SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    F150-acting weird
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F150-acting weird Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've had an onging battle with the coil packs for the last few years and I've probably replaced 5-6 of them. I get one taken care of and then a month or so later another one starts acting up.

Going back to the shop again on Thursday.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We have that engine in an Expedition, and despite my earlier smart ass answer, we had to replace some coils.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, it's most likely the VCT sensors. Mine's in the shop for it right now. Same symptoms as yours--shuddering at redlights and stop signs, and it eventually progressed to where it was dying while idling. Giving it a little gas and keeping the RPMs up will (usually) keep it from dying. I was told by the Ford dealership it's require an engine teardown to fix.

You need a new mechanic.

The Camshaft position sensors are definately NOT an engine teardown to fix. They come right out the front of the timing cover. On the 5.4 the book says remove the inlet tube but that's it.

The VCT Solenoid comes out the top of the valve covers. Again, not much comes off the engine.

If you have the 5.4L 3 valve motor and your Cam Phasers failed (which happens with moderate frequency) you will have VCT issues, but you will normally also be able to hear a rattle from the front of one or both heads as the cam sprocket is loose. Replacing those is a little more complicated but you still only need to take the front cover off the engine. Hardly a teardown. You should see what exactly they are doing.

As for Mike's truck, he didn't say what engine he had, but the whole VCT thing is really only an issue in the 5.4. The 4.6 2-valve Mod Motor doesn't have variable cam timing.

With those motors, and that mileage, it's almost certainly the coil packs. Especially since it's humidity dependent and clears up once the engine get's hot enough to dry out.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It's the 5.4 Triton engine...

thanks for the info so far guys!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is 99+% coils. you need a good scanner and as DEC505 says look at the power readings and misfire data it will tell you right away which one(s).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11021 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogmush:
quote:
Mike, it's most likely the VCT sensors. Mine's in the shop for it right now. Same symptoms as yours--shuddering at redlights and stop signs, and it eventually progressed to where it was dying while idling. Giving it a little gas and keeping the RPMs up will (usually) keep it from dying. I was told by the Ford dealership it's require an engine teardown to fix.

You need a new mechanic.

The Camshaft position sensors are definately NOT an engine teardown to fix. They come right out the front of the timing cover. On the 5.4 the book says remove the inlet tube but that's it.

The VCT Solenoid comes out the top of the valve covers. Again, not much comes off the engine.

If you have the 5.4L 3 valve motor and your Cam Phasers failed (which happens with moderate frequency) you will have VCT issues, but you will normally also be able to hear a rattle from the front of one or both heads as the cam sprocket is loose. Replacing those is a little more complicated but you still only need to take the front cover off the engine. Hardly a teardown. You should see what exactly they are doing.

As for Mike's truck, he didn't say what engine he had, but the whole VCT thing is really only an issue in the 5.4. The 4.6 2-valve Mod Motor doesn't have variable cam timing.

With those motors, and that mileage, it's almost certainly the coil packs. Especially since it's humidity dependent and clears up once the engine get's hot enough to dry out.

Thank you for the info. The dealer has the truck at the moment. It's being fixed under warranty, so at least there's that. LOL

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I’ve replaced the #7 and #2 ignition coils on my 2003 F150 FX4 over the course of the past few years. Both times were after experiencing similar rough idling and driving. Two down six to go. Wink

Edited to add that if you have an Autozone nearby, they will run diagnostics for free while your truck is in their parking lot and will tell you which cylinder is throwing the code.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I’m in the coil camp too. Many times the rear most coil on the passenger side can have coolant leaking onto it and getting down into the spark plug hole.

A good scanner will help determine the misfiring cylinder. I can also determine a misfiring cylinder by using my Fluke 88 and RPM clamp.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is worth adding that just sitting a parking lot with a scanner (the autozone idea) is unlikely to get a good read on this. just from experience. If it does great, but most likely you and the scanner need to go for a ride. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11021 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Good info on the VCT solenoid, I suspect my 2005 just started having this issue.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Since you just had the plugs replaces, start with the basics. Check that each plug wire has been put back on all the way.

Posts: 9557 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
If it should be a coil pack, replace all of them at once, pretty easy to do. Youtube has videos on this. When one goes, another one is ready to go also. Don't ask how I know this. I got mine from Rock Auto.

Posts: 5314 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post