Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Nothing

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1788 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Arc, are you getting like dry, flaky skin up under the beard? Itches like the dickens? I've been getting that lately as well. Wife blames the dry weather, but I'm not convinced. I use beard oil (Honest Amish) every other day or so but it's not helping that I can tell.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16227 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInAR:
Arc, are you getting like dry, flaky skin up under the beard? Itches like the dickens? I've been getting that lately as well. Wife blames the dry weather, but I'm not convinced. I use beard oil (Honest Amish) every other day or so but it's not helping that I can tell.

No, I've always had dry skin, and for some reason years of outdoor work it wasn't something that made me uncomfortable. Some years ago, it got bad enough that I began moisturizing. I'm still trying to find the right product that doesn't have the oily/coated feel, but also works.

Itchy and flaky skin in the beard can be dry skin, sure. If it's really itchy and large flakes, the skin is irritated for some other reason. Too much moisture, a sunburn... there are a bunch of reasons. Years ago during sparring I got my face nice and mashed into a mat for much of a session.. I practically molted in my beard. I would use a gentle cleanser, and rinse really well. Then, not apply any oil or moisturizer. See if it calms, then go from there.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I've only had a beard since 1982. I didn't know I was supposed to use anything, other than the shampoo and conditioner in the shower (my wife gets it.) I may have to check some of this stuff out.

I don’t understand the need for all kinds of junk to put on my skin either. I have a couple of minor medical skin conditions I use prescribed stuff on but never felt the need to use a skin moisturizer ever. While I am the typical fair skin Eastern European, my skin I guess tends not to get dry, while my wife despite her tan/olive skin Mediterranean complexion ( which generally is thought of as a more oily skin type) uses tons of moisturizer and when applied soaks in like crazy.

Posts: 3373 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I keep my beard pretty short, using a #1 1/2 attachment on the trimmer. I have oily skin on my face so I don’t use anything special on it. I wash it with the same body wash I use on the rest of me. I use Pert Plus for my hair, but body wash everywhere else.

I do use a beard brush, too.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1732 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post