SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snowmageddon!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowmageddon!! Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
14" here. Nothing we couldn't handle.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
All season tires are not snow tires. That 4th season can and often does prove that.

Very true.
I do have good all season tires on and have not had a problem, until yesterday.
12" of snow is a lot for any tire and I normally don't get that much snow here. 3-4 inches kinda normal and I'll get through that fine.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
An honest question from someone who has not driven in snow. How do you drive in snow? What happens to the car? Will the car just "push" thru the snow? Will it drive in say 6" of snow or 2' of snow? Inquiring minds want to know.

Honestly, you just get used to driving in it. The biggest thing for me is slow down. I made it to work yesterday (31 miles away) but it took me 20 minutes longer because I was going slower (as were all the other commuters who were traveling.) I saw at least 10 people who had spun out/crashed. Lots of idiots passing people on the highway (when we were driving about 45 MPH.) I kept expecting to see those idiots who insisted on going fast spin out;luckily I didn't witness any yesterday.

quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Those are some impressive numbers. Ohio: 12" = shutdown. Memphis: 1.5" with overnight temps in the low 30's/upper 20's = shutdown. Big Grin

We didn't shut down. At my work we had probably 30 people call off out of 150, so not too bad.

Also, LOL to your comment about the temp in your town and shutting down Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I saw ALOT of that this morning and when I came home also. Cars that couldn't get out or in driveways, cars in yards and cars that couldn't get through deep snow turning a corner.
ODOT says they'll have things cleared up in the next 2 days hopefully. We shall see.

Yep, here too (Cuyahoga Falls.) I got stuck because my street hadn't been plowed when I got home so I had no choice but try and make it into my garage. The snowplow actually came down my street while I was snowblowing and now we can actually travel down my street (but at least the assholes across the street can't park right in front of my driveway like they usually do (for the time being at least.))

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:

I reached my USDA inspector and told him we're not producing today so I'll save money since it's a federal holiday.

Speaking from the USDA side of things I'm sure the inspector appreciated not having to go in. I hated working holidays.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nframe:
quote:

I reached my USDA inspector and told him we're not producing today so I'll save money since it's a federal holiday.

Speaking from the USDA side of things I'm sure the inspector appreciated not having to go in. I hated working holidays.

He came in yesterday and told me he couldn't get out of his driveway anyways.
The government gave them new Kias, cars, and he wouldn't have been able to move through the snow. I had trouble in my 4WD truck.

I saved money by not paying for the federal holiday but, I now have to work Saturday.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Well it looks like this weekend, January 21-23, New England is going to get wacked pretty good, I'm seeing possibly 2-3 FEET!

Get yah chowda and snow blowers ready

Wicked pissah! Big Grin

Bomb cyclone set to blitz Boston with blizzard conditions

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today's official total north of Boston was 20"

I have 24" to 30" in my yard to shovel out my car.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The worst I have seen was the Chicago Blizzard in 1967. 27 inches of snow. Shut down the city for three days.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
This weekends snow was nice here, in that it was "dry" powdery stuff. Easy to move. Of course it led to things like me having 3 feet on my front steps and the people across the street having 4".

Should be gone in a few days. When I was still doing snow plowing, it's what we'd call the perfect storm. Starts on overtime and is done and gone when straight time starts on monday.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Today's official total north of Boston was 20"

I have 24" to 30" in my yard to shovel out my car.

Well I guess you should have closed your windows….;-)

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had 4-5 inches in parts of my Jeep. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
We got about 15 inches or so. A windy storm created drifts 3 feet deep and places where the pavement was bare. Not too bad overall but the town really needs to salt our mountain road. It’s still covered in snow and ice.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well say what you will about CA, here in San Diego, my wife and i went to the bay, had two dozen oysters (fresh BTW) enjoyed watching tourist on [rental] jet skies for the first time, AND, i didn’t get into too much trouble (read: I didn’t get get caught) for looking at the college girls in two piece, tiny, swim suits.

Jus sayin. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
CA could use all the snow it can get.

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The worst I have seen was the Chicago Blizzard in 1967. 27 inches of snow. Shut down the city for three days.
I was there, age 14, living in Norridge.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

We got 32 inches here in 2016

That was crazy Eek

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
There’s a reason why Florida has screens over their pools - so the bugs don’t steal your kids.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
We caught 19" at the jersey shore.
It's rather rare, but when it does occur it is usually a good dose.

Snow on the Beach

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposedly another storm headed my way later this week.
Of course people are freaking out because they're saying like 2 feet of snow.
See what happens Thursday and Friday.

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Supposedly another storm headed my way later this week.
Of course people are freaking out because they're saying like 2 feet of snow.
See what happens Thursday and Friday.

Yeah, everyone is freaking out. My mom told me today to make sure I have plenty of charcoal and food as the storm is expected to knock people's power out. I told her ok, but didn't tell her I have a propane grill Big Grin I have enough food to last my 2 boys and me probably 2 months.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post