SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you spoil your children?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you spoil your children? Login/Join 
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
In any case, it's not the kids who are "spoiled" be being given "too much" that are the problem, it's those who's misdeeds are ignored or excused. Kids must learn that bad choices have negative consequences. This is as true for the privileged as well as the poor, it's just a lot easier to find a good path if you have a more options (sometimes easier to find a bad path as well).

Posts: 6474 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I spoil my grandchildren. I can't help it. The other day I was watching my 20 month old granddaughter. Among the instructions were, no candy, no junk food, no screen time. Mom and dad weren't even out of the neighborhood and miss Penny was up on my lap watching Elmo with her hand in my bag of Ruffles and a big grin on her face. I'll take the admonishment later. It's worth enjoying that time together.

Yeah, that would irritate me quite a bit. To me, that's not spoiling so much as reinforcing bad habits. We work really hard to develope good habits for our 22 month old.

Better not let me babysit them then. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I guess its subjective. I spent money for them to have nice things. Much better than I had. But my children were very well adjusted. They never acted entitled or spoiled. My son would tell me not to buy him things.

My granddaughter died at Birth. Otherwise I would have spoiled her.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't empty one of my 401k's to bail them out of trouble.
I did buy all four their first car, all used of course. And no V-8's

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I put much effort and expense into providing the best education that I can obtain for my daughter, and to give her an enriched life. I do not tolerate bratish or ungrateful behavior from her, and try my best to make sure she understands, and to the extent appropriate for her age, earns the privileges that she enjoys.

I want my daughter to be as best prepared for the world and for life as I can make her, and, at times, that means she must endure her own struggles and hardships. She's young now, so those struggles tend to be limited to re-working homework problems and studying when she'd rather be playing, cleaning her room and doing chores, etc. But, that's where I think I can start giving her the foundation to understand that, for her, if she wants success and privileges, she will have to work for them. I can - and I will - create all the opportunities for her that I can, but I don't have the ability to set her up for life, so she will have to make her way on her own.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Some would say yes, many would say no.

I try to reward good choices as much as I can, partially because I believe strongly in punishing poor choices. Whenever possible the punishment should be a natural consequence or related to the bad decision.

I try to convey that blessings or good things such as rewards following good choices are because of and inspired by the good decisions they made or a product of a reward for hard work I want to recognize.

My parenting is far from perfect, but we do the best we can in each moment and no one else is raising or helping to raise our children.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I've tried not to.

I have nice things, they get the benefit of that. I enjoy traveling, they come with me.

Now that they are older (teenagers) they also work at my place of business and appreciate what it is I do. They get paid for their work and realize the value of a dollar.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right up until I changed the locks when they turned 21. Big Grin

Posts: 645 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Yes, to both. The world is gonna kick them in the teeth at every turn it can, so I will soften the blow at every turn I can in return. I also teach them right from wrong, to love God, their family and their fellow man, and that they may judge their fellow man by how he treats someone who can do nothing for him. So far, so good...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Children no, but the grandkids yes. As long as we can afford to they will get it.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a little. Our daughters always had nice clothes, cell phones as teenagers, computers, iPods, etc., and we bought their first cars. One daughter we bought her first 5 cars (she had totaled two of them). Now we try to spoil the grandkids, but we respect their parents’ wishes (mostly) and don’t go overboard, but Grandma LOVES to shop for baby clothes, and #4 grandbaby is due the end of May. We sometimes help by buying dinner frequently, buying gas frequently, and so forth. Both girls are mature, well-adjusted women and are very appreciative of everything we provided and how we raised them. My and my wife’s greatest accomplishments in life are our girls.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I tried not to, but was probably more extravagant than my parents were. This is no criticism of them, as they were generous. But I thinks times changed between the '60s and the '90s.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Warren Buffet is obviously in a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different category financially than the rest of us. We will not be able to do what he does or plans to do.

However, I like what he said a few years ago.

Buffett isn’t saying exactly how much he will leave to his children when he dies. But if he adheres to his own dictum, it will be a relatively small piece of his very large fortune. His advice: “You should leave your children enough so they can do anything, but not enough so they can do nothing.”

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post