SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    recommendations for whole room hepa air cleaner ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

recommendations for whole room hepa air cleaner ... Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I need a whole room (preferably large room) Hepa air purifier, portable floor model with regular wall plug.

Any recommendations or advice greatly appreciated. The more I shop the more confusing it gets.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possible other alternative…..

I installed a Trane Clean effects electrostatic filter on my HVAC system and have been extremely happy. Dust and general airborne particulate is essentially zero. Still have merv 4 filters at the primary return for big stuff like dog hair

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There were a few articles recently showing a hepa furnace filter against a simple box fan did as good or better a job than most other solutions.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
We use Winix products in our classrooms. They are quiet. Don't seem to have any problems with them so far; it's been about a year since we started using them.

Winix

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
See this link: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/8950001444

The filters Crom and I both mentioned do a good job of cleaning out a large room.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Bought a couple WINIX from Costco and love how well they are made.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a WINIX AM 80 at Costco today for $139.99. It's very quiet. Easy unbox and to get it working. Time will tell if it works well.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I've been using this Levoit unit for 4 months. Makes a noticeable difference. Don't know if it's powerful enough for your needs, but for $100 I couldn't be happier. Pretty quiet too, don't usually notice when it's on.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16356 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I used Winix until they started going out on me… after 2-3 years. I’m slowly replacing them with Allen units. I’m quite impressed with them.

https://alen.com/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
I've been using Medify Air products since the big fires that filled my area with smoke denser than fog. I bought 3, a 2 pack of MA 25, which clean 500 sqft area every 30 minutes. As well as a MA 40 that is good for 840 sqft. Quick and easy I couldn't be happier. It is a night and day difference.

Purchased them a year ago today actually.

I highly recommend them. Quiet running and have held up fine for a year now. They are warrentied as long as you replace the filters.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i have the MinusA2 https://www.rabbitair.com/pages/minusa2-air-purifier

its been going 24/7 for 5 years replacement filters can be pricey but it just works the new one out the A3 will cover 200 sq ft more

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Something to consider as a “goes with” for filter systems… you can have a disinfecting UV light installed in your HVAC system. When we had a new system installed a couple years ago they put ine in at our request. It wasn’t expensive and is pretty much no maintenance until the lamp needs replacing.

Posts: 6367 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are expensive but the one you REALLY want is a Molkule.

https://molekule.com

They are not only a HEPA air filtration unit but they have a UV Light that traps and actually DESTROYS allergens and even VIRUS'. Yes they have been proven to DESTROY COVID Molecules.

I have tried numerous different HEPA filters that have helped some to somewhat with my Asthma, the Molekule has gotten me to where I no longer need to inhale cortico steroids.

I know they cost a LOT but they have ended up saving me a good bit of money in the long run no longer having to buy expensive inhalers, missing days of work etc. The Molecule are a true cut above technology. Do yourself a favor and at least seriously consider investing in one or more of them. You will be GLAD you did!

........DJ

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I used Winix until they started going out on me… after 2-3 years. I’m slowly replacing them with Allen units. I’m quite impressed with them.

https://alen.com/

Well I took your advice dry-fly, and looked at the Alen brand units you suggested. After more research and talking to a tech rep at the company, I was impressed. I like these units because they are simple, compared to other branded units, w/out multiple chambers with multiple filtering modules, etc. Very clean and simple. Made in USA, no Chinesium plastic off gassing, appears to be solid, simple, well made, well engineered, blowing vents flow upward (apparently a better design), with almost universal good reviews on the net.

So I bought one. Purchased directly from the Alen company in Texas, which gave me the lifetime warranty for purchasing directly from them, and they still matched the best price I could find on Amazon, using their own "Amazon discount code" (which I asked for). The Tech rep converted into a Sales fulfillment agent after I asked to purchase, and she sold it to me over the phone. That person was excellent, appears that company figured out that to sell premium products you have to put your premium people in front of your customer base. Some companies still haven't figured that out.

I'll post again after it arrives and I've slept with it a few nights, as I mentioned earlier my allergies are worse than bad. This should help.

Thanks very much dry-fly !

And thanks to everyone too.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
This thread has given me the impetus to purchase a Winix air purifier. So far I really like it!

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I've been using this Levoit unit for 4 months. Makes a noticeable difference. Don't know if it's powerful enough for your needs, but for $100 I couldn't be happier. Pretty quiet too, don't usually notice when it's on.

Have the older model of this in kids room for 3.5 years - works well, filters aren't outrageous.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post