SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Down on luck Loren Krytzer who sold blanket for $1.5 million has new woes.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Down on luck Loren Krytzer who sold blanket for $1.5 million has new woes. Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
There is a reason some people are poor.

A lot of the times, I've seen it more of a result of bad spending choices rather than lack of income.

There are some poor people who try to act rich with "stuff" while those who are rich don't spend on stuff that depreciates.

I noticed something in a rather nice Orlando area neighborhood: the houses are $400k+ while the driveways had Hondas and Toyotas parked in them. You go to the "hood" and you see Chargers, Camaros, BMWs, etc.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
quote:
Originally posted by lbaker45:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I would like to see the blanket.

A rare Navajo blanket, this is the one he sold.

Apparently when it was made, in the 1800s, it cost roughly 10 years worth of salary for even the rich folks.

What the heck is so special about it? Does it guarantee you get into heaven or something?

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
All that and he's cold too, since he no longer had a blanket.

Schmuck.

Good one. I laughed. LOL.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
There is a reason some people are poor.

A lot of the times, I've seen it more of a result of bad spending choices rather than lack of income.

There are some poor people who try to act rich with "stuff" while those who are rich don't spend on stuff that depreciates.

I noticed something in a rather nice Orlando area neighborhood: the houses are $400k+ while the driveways had Hondas and Toyotas parked in them. You go to the "hood" and you see Chargers, Camaros, BMWs, etc.

Yep. He should have viewed that money as a stewardship. Never spend the principle. Spend a portion of the interest earned, return some profit to principle and you are set for life absent the catastrophic.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
quote:
Originally posted by lbaker45:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I would like to see the blanket.

A rare Navajo blanket, this is the one he sold.

Apparently when it was made, in the 1800s, it cost roughly 10 years worth of salary for even the rich folks.

What the heck is so special about it? Does it guarantee you get into heaven or something?

Go watch the video in the OP.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magic Blanket?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
About 20 years into my LE career , we all got a settlement from the State from an accounting error that we had suffered with for over a decade. Depending on your time on the job, a few of us got as much as $35K.

I took mine and applied it against the remaining principle on our mortgage.

Others did everything from new pickups and motorcycles to boats, hunting trips, etc.

But my favorite foolish spending spree was a colleague who spent about $20K flying her kids and Family to Disney World for a very extravagant 10 day stay. Flew the whole Family first class, the whole deal. The kids were like 3-5 yrs old. Neither kid RECALLS anything about the trip today!

There are so many people that apparently enjoy living paycheck to paycheck.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
but without working, it’s just hard to survive.”

Can't work with your disability, but you can drive a supercar and ride a Harley? Go fuck yourself, deadbeat.

In my old neighborhood there was several guys that were on disability because they had some b.s. injury that they claimed made their job impossible. Maybe you couldn't do your current job but that doesn't mean you can't do anything and immediately need to go on disability.

I would see these guys doing laps around the neighborhood. One had a lift in his garage were he restored two different cars. Saw dozens of seriously physical projects that were tougher than any of their jobs. They just found and easy way out.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
but without working, it’s just hard to survive.”

Can't work with your disability, but you can drive a supercar and ride a Harley? Go fuck yourself, deadbeat.

In my old neighborhood there was several guys that were on disability because they had some b.s. injury that they claimed made their job impossible. Maybe you couldn't do your current job but that doesn't mean you can't do anything and immediately need to go on disability.

I would see these guys doing laps around the neighborhood. One had a lift in his garage were he restored two different cars. Saw dozens of seriously physical projects that were tougher than any of their jobs. They just found and easy way out.

I can't find the link right now but remember reading that about 30 percent of Illinois state workers are on disability and they actually make more being on disability because they don't have to pay for transportation to and from job. Crazy and another reason Illinois is going bankrupt. I can't imagine any business in the private sector having that percentage of their work force on disability and often those who can't do their regular job would be required to do some other job even if it was light duty sitting at a desk counting the ceiling tiles.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Poor people have poor habits.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
After having used most of his newfound fortune buying two homes in Central California, a Dodge Challenger SRT8 customized by West Coast Customs (the team made famous in MTV’s Pimp My Ride), and a Harley-Davidson motorcycle — things he never dreamt of owning before.

Even $1.5M doesn't go far spent that way. And there's no telling what else he pissed away money on. One house ("Central" California real estate isn't super-expensive like the Bay Area or Los Angeles), a decent car to drive, sure, and there would still have been a good chunk left over.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post