SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    F150-acting weird
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F150-acting weird Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
2005 F150 with 125K on it,

had it checked over in Jun before we drove 1300 miles to TX, I fixed what the shop suggested, new ball joints, new plugs (theysaid dont bother witht he coils or wires)

so recently, when it's wet out, it "shudders" (almost like a cylinder is not firing)when I'm leaving the driveway to drive a mile and stand in line to drop off the little person who eats all of our food....on days it's dry- no problem

-no lights on, on the dash...
-i've been thru several tanks of gas and it's not that...
-put it in Neutral and it still does it...
-stays like that for a few miles until the thing heats up...
-talked to my dad who thinks it might be a "transmission sensor"

any input would be helpful

Added, it's a 5.4 Triton engine

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
F150s in those years are notorious for going through coil packs. They will start showing symptoms before they start throwing codes. I would bet money on a coil pack going bad. My buddy and I both had 2003s and we replaced several on both trucks.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
This has nothing to do with rain, motor/trans mounts?

Posts: 5360 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine would do something like that at low speed (start/stop) traffic or reversing very low speed. Engine would shake like it was about to come off the mounts. It would do it intermittently but always at low speed. Push on the gas or put in neutral and give it some gas, would isually go away. Turned out to be the VCT valve/sensors. They have 2 (one on each side of the engine at the front of the balve covers.

Also coil pack can make it run rough as well but not the shudder I described above. Coil packs will throw a code that is easy to find which one is misfiring. The VCT valve dis not show any codes or check engine lights for me.

ETA: 07’ F150 w/5.4L

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1115 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I'd guess coil packs too. Although, my F150 had a small vacuum leak from an obscure vacuum line clear on the back of the motor (5.4L) that yielded similar symptoms, but they were pretty much constant. It took me months to find it and the part I replaced (plastic elbow) was less than .50 cents.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

on days it's dry- no problem
If I read you correctly, your problem is associated with humidity.

I had a Honda that would stumble or quit on rainy days. It turned out that insulation on the ignition coil was breaking down when it got wet. The way I found it, I was almost home one day when it started to rain. The rough running started, I got home and into the garage while it was still running. Opened the hood, did not turn the garage lights on, and in the dim light it was easy to see the arcing at the coil.

Replaced the coil and the problem disappeared.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30748 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Vtail: Yes, when it's wet outside...rain or heavy fog, but after a few minutes it warms up and goes away.....

Sigmatic: How does one check coil packs??

Sig77: I have not replaced the coil packs, never had a problem....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11311 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Timing? I had to have both my chains and all the guides replaced at about 110,000 miles. They were shot.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First thing I would do is inspect the coil packs for cracks in the housing. If there is a crack, it takes very little moisture to cause a short in the coil pack.

Good Luck

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sigmatic: How does one check coil packs??

I've had several go bad over the years (my truck is within spitting distance of 300,000 miles) and, as I recall, they've always thrown codes. I've usually just gone to a parts store and had them identify the coil with a scanner, and then just replaced it myself. Unless it's in a hard to reach spot it's usually just a few minutes to replace.

I would also add that I have probably damaged a couple when washing off the engine, as I noticed symptoms shortly thereafter. I don't clean the motor as often now. Wink

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Acting weird?

Tell it to straighten up and fly right.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Had 2004 - did similar, was told coil packs or phasers going. Don’t know as decided to trade in.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
All of these guessing is useless. Have a qualified mechanic plata scanner into it and monitor power balance this will show which cylinder is miss firing. Or look at mode six for miss fire data

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEC505:
All of these guessing is useless. Have a qualified mechanic plata scanner into it and monitor power balance this will show which cylinder is miss firing. Or look at mode six for miss fire data

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I have coil packs that are going bad but aren't throwing codes. The first time it was bad for close to 3 years before it finally threw a code. It was the #6cylinder.

It started up again this past spring and has done it all summer until now, when the humidity has gone way down. Now it's not doing it at all.

BMW coilpacks aren't cheap, that's why I haven't swapped them all out.

So, you can:
1) Replace them all - Not a bad idea considering your mileage
2) Replace one and then swap around until it stops - Good route if you don't have the cash on hand for all 6/8
3) Wait until it throws a code - It's what I'm doing for now.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6853 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I smell an ignition coil. Being as this is coil-on-plug ignition, there are eight of them. Even if it doesn't misfire long enough to turn on the engine light, it might still have a misfire code, which (if present) will narrow it down. If there is no code, past misfires may be able to be seen on a scan tool set for Mode 6. The technician can also drive the truck while observing cylinder contribution on a scanner, but it has to be acting up at the time. Also, if this is a 5.4 3-valve engine, this has the POS spark plugs that break in half on removal. If they have been done before you can disregard this.

Posts: 28021 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
squirt bottle and spray each coil pack one at a time.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost certainly coil packs, it's a known issue on the mod motors, and Coil Packs wear out. 125k is a good run. You should replace them as preventative maintenance.

You can get a full set of chinese ones on Amazon for $50-$60 that actually work pretty well, or you can spring for Delphi's or Motorcrafts at ~$40 a piece.

I would go ahead and do the whole set though, as if one went, others will follow.

If you have a 5.4 read up on the cam phasers as well.

ETA: That link is just illustrative. You didn't say which engine you have and there are a couple designs of the boots, so You'd want to make sure you get the right set.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worn out plug wires will cause that problem, showing up only when it is rainy.

-c1steve

Posts: 4065 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
Mike, it's most likely the VCT sensors. Mine's in the shop for it right now. Same symptoms as yours--shuddering at redlights and stop signs, and it eventually progressed to where it was dying while idling. Giving it a little gas and keeping the RPMs up will (usually) keep it from dying. I was told by the Ford dealership it's require an engine teardown to fix.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post