SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bumbling Shooter Wayne LaPierre Fails to Kill Elephant
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bumbling Shooter Wayne LaPierre Fails to Kill Elephant Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
It matters not if it is an 8yr old WLP video being an idiot or a 12yr old Obama being a dumbass video, either one is just fuel for the "I told you so" fire, and rightly so. Where the NRA was once OUR 800lb gorilla, WLP has taken the knees out from under it single handedly and is a prime example of being our own worst enemy. Wayne is the face of the NRA and his problems are also by default the 2A communities problems. That he has not the honor to bow out gracefully for the good of millions of NRA supporters shows the character of the man. If the NRA BOD will not use their power to remove him, reform the institution, and and work to earn back the trust and faith of their membership, fuck em! I have no sympathy.
^^^ Don't expect a damn thing from the BOD.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
Eh, shouldn’t be shooting elephants anyway...over.

Why?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10498 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
The fact that there is scientific evidence to suggest Elephants have rather sophisticated emotions and mourn their dead is enough to make the practice off putting to me.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... considering the original purpose of the NRA was to improve markmanship?

What's WLP wealth accumulation with the 30 odd years with the NRA?

Gravy train material?

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I can't stand WLP, but don't give a shit about a hunting trip 8 years ago.
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
It matters not if it is an 8yr old WLP video being an idiot or a 12yr old Obama being a dumbass video, either one is just fuel for the "I told you so" fire, and rightly so. Where the NRA was once OUR 800lb gorilla, WLP has taken the knees out from under it single handedly and is a prime example of being our own worst enemy. Wayne is the face of the NRA and his problems are also by default the 2A communities problems. That he has not the honor to bow out gracefully for the good of millions of NRA supporters shows the character of the man. If the NRA BOD will not use their power to remove him, reform the institution, and and work to earn back the trust and faith of their membership, fuck em! I have no sympathy.
^^^ Don't expect a damn thing from the BOD.
There was a study a few years ago that said the ideal number of directors of a corporation or non-profit is 7 and every additional board member decreases decision making by 10%. The sole reason there is a 76 member NRA BOD is so they can't do anything, and the executives can do whatever they please. In other words, doomed to fail and the executives can pilfer the NRA for their own benefit.

Not another penny from me until LaPierre is gone. 1st priority of his replacement should be a 80% to 90% reduction in BOD and 2nd priority should be a complete culture shift at NRA HQ. Hell if it were up to me, the NRA would have 1 director elected from each of 13 Federal circuit courts of appeal (i.e. geographic boundary of each board member matches the geographic boundary of each federal appeals court) and that would align them to better fight for the rights of its members.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Fuck Great Value Stephen King, but for real, grabbers, this shit is from years ago. Eat shit and die, you cocksnots.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17008 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Always a way with words, ASG.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
News Corp generally caters to the right side of the aisle but I guess a so-called "news" source of theirs from NYC is allowed to paint a bunch of negativity and buffoonery on advocates and supporters of the 2A. Despite the truth that LaP really is a twit, I guess this sort of crosstalk is like watching Fox News these days. Way to go, Murdoch and family.

-MG

Posts: 2014 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been a member of the NRA for many years, primarily involved with the Law Enforcement Training Division, which avoids political activity. My first civilian LE instructor courses were taught by NRA instructors, and sanctioned by my state's law enforcement certification authority, as was true with many states. Ironically there was a close affiliation between the FBI training division and NRA to promote police training-at one time I had FBI instructors in NRA LE instructor courses. I have received excellent recurring LE instructor training in NRA courses over the years and am relieved the LE division has stayed out of politics, probably because they have been burned by it in the past.

In the late 70's/early 80's the legislative action side of NRA became so belligerent and rough-spoken that they scared or turned off a lot of folks. So much so that my state turned away from them for LE certification training and established it's own courses and certification process.

I am not a devotee of LaPierre, but, when LaPierre came along he seemed to bring some rationality, reasonableness, and polish to gun rights advocacy, taking a stand rather than spouting rabid rhetoric. That was sorely needed. Involving women is a plus, but perhaps his master stroke was to attract Charlton Heston to the board. You cannot deny that he has lead NRA to good effect in many areas. Just look at where we are today on concealed weapons and constitutional carry laws today as compared to where we were in 1991 when he took the job. But that was then.

I don't think we should be killing elephants, but for God's sake if you are going to hunt you owe it to the game to have the skill to make a clean humane kill. Over the years, from what I have read, LaPierre seems to have been seduced by the money and power. He had his time but to me he has clearly outlived his effectiveness and usefulness to the organization, and he should step down. Now, where do we find a strong leader to replace him to carry on the fight?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
airsoft guy
The Joy Maker

posted April 28, 2021 11:19 PM Hide Post
Fuck Great Value Stephen King, but for real, grabbers, this shit is from years ago.

Right. Wayne is a much better man now! Roll Eyes

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Micropterus has the correct answer. The money raised through hunting licenses and permits helps locals stop poachers.

I don't like Wayne either and until he is gone, they won't get any more money from me.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
quote:
airsoft guy
The Joy Maker

Fuck Great Value Stephen King, but for real, grabbers, this shit is from years ago.

The point is that its an 8 year old story and being propagated as a hit piece not on WLP but the NRA and it's members, designed to hurt the image of the NRA and project a negative image on gun owners and hunting in general.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He had his time but to me he has clearly outlived his effectiveness and usefulness to the organization, and he should step down.

This sums up WLP perfectly.

Posts: 1363 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm opposed to all trophy hunting. If there's no need to harvest an animal for food, no need to cull a herd for humane reasons (famine avoidance, pest control, etc) and no need to kill an animal because it's a danger to you or other humans, then leave it alone.

If you want to prove that you're a great hunter and can outwit some creature in the wild, leave the gun behind. Find yourself a suitable stick and make a spear out of it. Now let's see you bag your trophy, you great hunter. Careful you don't get bagged yourself. Shoes? Clothes? You don't need those, do you? GPS? Binoculars? You must be joking. You're fortunate to have the spear. Go on, cave man. Get to it.

Why kill something when there is no need to do so? What a complete waste, and cruel, too. It certainly doesn't make you a man.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I see no difference between going to the grocery store or the woods, prairie, tundra, or whatever to harvest food. We eat protein. Plain and simple. The cows, pigs, chickens, fish, etc. are required by humans to survive. Or if you choose to harvest your own that is good too. If you feel better going to the store and buying a package, fine.
Everything I have harvested we ate unless it was sick or injured. No normal person likes to see things die. But it is part of how things work and were created.

Killing of animals for sport is dumb. But many things are. Killing things that are a menace is also necessary for other things to survive at times.

If you don't live in the city chances are you get it.

The food chain is a real thing.

Who decides whether there is a need vs no need?
It is a choice, made by individuals. There is no cruelty involved in the vast majority of cases.
A predator killing offspring or pregnant females or any living thing can be a cruel end. But again it is nature.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19245 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
HRK
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted April 29, 2021 09:53 AM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
quote:
airsoft guy
The Joy Maker

The point is that its an 8 year old story and being propagated as a hit piece not on WLP but the NRA and it's members, designed to hurt the image of the NRA and project a negative image on gun owners and hunting in general

As Sigolicious points out on p.1 of this thread, we often post news stories and videos from years ago about public figures, like Obama, when they shed light about exactly the kind of person we are dealing with. Big deal what the NY Post's motive was, the MSM is always attacking the NRA.

And about money from hunts like this being used to go after poachers. The poachers pay off local enforcement. Every once in a while poachers who are not paying bribes will be killed to make a show.

I don't know about elephant meat being distributed to the poor-- I never saw anything like that happen. My guess I that by the time the trophy hunter has decided on exactly what he wants to take home-- the feet for umbrella stands and waste baskets, the tusks, how much hide to strip, and so on-- the carcass roasting in the sun will be food for jackels and vultures only.

To kill an animal just so you can take a picture with it and hang it's head on your wall-- I don't know what to say to anybody who thinks that's okay.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11109 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem with the hunt. And dragging this out now is an attempt to discredit the NRA.

But WLP's time at the NRA should be long over. He is a liability to the NRA which goes beyond this video's effects on the unwashed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm opposed to all trophy hunting. If there's no need to harvest an animal for food, no need to cull a herd for humane reasons (famine avoidance, pest control, etc) and no need to kill an animal because it's a danger to you or other humans, then leave it alone.

If you want to prove that you're a great hunter and can outwit some creature in the wild, leave the gun behind. Find yourself a suitable stick and make a spear out of it. Now let's see you bag your trophy, you great hunter. Careful you don't get bagged yourself. Shoes? Clothes? You don't need those, do you? GPS? Binoculars? You must be joking. You're fortunate to have the spear. Go on, cave man. Get to it.

Why kill something when there is no need to do so? What a complete waste, and cruel, too. It certainly doesn't make you a man.

Well said.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Well said.

Ditto- How hard is it to "hunt" an elephant? Not like it can hide.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Killing of animals for sport is dumb. But many things are.
Gee, that's deep. And pointless. Is this supposed to pass for a logical argument?
quote:
Killing things that are a menace is also necessary for other things to survive at times.
Yeah, I covered that part of it. I guess you missed it. BTW, was the elephant stalking Wayne? Calling him up at his hotel, peering at him though the window of a restaurant while Wayne tried to eat his meals? I hear the elephant slashed the tires on Wayne's Range Rover (with all factory options, of course). Sounds like a living Hell. No wonder Wayne was forced to deal with him. That elephant left Wayne no choice.
quote:
If you don't live in the city chances are you get it.

The food chain is a real thing.
Did Wayne barbecue his elephant, or did he make of it a tasty stew? If you "don't live in the city"? Are you kidding? We're talking about guiding principles. It hasn't got a single thing to do with where one lives. There's right, and there's wrong, and ending the life of another creature, when there is no actual need, is wrong.
quote:
Who decides whether there is a need vs no need?
You must be kidding. If a man needs to put food on his table and he has access to lands for hunting, then he should hunt. If he doesn't need to harvest wild game in order to feed himself and his family, then there is no need. If some animal or other poses no danger to humans, then there is no need. If that animal or others is not in danger of starvation because the food supply will not support the animal poulation, then there is no need. These concepts are not new, and it isn't rocket science.
quote:
There is no cruelty involved in the vast majority of cases.
Excuse me? You ended the life of another creature, with no need to do so. Who are you to make that call? Who are you to go out and kill something for pleasure, and how is it not abject cruelty to end the existence of some creature who is just minding their own business?
quote:
A predator killing offspring or pregnant females or any living thing can be a cruel end. But again it is nature.
No shit. Is all of this your entire argument, or is there more to it?

We used to have a member here. Oh, everyone loved and respected him. Oh, he was such a great guy, and smart and interesting and all that stuff.

Yeah, he spent his spare time killing prairie dogs. Killed them by the hundreds. Nothing but murder. I told him to stop posting all that gore and he did so, but he didn't like it, and when push came to shove, he showed who he really is.