SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dallas County DA will not prosecute for "low-level" crimes
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dallas County DA will not prosecute for "low-level" crimes Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I always thought a "Low Level" crime was spitting on the sidewalk, or Jay-Walking.

The bar has been moved up quite a bit. Our new Idiot Prosecutor said his office wouldn't issue any warrants (citations aka tickets only) on Class E felonies and below, which include Stalking, Aggravated Stalking, several child sex crimes, Felony Non Support (which the new Prosecutor has been guilty of), all stealing and property damage crimes. Same stupid ideas that have not worked anywhere except to raise crime rates.

quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
Is illegal entry a small crime ?

Yes. It is down from Burglary to Trespassing to Illegal Entry = no crime.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Yes, the not prosecuting or punishing for low level crimes has worked out real well for Alaska.

You can say that again. My last couple of years as a cop, after SB91 passed, were a nightmare. I could, and I hate using this word, but it applies here.....I could for example, LITERALLY,arrest a DUI who blew a .200 (number doesn't matter, it's just an example from memory), take them to jail, and they would be OUT THE FRONT DOOR before I even finished up the booking paperwork. More than once the person I'd arrested for DUI was picked up a second time for DUI in the same night. No jail time for all misdemeanors except in the case of a DV assault, or a 2nd DUI. Ridiculous, and one of the main reasons I decided to get out when I did.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
So if they are not going to prosecute these crimes are the Law Enforcement Agencies not going to respond to thefts under $750? Is it not a waste of department resources to send out an officer(s) on something that will go no further? Is this amount a diminished value? So the insurance company devalues an item 20% per year if someone is looking for an enclosed trailer just take one that is six years old? Value is less then $750. What is the property value amount limit a Texan can protect with lethal force?

The agency I work for will still send a cop to take the report, but it is essentially documentation only for a number to give insurance and you may be waiting two hours or more before the cop shows up.

We also offer a convenient internet reporting option. Self serve, you write your own report online. Kind of like self checkout at the WalMart...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Anytime you hear anyone mention Criminal Justice “reform”, it is BOHICA for society.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
The ultimate result will be Kim Foxx's Chicago.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Just keep that BS south of George Bush please......

We need to keep Texas .....Texas

Tejas lawyers....is it true you can use deadly force to protect property? I had heard that but wanted to confirm it?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of opening a gun store in the worst section oin the predominantly Somali area of Minneapolis-St. Paul. I want to name it "Bakara Market."

If I did something similar in the worst part of Dallas, what should I name it?

Hood's Hood High Hi-Point!'?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Tejas lawyers....is it true you can use deadly force to protect property? I had heard that but wanted to confirm it?
I heard that when I moved to Dallas in 1980, but I believe it was said that it was only legal after dark. (Maybe related to not being able to discern if the thief was armed?)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Just keep that BS south of George Bush please......

We need to keep Texas .....Texas

The law provides more allowances after dark. Read the CHL manual. Joe Horn is the most publicized example.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$750 is low level now?

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
We’re getting like The Purge.
Life imitates art.

We could use a Purge............imagine the good that could come of it with our skills.

Time was most Texans took care of things themselves....................

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4562 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
$750 is low level now?

it really depends. If Felonius kicks in my door and steals my jamomatic 1000 and then on his way to deliver his blankets to the poor he stops and pistol-whips some poor soul and steals $749 dollars from him I'll be facing the bench for failure to lock up my shooter and the fact that he got is prima facie evidence that it wasn't locked up.

10 grand, felony, possible jail, for me not Felonius.

makes sense though when you think about it...if you've been drinking.

Posts: 6358 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I bet if a CHL holder doesn't see one of those stupid 30-06 signs, this DA would be all over it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
$750 is low level now?

Do you even inflation, bro?

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If the government is going to encourage theft (and the violence that will inevitably come with it) then a whole bunch of this filth needs to be removed from the planet with extreme prejudice by the people they're attempting to prey on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigdeal,

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
"prey on"

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
"prey on"

flashguy
Ease up will ya. No reading glasses + Cellphone + autocomplete = All sorts of unintended outcomes.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Or...they just turn them loose like they did with Smolett. Same difference.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work for a large agency in Dallas County - I've been torn with just how to respond to this post, wanting to stay reasonable without interjecting my emotions into my post.

There is tremendous pushback from all of the police departments affected by this, we are just keeping the discussions and our responses out of the news media. I'll leave it at that.

Additionally, a lot of us are already using a work around to them not wanting to pursue Theft cases under $750. Normally, any Theft over $100 can be filed as a Class B Misdemeanor, placing the case within the county court system. However, it is common for patrol officers to respond to these and will reduce the charge at the scene to Attempted Theft u/ $750, making the charge a Class C Misdemeanor which places the case in their respective city court. The city court's are all "courts of record", so the defendants still end up with a conviction on their record. As soon as they rack up enough theft convictions, any new Theft offense bumps up to a felony, which the county then has to prosecute since it falls outside of the DA's office new guidance.

Through all of this, I'm reminded of the struggle Bullitt faced with Chalmers throughout the movie, and will end with these quotes:

Chalmers: "Come on, now. Don't be naive, Lieutenant. We both know how careers are made. Integrity is something you sell the public." Bullitt: "You sell whatever you want, but don't sell it here tonight."

[Bullitt to Chalmers] "You believe what you want. Look, you work your side of the street, and I'll work mine."

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post