SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My absence (in case anyone noticed)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My absence (in case anyone noticed) Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted
I've just gotten home from 10 days in the hospital. Tuesday morning (2 May) I woke up with terrible shivering that would not stop. I checked my pulse rate and it was over 110. Blood sugar was just 98, which was OK. I called 911 and the EMTs arrived quickly, took an EKG and other measurements and transported me to the ER. The ER doctors apparently had knowledge about such symptoms and focused on my gall bladder. The ultrasound revealed a number of gallstones and my blood work revealed some infection, so I was admitted to the hospital and scheduled to have my gall bladder removed. Wednesday the 3rd was getting prepped for the operation and I was operated on on Thursday 4 May, after which I was put in ICU. The next day (Friday 5 May) I went back under anesthesia so a Gastroenterologist could go down my gut and take out some loose gallstones in the bile ducts--back to ICU. Next 2 days were good recovery and they wanted to move me to a "regular" room--well, there weren't any so I spent 2 more days in ICU. Finally was moved to a regular room on Monday 8 May. Began to eat actual food and feeling better. The room I was in was on of the "reduced pressure" rooms for contagious patients and they moved me to a standard room on Wednesday, 10 May. After 2 days in that room I was discharged on Friday, 12 May and came home.

I'll have to go back in a few days for another bout with the Gastroenterologist to pull a stint out of the bile duct, but that's just an outpatient procedure (no doubt with anesthetic, though).

I feel fine and my status is returning to normal. I don't plan to go out much and will watch/participate in my church's Sunday morning services via the Internet (0945 service is live-streamed). The timing of this condition was very bad--I was supposed to attend a choral concert Saturday night (the 6th) and received some acknowledgement as a retiring chorus member, I was supposed to play handbells at 3 services Sunday morning, and my local cousin turned 77 on Wednesday the 10th and I wasn't able to visit or e-mail her. (I didn't have any communications devices with me when I was taken to the ER.)

I'll be back up to speed with the web fora shortly and you'll have to deal with me again. For now, I just wanted you to know why I've not been seen for a while.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Welcome Home and I'm glad you are feeling better!!!

Posts: 2861 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
10 days? damn! Well I'm glad you're out now with issues resolved. Three years ago they had me for 8.5 days, most of which in the ICU, which I felt was an eternity so I know what an extended stay can be like.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16300 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Welcome back. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Pics or it didn't happen!
Flashguy I have pics of a 10mm x 12mm jagged renal calculi that I pulled, and I do mean pulled, from a male pts urethral meatus and.....
never mind sorry for the ADD drift. Wink
Get better, heal up, keep that blood pumping and God bless.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Man! Glad you got things taken care of and you are back. I really enjoy your posts and comments! Stay well friend!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Wow, just goes to show you how messed up you can be from something as simple as a bad gallbladder. I hope all goes well for you and you're done with hospitals for a long time.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Get well soon flashguy!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20915 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I just assumed you were traveling again.
Sounds like they took decent care of you,bet the cats missed you.Welcome back

Posts: 22413 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Welcome back. I hope you have a full recovery.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36859 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
get well soon...damn 10 days...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53332 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Get well soon!

Posts: 17927 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Welcome back.
Hope your recovery is speedy and 100% complete.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I figured you had gone on a trip. Glad you're ok.

Posts: 27016 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Glad you are feeling better, and on the way to a complete recovery.

Posts: 13694 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
Good thing you took care of it when you did. Glad you are on the mend.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness you got yourself taken care of in short order!
Good to know you're on the road to recovery now.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5390 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Glad you are feeling better!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Welcome back and get better soon Flashguy.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8187 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Welcome back.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Us Old Guys have to hang tough, bro.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30861 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post