SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    At what point do you pull your firearm and defend yourself?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At what point do you pull your firearm and defend yourself? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I drew on a road rager last year. They followed me nearly home and I wound up getting blocked in with the front bumpers of each vehicle nearly touching. Before they could get out of their car with the short baseball bat they made I knew they had, I drew my Glock, held it up so it could clearly seen and then slapped it down on the dashboard. Everything stopped. We stared at each other for several minutes. I’ve never been glared at with such burning hatred. Eventually, sense took hold over the rager and they backed up and left.

I’ve read and been told a thousand times so many different ways that you should only draw if you’re actually about to shoot someone. I think it’s nonsense. Brandish a ball bat at me and make me think you’re going to get out of your car and come after me with it, and I’m going to draw. I never aimed or even touched it again except to reholster it, but boy did it de-escalate the everloving out of that situation. If you think some shit is about to go down that means you’re about to take a beating or worse, pull the damn gun. Don’t wait until you’re taking damage.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
If you're carrying a gun, and someone threatens force to take your wallet, how do you know he won't take your gun as well if you submit? And what will he do with that gun? If you carry, be prepared to shoot someone who threatens you with deadly force, or don't carry.

This and what Skins2881 said.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
At what point do you pull your firearm and defend yourself?

Most here view firearms as a means of self-defense. Some view them as recreational tools. Some use them to protect themselves from predatory animals. Some hunt. Some just collect them.

There are eleventy bazillion reasons to own firearms in the world today. But what if you encounter armed assailant(s)?

Do you just hand over your possessions? Or do you use a gun to defend yourself, especially if:

You are carjacked? (“Get out of the car! Give me the keys!”)
You are mugged alone somewhere? (Wallet, watch, and phone, NOW!)
You are with your family or friends somewhere? (Wallets, watches, and phones, NOW!”)
How about if your home is invaded in the night? (You hear glass breaking or someone moving through your house.)

Many of you will disagree with me, but if I have to pull a gun, then several other things have gone wrong first. My property is not worth my life. Nor is it worth killing another person for. They can have it. There are only a few exceptions to this.

Now when you threaten my family or friends with bodily harm, murder, or rape, then we have a problem.

What are your thoughts? Where do you fit into this?

H&K-Guy

At what point? I don't know. Really. I'll tell you when it happens, and if I'll live to tell the tale.

The slight problem with your line of thinking in red is this. You simply have no ideas, even if you cooperate fully, that they won't kill you. There are plenty of documented stories of victims being killed after they have cooperated with the scums. Btw, you shoot to stop, not to kill. Wink

Q

Posts: 26506 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^About 12-15 years ago I wrote a magazine article about a Vietnamese grocery store that was robbed by three black teens in Harrisburg, PA. There was complete video from the surveillance cameras. The teens enter and draw guns. The wife opens the register and completely empties it. Lifts the draw and removes some bills under it. Hands everything over. The husband stands with his hands up.

They take the money, and head for the door. Two exit, and the third turns-- and shoots the man in the head.

Gang initiation.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'm a 6' tall 200lbs+ man with a frown and not much to say. If someone wants to fuck with me, they've got to be despite enough to kill I act accordingly.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
This beautiful young lady was a cashier during a strong arm robbery that she complied with and handed over everything in the register, only to have the guy slit her throat:

http://komonews.com/news/local...robbery-and-stabbing

https://www.kiro7.com/news/man...ton-robbery/43526719

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
At what point do you pull your firearm and defend yourself?

I think you have to be there to know.
You can't pre-determine your options too much.
Fear of life or similar harm ought to be your guideline.

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I would throw out there that bodily harm or life threatening situations can be different from person to person. You as a Black Belt (hypothetical) may not feel the same level of harm as I, someone that’s had a broken back and two fusions. I’m not going to kill someone cause they stole my lawn mower, but I most certainly am not getting into a physical brawl if I can draw my weapon. YMMV. As has been said many times here, cooperation does not mean your safe. I’ll never forget going into the house of an older couple as a paramedic once. They had been robbed and murdered. They were hog tied beside each other on the floor with their throats cut...they clearly didn’t put up a fight.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

At what point? I don't know. Really. I'll tell you when it happens, and if I'll live to tell the tale.

The slight problem with your line of thinking in red is this. You simply have no ideas, even if you cooperate fully, that they won't kill you. There are plenty of documented stories of victims being killed after they have cooperated with the scums. Btw, you shoot to stop, not to kill. Wink

12131, you bring up some good points. Now I have some things I have to think about.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My property is not worth my life. Nor is it worth killing another person for. They can have it.

It is NEVER only about the value of your property. It is , at very least, about a transgression of your human rights and your sense of safety and security. It is also about the overall generall civil order in our society.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The problem with all this is we live in a modern litigious society. People like Jeff Cooper said not only is it you're right to defend yourself, but more importantly it's your duty to society. Understood and agreed. Ideally I'd like to see every single robber DEAD! We don't need them for a single thing.

The down side in our modern times is, if you shoot someone, kill them or not, your life is probably ruined. Like they say, you can beat the wrap but you can't beat the ride.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Use common sense. I mean really. Pie in the sky what if's are great and all, but if you use a hint of common sense it makes all the what if's completely unnecessary.

Use common sense.
Refuse to be a victim by doing simple things like locking doors, keeping your fucking NOSE out of your phone, paying attention, not going bad places at bad times when bad things happen, etc
Don't use a gun just because you have it.
Don't escalate confrontation because of your ego.
A good run is always better than a bad stand.
Always have an escape route.

Seriously. If you do simple things, it often wards off the bad things. A small percentage of the time it doesn't. But, common sense will still get you a long way there too.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Watch the active self protection YouTube page. (MUST WATCH)
https://m.youtube.com/channel/...vF2ImeNWh84mw/videos

You'll formulate your own plans after watching all the valuable lessons learned from real life footage.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

I’ve read and been told a thousand times so many different ways that you should only draw if you’re actually about to shoot someone.

I don't have an issue with that, nor do I believe you must shoot if you draw your weapon - BUT, you must be prepared to in case de-escalation fails.

And if those guys had gotten out of the car with the bat, it certainly might have been time to shoot someone.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m glad it didn’t go down that way. For a bit, there, it was really looking I was going to have to do the thing none of us wants to do.

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

You'll formulate your own plans after watching all the valuable lessons learned from real life footage.

Wow. so much to learn. So much to learn.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Care to link a video or three that are at the top of list to watch. That's a lot of videos to choose from.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20846 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
There’s probably some standouts that others would recommend, but honestly, each video and situation is so different that it really is worth your time to just go down the rabbit hole on that channel.

posted Hide Post
I constantly wonder how my judgement will be affected while experiencing an adrenaline dump, panic, hopefully not rage....and a bladder dump all at the same time. I try to stay focused on awareness of my surroundings and carrying a mouse gun in my front pocket, primary in the shoot me first fanny pack. I can look totally relaxed and nonthreatening and have a gun in a firing grip. Be cordial to all and have a plan to take them out if needed.

I think I would tend to draw early but not reveal or point unless things were real dire. Since you really don't know what the other person is capable of, it seems it would be prudent or proactive to act at the first sign of aggression towards you or others.

And if I was in a rage....see me on CNN. Hurt my loved ones..pray you expire of gunshot wounds..come in my house and you deal with my wife.

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post