SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What other technologies have been stifled as bad vehicle mpg over the last 30 years??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What other technologies have been stifled as bad vehicle mpg over the last 30 years?? Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Don't forget the EPA also changed the mpg calculation in the early 2000s and every cars mpg rating dropped by like 20% overnight.

How can you change math?

Miles / Gallons = MPG

The HWY calculation is now done at 75 mph. The City rating has more stops.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Full sized trucks have gained the most in mpg, not just the raw numbers, but also taking into account how much they have grown in size. When is the last time you saw a standard cab truck? Almost everything is extended or "crew" cab these days. Frames, suspension and wheels/tires are bigger and beefier than in years past, as well as engines growing more powerful.

Posts: 28685 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read all of these complaints about ethanol in gasoline and cannot help but wonder why all the negatives. Having purchased a Ford Fiesta ST I've been acquainting myself with it's potential for performance upgrades. BTW, go full boat and you can build a Fiesta that will beat a Hellcat in the 1/4 mile, the video is up on youtube.

Anyhow one of the first stage upgrades many people take is to install an E30 Tune. E30 is a mix of pump premium and E85 that produces a 30% Ethanol mix. The reason why is because Ethanol has an octane of 108 if I've been reading actual fact (trust not what your read on the Net) AND Ethanol produces a large drop in temperature as it mixes in the intake stream. End result is you get a cooler and denser intake charge with a fuel mix that is higher octane than 93 gas. So, you can bump up the boost and throw in more timing and that means more horsepower. Note, an E30 tune is good for a boost of about 15-25 HP but the mid range torque gain can be much greater. Spend about 20-30K and you can start looking for Hellcats to pick on.

PS; coming from a 1986 Cutlass Supreme with it's 16 mppg in town and 2 mph on the highway I'm liking my Fiesta a LOT. In addition the Fiesta ST is a Rocket in terms of "passing power" in comparison to the 140 hp 307 in the Cutlass.

As for my Fiesta, until I get a race prepped short block I'm keeping it mild, may even leave the factory tune in place because the stock 1.6 Ecoboost uses cast pistons. As for gas mileage I have about 220 miles on the trip meter at present and the average speed is showing 24 MPH and Fuel Economy is at 31.1 MPG. Yeah, it's all stop and go. I have a 5 mile drive to work with 11 to 12 stop lights and signs, so lots of gas wasted getting back up to speed (30 mph). Highway mileage is 39 MPG at a steady 74 mph on a level road 6-700 feet above sea level.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
A higher ethanol blend may give more power, but it will definitely lower mpg, because C2H3OH has a lower heat content than gasoline and it takes more of the higher blend to create the same amount of heat. (Yes, you can use a higher compression ratio, but it still takes more fuel.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I read all of these complaints about ethanol in gasoline and cannot help but wonder why all the negatives. Having purchased a Ford Fiesta ST I've been acquainting myself with it's potential for performance upgrades. BTW, go full boat and you can build a Fiesta that will beat a Hellcat in the 1/4 mile, the video is up on youtube.

Anyhow one of the first stage upgrades many people take is to install an E30 Tune. E30 is a mix of pump premium and E85 that produces a 30% Ethanol mix. The reason why is because Ethanol has an octane of 108 if I've been reading actual fact (trust not what your read on the Net) AND Ethanol produces a large drop in temperature as it mixes in the intake stream. End result is you get a cooler and denser intake charge with a fuel mix that is higher octane than 93 gas. So, you can bump up the boost and throw in more timing and that means more horsepower. Note, an E30 tune is good for a boost of about 15-25 HP but the mid range torque gain can be much greater. Spend about 20-30K and you can start looking for Hellcats to pick on.

If you want to go fast E-30 is the way to go.

Do the make a larger IC for your FiST? E-30 tune, IC, and CAI should really make her scoot.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
That 1989 Civic weighs a thousand pounds less than a 2019 Civic. Then '89 might have made 92 HP. The 2019 makes 150, give or take.

Driving down the highway doing 60 in a 55 is a lot different than doing 80 in a 70, efficiency-wise.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Do the make a larger IC for your FiST? E-30 tune, IC, and CAI should really make her scoot.

There are many choices for intercoolers, tunes, etc. for the FiST. Mountune USA is who did my tune: https://www.mountuneusa.com/fo...nce-parts-s/1477.htm
Whoosh Motorsports did my intercooler: https://whoosh-motorsports.mys...-2017-ford-fiesta-st

EDIT: We are derailing this thread.

Posts: 3865 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:

There are many choices for intercoolers, tunes, etc. for the FiST. Mountune USA is who did my tune: https://www.mountuneusa.com/fo...nce-parts-s/1477.htm
Whoosh Motorsports did my intercooler: https://whoosh-motorsports.mys...-2017-ford-fiesta-st

Not sure what direction it's going, so I don't think we are derailing it. A number of people have mentioned the perils of E gas, which in general I'm not a big fan of, but with today's boosted engines, tunes, timing, shift points ethanol can be quite useful. IDGAF about gas mileage, I care about 1st 60 and 1/4 times.

Damn Woosh carries more stuff on their one site than the entirety of the internet for my Sport. I'm new to this world and just bought my Sport so I'm nervous about warranty, especially since it's a pleasure car not a DD. Only thing I'm doing at first is IC and catch can, pretty hard to say either of those contributing to any failure and voiding warranty.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21141 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean if you just don't care about surviving a car crash and just want maximum mpg, get a scooter or motorcycle.

My '02 Harley only gets about 38-39 mpg average.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Skins, I get that in my 4.0L 4Runner with AT tires and a roof rack, and I'm not easy on the pedal.

I get better than that in my 2014 Jeep Rubi' with Mud Terrain tires.

Me too with my Wrangler Sport and Duratracs!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
I mean if you just don't care about surviving a car crash and just want maximum mpg, get a scooter or motorcycle.

Ok... There are plenty of motorcycles that get 70mpg though.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:

No worries.
Considering the thread never really made it on the rails in the first place.
As only 3 people have actually answered the actual question.

Supersonic Air Travel
Showerheads
Space Exploration/Travel

Partially my fault as I did not phrase the question very well in my opening post.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
My dad is a CFO for a small trucking company, has been for the last 30 years. They used to get 4.5mpg, and are now getting almost 9 mpg fleet wide - doubled fuel efficiency in that time frame over millions (literally) of miles. Combination of better engine tech, tire tech, and aerodynamics.

Posts: 2162 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:

Ok... There are plenty of motorcycles that get 70mpg though.
But they don't sound as good! Smile

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
What other technologies, you ask? How long does it take you to get the soap and dirt off using a "water saving" shower head?

Not to mention how many times you need a double flush with the 'water saving' toilets.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8365 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Weight.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12706 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
My dad is a CFO for a small trucking company, has been for the last 30 years. They used to get 4.5mpg, and are now getting almost 9 mpg fleet wide - doubled fuel efficiency in that time frame over millions (literally) of miles. Combination of better engine tech, tire tech, and aerodynamics.

I’ve been involved in trucking for 20 years. I don’t know of any truck that can average 9mpg loaded. Around 1999-2000, Detroit had the 60 series pushing into the 7-8 range, but then the EPA smacked them for shipping with different software than what was certified. Add on the mandated EGR by 2004, and the engines were back to averaging around 6mpg.

There is no engine that is doing well with the DPF filters that were mandated in 2007. The engines just can’t breath, and it costs a fortune to keep them running. Mandates have been a disaster for the trucking industry. Instead of trucks being in service for 2-3 million miles, most large fleets are ditching their stock at 500,000K. You cannot afford to run a truck out of warranty anymore. A million mile truck is now more of an oddity, where they were very common when I started.

How much pollution and energy are required to manufacture a new truck? The Government doesn’t care. It collects FET (sales taxes) on new truck sales, but gets nothing from keeping an older truck in service.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8276 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:

My wifes 1.0 liter 2016 Ford Focus, get's mileage as good as my Harley. She is averaging around 43 MPG in that thing.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I had a 2009 Subaru WRX. I changed out the entire exhaust, turbo back with high flow cats. New intercooler, and a pro tune on a dyno via a Cobb Accessport. Stock baseline was 230HP/209TQ. After the upgrades, it was 309HP/320TQ.

Prior to the tune, if I kept my foot out if it, I would get 17 mpg. After the tune, same driving, I would get 21 mpg.

Most of this was due to efficient fuel air mapping, and running leaner. Most turbocharged cars run pig rich with fuel, to keep from issues with hot spotting a cylinder wall, pistons, ring damage, etc. Running rich is safer and while it craps on mileage, the car is far less likely to fail during its warranty.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4364 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn Woosh carries more stuff on their one site than the entirety of the internet for my Sport. I'm new to this world and just bought my Sport so I'm nervous about warranty, especially since it's a pleasure car not a DD.

Whoosh is one guy (Ron) who started the business because he is a FiST fan. He makes cool stuff, sells cool products from other manufacturers.
My FiST is out of warranty, so the modding is carefree. I've had 300+hp FWD cars before (SE-R), and do not care to go down that road again. Under 300, there is a sweet spot, IMHO.
It is the funnest (not fastest, not quickest) car I've ever had.

Posts: 3865 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post