SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snowmageddon!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowmageddon!! Login/Join 
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Yep,, close to Ashtabula,Ohio so we got about the same 17” or more. We got hammered. And the worse thing is the plows knocked off my mailbox. Neighbor snow blowed some of my driveway, but I’m in no shape to finish it. Damn, winter wasn’t so hard when I was younger. T

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Good on you making that call. Too often, folks put in needless peril for no good reason.

I also opine that you run things in a manner to deal with downturns in business.

The long game matters.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr_Black
posted Hide Post
Looks like we got about 15 - 20 inches across the border here in Erie. Few more inches expected later tonight. Glad to have the day off for MLK day.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 880 | Location: NW PA | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Black:
Glad to have the day off for MLK day.

Much better to have the rest of my life off work..

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
We got between 12 - 14" at my house. I made it out of my garage and to work but got stuck in my driveway after work. Had to spend an hour snowblowing the driveway and sidewalks but now inside with the heat cranking!

Edited - here's a picture of my Pilot stuck prior to snowblowing Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: remsig,

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
We got about 2"-3" and then it switched over to rain.
When I went out to shovel it was slush; basically I was shoveling water, which was heavy.
My snow blower doesn't handle slush well, so it was all shoveling.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Wow, all we got was a dusting of icy bits. Made everything slippery as heck though. Lucky us, hubby had the day off, and I work from home anyway. So no venturing out today. Tomorrow supposed to be high of 37. Snow showers Wed. Oh joy.
Saw on the news many slide offs and main highways were at a standstill for the icy conditions. Glad we were home.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thankfully we were spared here with only 11" measured on the yardstick.
Just getting started on the driveway early afternoon in this pic.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing but rain and wind here in Hampton Roads / Tidewater area of Virginia. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3057 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
We got between 12 - 14" at my house. I made it out of my garage and to work but got stuck in my driveway after work. Had to spend an hour snowblowing the driveway and sidewalks but now inside with the heat cranking!

I saw ALOT of that this morning and when I came home also. Cars that couldn't get out or in driveways, cars in yards and cars that couldn't get through deep snow turning a corner.
ODOT says they'll have things cleared up in the next 2 days hopefully. We shall see.

Warren city still hasn't plowed hardly any roads including the one in front of my business. They suck.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Our local Fox station said our little town won the snow contest. 28”. Not sure about that as I didn’t go out today.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:

I got stuck in my driveway last night. Took 15 minutes to make it the last 40 feet into the shed where I park.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Those are some impressive numbers. Ohio: 12" = shutdown. Memphis: 1.5" with overnight temps in the low 30's/upper 20's = shutdown. Big Grin

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now it's sunny and 36 deg . No precip until later in the week . Possibly a little freezing rain and colder .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
An honest question from someone who has not driven in snow. How do you drive in snow? What happens to the car? Will the car just "push" thru the snow? Will it drive in say 6" of snow or 2' of snow? Inquiring minds want to know.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do you drive in snow?

Quite frankly, very carefully. Snow tires are a must where it snows often. One must be able to read the conditions. With light and fluffy snow, the vehicle will compact the snow and ride on it. Days like yesterday, where it snowed and turned to rain, expect the base to be wet and slippery.

Turning can be an experience in the snow. Go too fast and the vehicle keeps going straight. The same goes for braking: too fast and you're going right through that stop sign/light.

If you have cities that apply salt on the roads, the salt might melt the snow, but the snow keeps accumulating and that snow melt freezes to a slick layer of ice.

Having been born and raised in northern NH, I've been driving in snow all my driving life. It's funny how one accustomed to driving in snow can easily spot someone who's uncomfortable with it. Those newbies are actually a hazard to everyone on the road.

Hope this answers your questions!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
quote:
How do you drive in snow?

Quite frankly, very carefully. Snow tires are a must where it snows often. One must be able to read the conditions. With light and fluffy snow, the vehicle will compact the snow and ride on it. Days like yesterday, where it snowed and turned to rain, expect the base to be wet and slippery.

Turning can be an experience in the snow. Go too fast and the vehicle keeps going straight. The same goes for braking: too fast and you're going right through that stop sign/light.

If you have cities that apply salt on the roads, the salt might melt the snow, but the snow keeps accumulating and that snow melt freezes to a slick layer of ice.

Having been born and raised in northern NH, I've been driving in snow all my driving life. It's funny how one accustomed to driving in snow can easily spot someone who's uncomfortable with it. Those newbies are actually a hazard to everyone on the road.

Hope this answers your questions!

All true. I was raised in Alaska, mostly Anchorage but also 3 years in Fairbanks.

The only thing I'll add is good snow tires and studs if they're allowed wherever you live. Studded snow tires make a huge difference in stopping/turning/starting ability.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^ I'll add, never come to a complete stop whatever you do.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
When driving in snow it's best to do everything gently - accelerating, stopping, even steering.
Doing any of those as if you're on dry pavement can send you into trouble.

Keep speed down, leave more room than normal and watch out for the drivers that aren't doing these things.

All wheel drive will give you better starting traction, but you won't stop any better than a two-wheel drive car.
A lot of people seem to forget that.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
All season tires are not snow tires. That 4th season can and often does prove that.

Posts: 3438 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post