SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Thread Login/Join 
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Do you gentlemen remember 1987? I am from Syracuse and I sure do!

I was a senior at SU at the time. Effin' Keith Smart! Of course, if SU (Derrick Coleman and Howard Triche) had made their free throws it wouldn't have come down to that...

I jumped off my couch as high as Keith Smart when that shot went through the net. You’re right, IU intentionally fouled Syracuse’s poorest foul shooters… and THAT’S what won the game for Indiana.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1598 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
That's what a good coach does!

quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ironmike57:
Do you gentlemen remember 1987? I am from Syracuse and I sure do!

You’re right, IU intentionally fouled Syracuse’s poorest foul shooters… and THAT’S what won the game for Indiana.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
So how is everybody's bracket doing?

Going into today I've got 28 points but have a couple of dead-ends going forward, thanks Purdue, Arizona. Roll Eyes

I think Painter lost control of his team and there must have been a major personality conflict. The team fell apart the last month of the season and usually a breakdown like that, when there aren't major injuries, is clubhouse related.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Damn!!! Purdue just got outplayed by a 16 seed. We didn't hustle and were throwing up bricks.

My take is they were once again out coached. Three years in a row losing to a 10 or higher seed in the tournament. Painter is obviously a pretty good recruiter but just can't seem to get it done come tournament time.

As an IU alumnus, I WANT to dislike Painter… but I don’t. I think he’s a good pre-game coach and a fairly good recruiter.

However, Painter doesn’t seem adept at making in-game adjustments. IU has had coaches like that, Archie Miller being the prime example. I think Woodson is good at changing strategies at the half… and he should be a good recruiter with his NBA connections.

Purdue fans have every right to bitch and moan this morning… but winning in the tournament is damn difficult. Izzo is a great coach… but hasn’t won the whole thing since 2000. If Purdue wants to cut off their nose to spite their face… go ahead and fire Painter. As an IU fan I won’t stop them.
In addition to being outplayed, we got outcoached yesterday too. The Boiler "faithful" didn't even make it 5 minutes after the game before calling for Painter's firing.

I too like Painter but sometimes his coaching frustrates me just like when he was Purdue's starting point guard (he was a senior when I was a freshman). As a point guard, many times per game he'd drive the lane, not take the shot or pass, dribble down the baseline, and dribble back out to set-up the offense again. That's some slowwwww, conservative basketball that is agonizing to watch. That's how I felt last night watching his game plan fall apart, and not make any meaningful changes.

A few weeks ago, I attended one of the best executive development training classes of my career. The instructor was a former Olympic swim coach and he shared a story about Canada Olympic's most impactful coach who was was a brilliant sports psyhchologist. Their World Champion speed skater got her butt kicked badly in the Olympics and didn't medal. She was cooling down on the stationary bike and obviously emotional and one of the Team Canada coaches wanted to go console her. The brilliant sports psychologist stopped the well intentioned coach and said, "No, let her live this and learn from it." It motivated the crap out of the speedskater and next World Championship she was clean sweep gold medal in every event she raced.

In other words, I think Purdue should let Painter and team live this humiliating defeat. Don't fire anybody, but instead let them use if to analyze what they did wrong before and during, and let it fuel their drive for next season.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23219 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Going into today I've got 28 points

23 here.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go Terps…

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23219 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
21 of 63 big suckage in selections just didn't have the upsets correct.

My South bracket, like most everyone in the worlds, is FUBAR, however I have Alabama vs Baylor to be in the Elite 8 so there is that.

Outside of Purdue the East is good, the West region, only Missed 2 picks.

Final 4 is still good so far...

Purdue coach has some issues with his game plan, they play too slow, which is ok in conference, but there are some higher speed teams out there, and FDU just turned on the burners, Purdue did well to almost keep up. Heck even Barkley picked that game and how it should be played by FDU and Purdue, he was right... There was a lot of chatter about Purdue going to have issues because they didn't have the guard play they needed to advance, just didn't think it would be this early.

All I have to add is Go Vols.....

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

After they take out Duke, I have them losing to Purdue. Oh, wait...Big Grin

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

After they take out Duke, I have them losing to Purdue. Oh, wait...Big Grin

Big Grin I've got Purdue vs IU in finals and Arizona in elite 8 so several closed doors in my bracket.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Gonzaga for the win ... ! My daughter was a law school professor here, got an MBA at GU and owns a house in Spokane (though maybe selling).

Saw many basketball games here !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
Kaaayyy, ayyy, ayyy, ayyy, ayyy U! U!!
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
Cool

Na na na nah....na na na nah, hey ayy ayy, goodbye

Sorry, could not resist. Razz

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wooooo Piiiiigggg Sooiieeee!

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dzozer:
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
Cool

Na na na nah....na na na nah, hey ayy ayy, goodbye

Sorry, could not resist. Razz

That makes Gonzaga's road a little easier.

And Princeton wins again!

posted Hide Post
My college may as well be D2. But on a work team of 9, I have 2 co workers who graduated from Gonzaga within the last few years so I will root for them.

I’m Surprised at the early top seed upsets. Unless you went to Fairleigh Dickinson, your bracket is fooked.

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
A lot of early bracket-busting this year, but overall some of the best games I've seen in a tournament.

Auburn played like they have all season - on absolute fire some games, then total meltdowns in others. Really disappointing.

I picked Connecticut to win the whole shebang, but Arizona and Purdue in the final four.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6038 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I made a little side bet with one of my Sgt's regarding the two NJ schools in the tourney.

No way in hell they'd both make it past the first round, I said.

Especially Princeton going up against AZ, I said.

... Roll Eyes

So that cost me a day off Friday, where I helped prepare 400+ pounds of corned beef sammiches at the local KofC fund raiser.

Now I remember why I rarely bet on sports... Big Grin
Should have learned my lesson in '89 with my alma mater Seton Hall.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
Who's house!

COOG'S HOUSE!

Kelvin Sampson's got the University of Houston well-positioned. And Marcus Sasser back at 100%.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Goodnight Hoosiers!

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Nice to see UK eliminated.
Perennial pretenders.