SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WV / VA members -- who's got ice this morning?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WV / VA members -- who's got ice this morning? Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Friend/coworker posted this morning they they were starting day 4 without power. They have a generator for a few lights, but are on a well, so day 4 with no water as well! I bet they get a generator for the well pump after this! Next round due to hit on Thursday, prediction is for up to an inch of ice.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Not having water for 4 days would be horrible. Maybe they can do what I did?
Originally my well pump was not tied to my generator box because my generator is too small to power it along with the refrigerator microwave and a few lights. But after 2 days w/o power I added the well circuit to the box. When I need water I turn off all the other breakers then switch on the pump breaker. (The generator makes enough power to run the well pump by itself.) Once it's pressured up I shut off the well breaker and turn the others back on.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7110 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Originally my well pump was not tied to my generator box because my generator is too small to power it along with the refrigerator microwave and a few lights. But after 2 days w/o power I added the well circuit to the box. When I need water I turn off all the other breakers then switch on the pump breaker. (The generator makes enough power to run the well pump by itself.) Once it's pressured up I shut off the well breaker and turn the others back on.

I did 14 days during Isabel,
it sucked, but fortunately, my mother was not to far away and had county water,

and of course, it was warm enough in Sept,,

now, I have a nice sized generator, no worries

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10434 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

That's a good idea...I will pass that along!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
Power just went out, after trickling in and out all evening. I’m in Huntington.

How're things for you tonight?

God bless America.

Posts: 13517 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
It was a pretty chilly night. We are all electric at my house.
With a fire roaring in the fireplace, we kept the temp to 50 for most of the night.
It was 47* when I left, this morning.
Power still out. Trying to source a portable generator today.
I do know we will have a permanent generator before next fall.
Thanks for following up.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
52 hours without electricity. 2 fireplaces going, one blower with a small generator for a few lights and chargers. Had been planning on the whole house generator and kept delaying. Alive and well otherwise. 3-5 inches of snow tonight. I agree with VNM, if we are still in this house in the fall there will be a whole house generator installed.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1895 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Stay safe and stay warm everyone. It's a bit chilly with a lot of ice/sleet around (though not really hanging onto the trees).

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post