SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firearms Advocacy Organizations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms Advocacy Organizations Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm an NRA member. Even secondary organizations all suggest supporting the NRA first.

That being said, it's never been clear to me what the NRA is really doing to protect our rights. They are involved in some of the big cases, which is great. But the smaller stuff is killing us too. And I can't see to find exactly what the NRA plans are - what issues are they attacking or planning to attack and when. What are the headwinds and tailwinds? I can see news of different things that occur. But it's not clear if the NRA is just reporting the news or if they were instrumental in the outcome. Or what they did to try to prevent some events (that infringe on our right).

Overall, just hard to see what the NRA is really doing and is focused upon and is planning to do. How much of all the money that they rake in is to services? Operations? Advertising / membership drives? Efforts to recapture our rights? Efforts to prevent infringements? And I'd just as soon prefer that they stop giving out membership gifts made in prc and apply those funds to legal efforts.

So it's sometimes hard to decide - should I help the NRA or other orgs like <michal and associates>?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'm an NRA member. Even secondary organizations all suggest supporting the NRA first.

Much of their support is because of grants that the NRA issues to those smaller regional organizations; there's a good chance after some digging, you'll find most of the 2A organizations out there receive some level of funding via the NRA. Various think tanks, advocacy organizations and legal support, particularly when an amicus brief can be presented, is usually supported via the NRA.

I'm not saying the NRA is completely off the table for your donation, however as an individual citizen looking to see more effective and direct method to combat an infringement of our rights, I'd look to your local advocacy organizations as the first place to consider.

Posts: 14672 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still hanging with the NRA, and I really like Gun Owners of America. They're filing pro-2A lawsuits all over America, and winning.

https://www.gunowners.org/

Posts: 1094 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
As you can see in my signature block, I belong to as many 2A organizations as I can afford at this time in my life. I don’t want to rely on just one organization. My wife and I have been Life members of NRA for many years, well before the recent internal Charlie Foxtrot with LaPierre. I hope they are still effective, but when I feel compelled to donate above and beyond membership dues it’s usually to GOA or another non-NRA organization. Maybe in the future I’ll give the NRA more support, but we’ll have to see.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post