SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL Rejects Pro-National Anthem Ad From Veterans Group
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NFL Rejects Pro-National Anthem Ad From Veterans Group Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
https://www.toddstarnes.com/sh...m-ad-veterans-group/

NFL Rejects Pro-National Anthem Ad From Veterans Group

By Todd Starnes - January 22, 2018

The National Football League has rejected a Super Bowl advertisement from American Veterans urging people to stand for the national anthem.

The nation’s largest veterans service organization had been invited by the NFL to place an ad in the Super Bowl LII program. AMVET’s advertisement included a two-word message – “#PleaseStand.”

“It’s a simple, polite request that represents the sentiment of our membership, particularly those whose missing or paralyzed limbs preclude standing,” wrote National Commander Marion Polk in a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goddell.

American Veterans accused the NFL of outright censorship by rejecting the advertisement.

“Freedom of speech works both ways. We respect the rights of those who choose to protest, as these rights are precisely what our members have fought – and in many cases died – for,” Polk wrote. “But imposing corporate censorship to deny that same right to those veterans who have secured it for us all is reprehensible and totally beyond the pale.”

The NFL has been rocked by national anthem protests throughout the season — leading to a massive decline in television viewership and game day attendance. Still, the NFL refused to order players to stand for the national anthem.

Instead, the commissioner and many owners shamefully turned a blind eye as football players took a knee and disrespected not only the flag, but the brave men and women defending our freedom.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy defended the league’s decision to ban the American Veterans’ advertisement noting that the game day program “is designed for fans to commemorate and celebrate the game, players, teams and the Super Bowl.”

“It’s never been a place for advertising that could be considered by some as a political statement,” McCarthy told Army Times.

As opposed to the political statement NFL players have been making all season on national television and in taxpayer funded football stadiums.

McCarthy told Army Times they gave American Veterans the option of changing their proposed advertisement to read, “Please Stand for our Veterans.”

It’s becoming increasingly clear that the NFL’s disdain for American patriotism is not just isolated to the gridiron. It’s apparently infested the front office.

“Veterans are good for more than just military aircraft flyovers, photo opportunities during halftime, or props to sell camouflage-style NFL apparel; although, the NFL’s stance on not allowing the veterans’ unfiltered voice to be heard says otherwise,” Polk wrote to Goodell.

I wholeheartedly concur and might I suggest that freedom-loving Americans stand up to the National Football League by turning off the Super Bowl.

Q

Posts: 26715 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Haven’t watched a game all season. Don’t intend to start now. Haven’t missed it.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16283 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FUCK the NFL!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
“It’s never been a place for advertising that could be considered by some as a political statement,” McCarthy told Army Times.

Oh I get it now. The program is off limits for political statements, but the sidelines are fair game. Fuckwits.

Posts: 2504 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
The NFL can blow themselves. Those still supporting the NFL can give them a hand.

Posts: 2842 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a complete lie, and we all know it. The NFL is nothing but a joke at this point. I wish I could say I'll boycott them, but since I haven't participated in any way with them over the past couple years, I guess I'll just have to hope the league collapses on itself.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, there are more than a few that will continue to support these un-American asshats Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zimman20
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Haven’t watched a game all season. Don’t intend to start now. Haven’t missed it.

-Rob

This, except I have missed it. Gotta stand for something, no pun intended - I'm sending my message. Hope your viewership - and by extension your ad revenue - falls through the fucking earth, NFL. Fuck you. Mad

--------------------------------------------------------------
zman

P229 SAS
Sig 1911 STX

Posts: 936 | Location: Stanley, NC | Registered: September 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
The NFL can blow themselves. Those still supporting the NFL can give them a hand.

As someone who grew up playing sports and watching the pro's for a long time. I can really appreciate your comment. I mean that.
I am no where as adament as you obviously are but i certainly do not agree and support them as much as I did at one time.
I do not feel all the players are the way some are. They are many good guys and good guys doing good things for people.

But again, thanks for your post. I completely understand it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19311 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Unfortunately, there are more than a few that will continue to support these un-American asshats Frown

On here, even.

Q

Posts: 26715 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah... we want to stay away from that. The boss laid down the law: There'll be no "eating our own" here.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

On here, even.

Yeah, I'm guilty of that. I follow the Eagles in the play offs. The AZ cardinals are dead to me all season.

As I don't have cable TV and don't receive many Network channels, I catch the games on radio.

I'll listen to the Super Bowl on radio.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I'll listen to the Super Bowl on radio.
I'll be cleaning my guns while listening to music on iHeartRadio. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched a show the last two years and definitely don't miss it.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 885 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Since my own 'last NFL watched' game was 1980 it occurred to check out the ticket price this year.

Google tells me the cheap seats are $3000 and the better ones are $7400. Even the common games are over $300. Label me out-of-touch I guess.

No idea how much I've been saving all these years. If the ticket prices continue on this track, I'll be saving millions every season just by my own style of 'take a knee'..........

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9858 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Yeah, I'm guilty of that.

I don't mean this accusingly, but out of simple, sincere curiosity: Why?

I ask because I do not understand it. I do not understand it perhaps in large part due to the fact I've really been interested in most pro sports, and football not at all. Ever. (Maybe, for that reason, I cannot be made to understand it?)

But there have been things in my life of which I have partaken that, when I was given sufficient cause, I dropped them.

Now I'm not the most Rah Rah Patriotic person I know--by a long shot. Much stuff I see that's negative about my country just rolls off. But this... I think that if I had been a fan, I'd be an ex-fan now. Kind of like the Dolly Parton Dixie thing. As Para said: She's dead to me now.

The NFL's behavior strikes me as particularly egregious. And it just keeps coming.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The NFL certainly set itself an interesting problem to solve. If you make the national anthem before a football game an appropriate venue for the players to express one idea, then how do you justify prohibiting the vets from expressing the exact opposite idea in precisely the same circumstances? The players may work there, but the League invited the vets to come in and express themselves at the game. IOW, its not as though one group is supposed to be there and the other one isn't.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
NFL = Not For Long if they keep this crap up.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38040 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I am proud of the fact that I have not watched one single game this season. I wear it as a badge of honor and patriotism - even if I am the only one that knows.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4936 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I am proud of the fact that I have not watched one single game this season. I wear it as a badge of honor and patriotism - even if I am the only one that knows.

Geez, now everyone knows. Big Grin

Q