SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Russia's new £3million tank has flushable on-board toilet
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russia's new £3million tank has flushable on-board toilet Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Smile

“Russia has achieved a world first with its latest £3million battle tank which comes complete with a flushable on-board toilet.

The three-man T-14 Armata has been promoted by the Kremlin as the most sophisticated armoured vehicle produced and will bring an end to operators having to relieve themselves in ammunition boxes that have been nicknamed by some soldiers, 'Putin's Poo Tins.'

Soldiers can be on duty for days without stopping meaning that a more modern solution to their toilet needs had to be found.

The tank comes kitted out with state of the art equipment including a 125mm smooth-bore cannon, shell-resistant armour, computer software capable of locking onto targets and two machine guns.

It can also travel at speeds of more than 50mph…”

https://mol.im/a/7834523

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Smile

“Russia has achieved a world first with its latest £3million battle tank which comes complete with a flushable on-board toilet.

The three-man T-14 Armata has been promoted by the Kremlin as the most sophisticated armoured vehicle produced and will bring an end to operators having to relieve themselves in ammunition boxes that have been nicknamed by some soldiers, 'Putin's Poo Tins.'

Soldiers can be on duty for days without stopping meaning that a more modern solution to their toilet needs had to be found.

The tank comes kitted out with state of the art equipment including a 125mm smooth-bore cannon, shell-resistant armour, computer software capable of locking onto targets and two machine guns.

...and add to that that so far there are somewhat less than twenty of them in existence.

Posts: 11327 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Fighting WWII since ... well, WWII.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Adds an entirely new meaning to ‘fire in the hole’

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Is the holding tank hooked up to the cannon? That would be a truly fearsome weapon!

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Is the holding tank hooked up to the cannon? That would be a truly fearsome weapon!

Great minds think alike...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Smile

...and add to that that so far there are somewhat less than twenty of them in existence.

Do not forget that they also have to have fuel to move. I assume they use diesel as gasoline was FAR too explosive.

I was in 3AD and experienced both diesel and gasoline fueled tanks. Trust me, they do not want gasoline powered tanks! I saw several of our gasoline fueled tanks go up in smoke and flames, not to mention explosions from the ammunition inside.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Throw a beverage cooler and an IPAD for entertaining and I am good to go. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

quote:
The tank comes kitted out with state of the art equipment including a 125mm smooth-bore cannon, shell-resistant armour, computer software capable of locking onto targets and two machine guns.

Like we've had for almost 40 years now?

quote:

For days?? Too bad there are no bathing facilities. Can you imagine how "ripe" it must get in there? Eek
(I don't think they would actually be locked up inside it all that time. They would surely open it up to air out while, say, refueling.)

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
shell-resistant armour

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
(I don't think they would actually be locked up inside it all that time. They would surely open it up to air out while, say, refueling.)

Not if they were observing NBC protocols. I suppose these new tanks are NBC compliant without the crew being in elevated MOP? If so, it must be air conditioned, which would help. Haven't out tanks been this way since the A2?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teach me....I was surprised when the article mentioned "smooth bore". I just assumed everything modern would be rifled....why would one use a smooth bore ?

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Teach me....I was surprised when the article mentioned "smooth bore". I just assumed everything modern would be rifled....why would one use a smooth bore ?

Actually, basically everything modern (as far as tank guns go) is smooth bore.

Rounds for tank guns almost universally use a discarding sabot design and a projectile stabilized with fins.

The discarding sabot lets you shoot a very long, skinny projectile (in our terms, a projectile with very high sectional density for good penetration) out of a much larger bore gun so you can get very high muzzle velocity. Basically, the chamber pressure gets to push on the larger area of the sabot, so it imparts more energy than the same chamber pressure in a bore the diameter of the projectile (you'd have to remove the fins).

The antitank penetrator round used in the M1 Abrams has a muzzle velocity of about 5,500 fps.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
...why would one use a smooth bore ?

Smooth bores have been used on tank guns for many years. The reduced friction from the lack of rifling enables much greater velocity, on the order of 6000 fps. The projectile is stabilized by a sabot or pop-out fins (I don't know exactly). Some tank projectiles don't even have explosive; they are instead kinetic energy penetrators, like a really big and fast rifle bullet.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think our defense contractors help promote stories like this so our government will spend more to keep from falling behind.
The truth is that much of this is hype and anyone that has seen this crap they produce should know better.
Anyone that thinks differently needs to fly Aeroflot or drive some of their vehicles or use some of the other technical wonders. Putin's new limo is a poor copy of a Rolls and replaced the Mercedes others used for years.
Computer hacking seems to be the highest level of technical achievement of the country.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The projectile is stabilized by a sabot or pop-out fins (I don't know exactly). Some tank projectiles don't even have explosive; they are instead kinetic energy penetrators, like a really big and fast rifle bullet.

The sabot is so the skinny, finned projectile will fit and seal in the larger bore of the gun. The sabot falls off the projectile right after it exits the barrel.

The projectile for the M1 Abrams' antitank penetrator round is pretty much a giant depleted uranium dart.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the sabots might also have fins that enable radar guidance. The photos in the OP link show what might be phased array radar panels on the turret.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

Is the holding tank hooked up to the cannon?
Or maybe recycle the contents for bio-diesel fuel.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if the sabots might also have fins that enable radar guidance. The photos in the OP link show what might be phased array radar panels on the turret.

No guidance on APFSDS sabots. They are ~10 pound, ~1” diameter depleted uranium rods that leave the muzzle ~5,100 feet/sec.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
nicknamed by some soldiers, 'Putin's Poo Tins.'

How does one say "poo tin" in Russian? Because I'm pretty sure that combination of sounds doesn't have the same meaning in Russian.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post