SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WSJ: The Military Recruitment Crisis Is a Symptom of Cultural Rot
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSJ: The Military Recruitment Crisis Is a Symptom of Cultural Rot Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Are there any prominent Democrat vets?

Can't think of any. I watch Fox News and the Dems who get all the airtime (Schumer, Durbin, etc) are not vets.

Posts: 16019 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
I know I am old AF, but if it was truly needed to defend our country from foreign or domestic threats, I would be there in a heartbeat.

I'm pretty sure no foreign power could damage this country as much as our own regime and Deep State have done and are still doing. The bad guys around the world know this and just have to bide their time. The real threat to us is here at home, not in far away places. But I don't think anyone is going to take up arms to fix that.

Posts: 3690 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
How many remember when the Russian leader Nikita Kruchevf(?) was at the United Nations Assembly giving a speech when he went into a tirade / took off his shoe and began pounding the podium and shouting "We will bury you from within without firing a shot"???? Looks like those days are possibly near. .................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, I'm all for the draft. We could cure more than a few of society's problems with a draft.

Not to mention, it would be a total hoot to witness the pure panic among the snowflakes and America haters.

I'm from the Vietnam era. I was a Marine, so there weren't any draftees The Army had a bunch of draftees & I would've had no problem serving along side those guys in combat.

I'm not sure I'd trust a draftee from this entitled generation to have my back in combat. In fact, I wouldn't trust most of them pushing a wheel barrow.

There were more than 40,000 Marines drafted for Viet Nam. Two of them were in my platoon in '68. Both were good Marines and were still upright when I left in '69. You would have had no problem serving with them either. Semper Fi

Posts: 6513 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Back in the last draft, being a "normal" gay person would rate you as 4F or possibly a general or dishonorable discharge if you were actually in the service and discovered.
I can't imagine the freak show that would result in today's world.

Posts: 9831 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
“I also think there are prices too high to pay to save the United States. Conscription is one of them. Conscription is slavery, and I don't think that any people or nation has a right to save itself at the price of slavery for anyone, no matter what name it is called. We have had the draft for twenty years now; I think this is shameful. If a country can't save itself through the volunteer service of its own free people, then I say: Let the damned thing go down the drain!”

- Robert A. Heinlein

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 656 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, I'm all for the draft. We could cure more than a few of society's problems with a draft.

Not to mention, it would be a total hoot to witness the pure panic among the snowflakes and America haters.

I'm from the Vietnam era. I was a Marine, so there weren't any draftees The Army had a bunch of draftees & I would've had no problem serving along side those guys in combat.

I'm not sure I'd trust a draftee from this entitled generation to have my back in combat. In fact, I wouldn't trust most of them pushing a wheel barrow.

There were more than 40,000 Marines drafted for Viet Nam. Two of them were in my platoon in '68. Both were good Marines and were still upright when I left in '69. You would have had no problem serving with them either. Semper Fi

OK, I looked it up. The Marines made a draft call in Dec of 1968 & 42K were draftees. I came back the beginning of 1968, and honestly, I thought all Marines were volunteers.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

Can't think of any. I watch Fox News and the Dems who get all the airtime (Schumer, Durbin, etc) are not vets.

I can’t think of any currently but there was this guy.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Inouye

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3730 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Dick the dick Blumenthal sort of claimed to be a vet.

Posts: 9831 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
what we need is a world war, an invasion on CONUS and a good clean out of those who dont like it here. then ,and only then, when the enemy is at the gates will the warrior (and his country) be appreciated. I wish it would come on and start already.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3350 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although we claim to hate polls (at least the results we don’t like), there was one that indicated over half of the Democrats surveyed wouldn’t necessarily fight to defend the country. That interpretation was of course disputed by others on the Left for a variety of claimed reasons, but even if the figure was inflated to a significant degree, what does it say about widely-held attitudes?

I agree that some potential armed forces recruits are dismayed and deterred from enlisting because of what the services are doing internally, but I question how many absolute numbers they represent. Only someone who is actively considering the move is likely to be aware of what it means to the organizations in general and would mean to them specifically. Someone who doesn’t even imagine enlisting in one of the forces is unlikely, IMO, to consider that to be an important factor any more than he would decide to avoid it because he once ate an MRE and didn’t like it. Plus we shouldn’t ever forget that even in the crisis of World War II and the danger to the US that German and Japanese aggression posed, if even indirectly at the beginning, large numbers of American men had to be conscripted into the military forces, and even then desertions and other attempts to avoid the war’s hazards were extremely common.

Although I’m not sure about some of what the opinion piece claims, I do agree in general about the general “rot” of American society and culture.

6.4/93.6

“I regret that I am to now die in the belief, that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776, to acquire self-government and happiness to their country, is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be, that I live not to weep over it.”
— Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 47716 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

There's the "climate czar" John Kerry. He turned into an anti war POS after returning from VN.

Then there was JFK.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
A lot of fellows want to join, they just can't decide which dress to wear to the recruiting station.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to all the aforementioned reasons, recruiters across all branches of service are having a tough time getting medically qualified applicants. Any history of taking a painkiller, ADHD medication, etc. throws a red flag in the recruitment, sometimes to the point where the applicant no longer wants to join because of all the hurdles they have to jump through.

A few tidbits:

quote:
This year, the Pentagon officially launched Military Health System (MHS) Genesis, a new electronic health record system for the military that is the result of years of pilot programs, testing, and congressional mandates. Col. Megan Stallings, commander of U.S. Military Entrance Processing Command (USMEPCOM), called it a “leap in medical modernization” that is “revolutionizing our medical processing.” It was introduced not only at Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS), but across the military health system to streamline care for service members, dependents, and veterans.

The idea was that with MHS Genesis, MEPS would be able to see all of a new recruit’s health records in one place — every broken bone and prescribed medication — to help quicken the process. It was meant to make things easier. But as is sometimes the case with processes and systems in the military meant to help, it didn’t.

quote:
It was a pilot of sorts for Genesis, and would flag everything from allergy medications to birth control, epi pens, and inhalers. The latter three of those prescriptions would trigger a flag for officials at MEPS who would then ask for medical records for those medications.

“It was causing a ton of issues when it first came out,” the senior recruiter said, “because the pharmacy history only shows a small piece of the overall picture.”

Recruits would be flagged if MEPS saw something like oxycodone in their files, even if it was for something simple like getting wisdom teeth removed. So recruiters were then “spending so much time at hospitals” trying to get paperwork for their recruit, only to finally send it up to the doctor at MEPS and be told it wasn’t sufficient.

Source.

Posts: 843 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tammy Duckworth. Former Helicopter pilot Lost her legs when her helicopter was brought down by enemy fire in 2004. Honorable veteran.

Incumbent IL Senator. Politically an anti gun polemic piece of dogshit.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can any democrat be prominent?

There are 18 serving vets in congress out of 82 last time I saw the list.

Posts: 4784 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, this will fix the problem...

Navy Recruiting Increasing Work Week to Six Days to Combat Recruitment Shortages

By: Heather Mongilio
June 28, 2023 6:17 PM

Starting July 8, Navy recruiters’ work week will get a day longer.

Navy Recruiting Command is temporarily extending recruiters’ work week to six days to address recruiting shortages, Lt. Cmdr. Richard Parker, the spokesperson for Recruiting Command told USNI News in an email.

Parker did not have current recruiting numbers, citing a number of ongoing recruiting efforts preventing finalization of the numbers. However, in April, Vice Chief of Naval Operations Lisa Franchetti said the Navy was expected to miss its recruiting goal by 6,000 sailors...

Complete article:

https://news.usni.org/2023/06/...ecruitment-shortages

Posts: 16019 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
They waged war against their best recruiting pool, so what did they expect? It’s not like white conservatives are suddenly going to take the shot, stop voting conservative, hate guns, hate trump, hate white people, chop off their dicks, and start buttfucking each other.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cultural rot is hyperbole. Many variables here and cultural rot{whatever that is} is not a factor. Economics, a decent labor market and general changes in the military are all factors.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Cultural rot is hyperbole. Many variables here and cultural rot{whatever that is} is not a factor. Economics, a decent labor market and general changes in the military are all factors.

Call it what you want, but for the many young people I know, it's definitely NOT economics or a good job market elsewhere. They are mostly Naval Academy and Westpoint grads, some ROTC grads. They WANT to serve but can't take it anymore. The new WOKE military = "general changes in the military"? OK, sure.
"Cultural rot" is as good a term as any.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24636 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post