SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WV / VA members -- who's got ice this morning?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WV / VA members -- who's got ice this morning? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Our forecast for the last couple of days has offered rain, sleet, freezing rain, ice, freezing fog, and all sorts of cold, wet, non-fun mess. Yesterday we had about 1/10 to 1/4" of ice on the outdoor surfaces. Roads in my neighborhood weren't bad, but there was a pretty good threat of more overnight.

Sure enough, we got it. There's a solid layer on most things -- my street is still not terrible -- and a continued threat for more, particularly east of my little place out here in the sticks.

I met a friend for breakfast early this morning, and in the time I was out the [usually garaged] truck received a thin layer of ice. There were icicles hanging from the roof rails when I got back home. I was out for maybe an hour.

Back home in the toasty warm, I settled in for the weekly desk work and heard a long "crack" sound followed by a thump. Looking out the window I saw my neighbor's tree on the ground, beside his car. Sure enough, the tree hit the car on the way down and broke the rear window out.

Aside from needing some good cold weather for the purpose of killing off some bugs, I'm ready for Spring. Thirty-four days, man... 34 days.

Everybody okay out there?

God bless America.

Posts: 13517 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Virginia Beach here, no ice and all rain. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’ve got freezing rain and sleet in Staunton, with reports of accidents due to icy road conditions. They’re telling everybody to stay off the roads all day today.

Posts: 320 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Beaverdam area, 5 inches of heavy wet snow yesterday and freezing rain right now.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Ice down here on the Dan...Current local outage map - we are still good to go, knock on wood.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Nothing here as of yet but they say it's still coming this afternoon and evening.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had 4 inches of wet snow and now a glaze on top. Power is doing fine so far in Fluvanna County. Temp is slowly creeping up. My gauge says 31 deg.

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Va. | Registered: August 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Ice down here on the Dan...Current local outage map - we are still good to go, knock on wood.

which part of the Dan?

IIRC this is the weekend of the Crossing of the Dan ceremony (unless cancelled due to Cooties) in South Boston,

as a SAR member, I went one you and it was snowing like crazy,

good times it was,,, I'll see if I can find a pic

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10434 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
which part of the Dan?

IIRC this is the weekend of the Crossing of the Dan ceremony (unless cancelled due to Cooties) in South Boston,

Danville. Still new to the area, I have been to South Boston a couple of times, when we were looking at houses in the area and for work.

We've got a glaze of ice, but trees and limbs down all around town. Police have asked people not to go out because of all the trees and lines down on roads and power outages affecting a lot of traffic lights.

You can see the ice on the feeders and in the trees:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess MD doesn’t count? Lol. Sleeting right now, predicted to get worse.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Sorry, pedro, I didn't mean to slight Maryland.

- - - - -

God bless America.

Posts: 13517 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
Beaverdam area, 5 inches of heavy wet snow yesterday and freezing rain right now.

I’m about 10 minutes from you at Dike 3 and we had the same. Tried visiting my family in rappahannock today but the closer we got to Culpeper, the worse it got so we turned around and came home. Just got back and we heard a transformer blow down the road from us and now no power. Trees were down everywhere coming down Kentucky Springs Road and a truck was in the ditch. Definitely getting slicker by the minute

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Well.

Two big pops here, followed by a short power drop. Time to go reset some clocks.

God bless America.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
which part of the Dan?

Danville. Still new to the area, I have been to South Boston a couple of times, when we were looking at houses in the area and for work.

We've got a glaze of ice, but trees and limbs down all around town. Police have asked people not to go out because of all the trees and lines down on roads and power outages affecting a lot of traffic lights.

You can see the ice on the feeders and in the trees:

I have kinfolk in Danville, South Boston and in between,

the Crossing of the Dan is a neat little piece of history in the area

https://www.halifaxcountyhisto...g/about-the-crossing

my Patriot Ancestor joined up with Greene before the crossing but did not make it that far due to illness (his 3rd enlistment)

meanwhile, my brother got called out to work in Dinwiddie and south Chesterfield (verizon) and said trees are popping like crazy,

we (central Chesterfield, south of PSP) had power, lost power, got it back, and lost it again,

neighbor put some pics on instagram of the trees down in her backyard,,

not sure how the drive home today will be, but will find out in an hour

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10434 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently MD doesn’t actually count. The sleet didn’t last long and now it’s just dry and cold.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:

I live east of Danville in the county. Our power went off 2 hours ago. We have a Generac generator,so we have power at least.

I've not driven anywhere, but have seen traffic on our road. Trees are covered in ice, temps hovering right at freezing.

One limb on a dogwood in my yard broken.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ice storm warning issued for NoVa tonight. I'll be digging out another blanket and the long-handles just in case iced up limbs bring down the power lines.

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Lucked out here. It was 35 degrees but only rain with just a little sleet mixed in. 25 miles up the road was a different story.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1867 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Layer of ice, then a couple inches of snow over top of it here in western WV. All the trees are encased in ice.
It’s been interesting. More on the way Sunday into Monday morning. Yeehaw.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
North central WV right at the PA line. No ice as it's mostly been below freezing over the last two weeks (and next 10 days is predicted the same). So after a few inches of snow the sun may come out and melt the top one afternoon then a couple more days of light snow and repeat. Here in this image a week ago there was about 8" of crusty snow, now it's about 10"-12", and 6" more predicted Monday night.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7111 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post