SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firearms Advocacy Organizations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms Advocacy Organizations Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
With all of the discussion about NRA, Wayne La Pierre, etc., I'm questioning whether funds are more effective if donated to other organizations.

I started to look at the Second Amendment Foundation and something looked familiar, so I kept checking. Sure enough, the address is the same as the address for Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.

Looking at street view in Google Maps, and at Google Earth, I can't tell whether this address is a private residence or a very small office building.

Interesting.
I just received an email from the all-knowing Monkey, with a link to an announcement that the two organizations had merged. Aha!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30713 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'm not giving up on the NRA.

I'm hopeful we can clean house and get back to winning in the political arena, as well as supporting the shooting sports.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
There are better run orgs for sure, but on the federal level, I dont think there is anyone more effective than the NRA and there might not ever be. They've got 150 years of momentum.

For local things, though, there are definitely more effective groups but they will be specific to your location.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

I'm not giving up on the NRA.

I'm hopeful we can clean house and get back to winning in the political arena, as well as supporting the shooting sports.
I'm not necessarily giving up either, I'm keeping an open mind, but I'm wondering which organization makes the best use of our donated dollars for the legal battles. I'm not convinced that supporting Wayne La Pierre's salary, expense accounts, and other compensation is the most effective use of my money.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30713 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I started to look at the Second Amendment Foundation and something looked familiar, so I kept checking. Sure enough, the address is the same as the address for Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.

Alan Gottlieb is the founder for both...is that a problem?

USCCA seems to be increasing its advocacy, legal support, and training resources for the individuals citizen. The NRA does similar but, their content and presentation is rather...stoggy versus USCCA which appears to be more current. USCCA comes across as younger and much more active...at least to me.

Firearms Policy Coalition like the 2AF have been at the forefront in filing lawsuits against states and municipalities infringing upon the 2A. Like USCCA, they're active in social and multi-media, thus a more attractive presentation for the younger gun owner.

Posts: 14682 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I'm hedging my bets - the NRA is the 800lb gorilla in the room, warts (LaPierre) and all.
But I'm also supporting the SAF, as well as ANJRPC locally (that's the Association of NJ Rifle & Pistol Clubs). My money is equally divided among the three.

Minor thread drift: V-Tail-check your email. I expected a response from you already!

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
There are many good choices.

RE: NRA.
There are no doubt a number of folk who agree with the NRA's general direction but who have issues with current management.

If that's you, and you would like money to go directly to NRA's efforts to help defend 2A in the legislative realm (vs, say, general admin expenses/salaries, publications, training, publications, trade shows, etc.) there are a couple of options:

NRA-Institute for Legislative Action The NRA-ILA conducts pro-2A lobbying at Federal and state level. AFAIK anyone may donate to the NRA-ILA.

NRA-Political Victory Fund This is a Political Action Committee (PAC) - it rates candidates on their 2A behavior/voting/attitudes, and also contributes to campaigns and/or conducts election-related activities in support of them (or against their opponents)

As I understand it, unlike the ILA, due to federal election law the NRA PAC can only accept donations from NRA members.

Posts: 15035 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

Per the JPFO website, the founder was Aaron Zelman.

Either way, it's not a problem for me, I just had not known about the merger and I wondered about both organizations having the same address.

In any event, my main question is: I do not have an unlimited budget. I'm trying to determine where my firearms support dollars will have the most bang for the buck, in terms of effective legal action to fight the never ending infringement of 2nd Amendment Rights.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

the NRA PAC can only accept donations from NRA members.
I am a Life Member but I am not going to renew until WLP is gone.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have an item on my to do list to join GOA this Nov 2022. It's been there for a couple of years so I forget why I decided to do this.

I've been an NRA life member for quite a while.

Just a thought, how about joining your state gun owners association?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19693 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Per the JPFO website, the founder was Aaron Zelman.

Either way, it's not a problem for me, I just had not known about the merger and I wondered about both organizations having the same address.

In any event, my main question is: I do not have an unlimited budget. I'm trying to determine where my firearms support dollars will have the most bang for the buck, in terms of effective legal action to fight the never ending infringement of 2nd Amendment Rights.

I don't think there was any merger just the usage of a common mailing address.

For best bang-for-buck, support your local/regional 2A org. They know who is pushing what, where the levers of power are, not to mention the temperature of the water in various municipalities.
SCOTUS rulings are trending towards states rights, pushing the responsibility down to the states; we've now seen deep blue states crafting laws that are attempting to bury a private, responsible gun owner in a all sorts of requirements in order to circumvent Bruen. Creating an overwhelming level of bureaucracy and restrictions in order to minimize firearm ownership, carry and usage.
The NRA is funded by the larger firearms corporations, their donations are what moves their needle not the individual.

Posts: 14682 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My opinion ion the matter in this thread.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...920073394#5920073394

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by V-Tail:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by corsair:
I don't think there was any merger just the usage of a common mailing address. ...

https://www.saf.org/saf-announ...-firearms-ownership/

They merged back in 2014.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by corsair:
I don't think there was any merger just the usage of a common mailing address. ...

https://www.saf.org/saf-announ...-firearms-ownership/

They merged back in 2014.

There it is, thank you

posted Hide Post
I haven't given up on the NRA, I'm still a Life member, I just don't feed them any money that will be pissed away.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I suggest giving to the NRA ILA for their support to State Associations. Their lobbyists supports/teams/strategizes with the TSRA lobbyist.

The effect is to share best practices etc from the other states to each each state as applicable.

The NRA ILA is vitally important to see as separate from NRA if one has a negative perception of any kind on NRA.

Join your state association, help them to state they have 10K/40K/100K state voting members when they speak at the state capital. That separates a state assn from some noisy moms wanting action.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I had the NRA call me asking for money a couple weeks ago.
I told her to get rid of Wayne - then call me back.
Then I hung up.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thank you Joel9587 and HK Ag

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a Life Member but I am not going to renew until WLP is gone.

Better splain that Lucy.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I will keep supporting the NRA, as they are still effective.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post