SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore County: CCW holder kills man in bar parking lot
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore County: CCW holder kills man in bar parking lot Login/Join 
posted
Based on info in the article, I'm not seeing a good reason to get involved.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/n...4bbzee4ra-story.html

Man dies in shootout with off-duty Air National Guard officer at Golden Dragon in Baltimore County, police say

By MCKENNA OXENDEN and KEVIN RECTOR
BALTIMORE SUN |
JUL 12, 2019 | 6:33 PM

A man was killed in an exchange of gunfire with an off-duty member of the Maryland Air National Guard in the parking lot of the Golden Dragon bar and restaurant in Windsor Mill early Friday, Baltimore County police said.

Another man was also injured in the shooting — though it was unclear who shot him, police said. The airman, who the National Guard identified as Senior Airman Keith M. Luckey, was not injured, police said.

County police spokesman Cpl. Shawn Vinson said police were called to the Golden Dragon Bar and Grill in the 8100 block of Liberty Road for reports of gunfire just before 2 a.m.

Luckey was inside the restaurant when he noticed a group of people arguing in the back parking lot, Vinson said. According to police, Luckey walked up to the group to try to deescalate the argument when he noticed a man had a handgun.

Luckey, who had a gun permit, ordered the man to drop the handgun, and when he refused, Luckey fired his gun several times, Vinson said. The man fired back, Vinson said.

The man was struck several times. He was taken to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Police identified him Friday afternoon as Jerome Dewitt Garrison, 36, of the Irvington area.

Garrison’s family could not immediately be reached for comment.

Maj. Kurt M. Rauschenberg, a Maryland National Guard spokesman, said that Luckey is a member of the 175th Security Forces Squadron, which is tasked with “ensuring the safety of the people, property and resources on an Air Force base.” He joined the Maryland Air National Guard in 2013, and was deployed to Kuwait from July 2018 until January.

Luckey has a private security company registered in Maryland called American Professional Security, and is a certified handgun instructor in the state, according to a website for the company, which Rauschenberg confirmed belongs to Luckey.

Rauschenberg referred all other questions to county police. Luckey could not immediately be reached for comment.

Luckey describes himself on the website as a “[h]ard working, ambitious, creative, accomplished police officer and fire fighter professional with over 5 years of dedicated service to the U.S. Air Force.”

The website says his experience as a member of the 175th Security Forces Squadron has included responding to active shooter situations and securing crime scenes. It says he is currently responsible for “crime prevention, criminal investigations, and other matters relating to the physical security of” the Warfield Air National Guard base in Middle River.

During the shooting, a 32-year-old man was struck in his upper body by gunfire, Vinson said. It is not clear who shot the man or if he was involved in the argument. The man was treated at an area hospital and released.

Thursday was just a “normal party night,” said Sunnah Bilal, who’s worked as a server at the Golden Dragon for more than two years. She didn’t see any altercations inside, but said the bar was rowdy and noisy, and a DJ was playing loud music.

Staff were inside preparing to close the restaurant when the shooting occurred, Bilal said.

“The police were out there before we knew anything,” she said. “We didn’t have a clue.”

A neighbor who lives close to the Golden Dragon, who declined to provide his name out of safety concerns, awoke to the sound of gunshots last night. He said the bar’s patrons have previously caused problems for the neighborhood.

“They throw trash all over the place, they speed down the street, they fight,” the neighbor said. “They totaled my truck parked here.”

The owner of the Golden Dragon couldn’t be reached for comment.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
That restaurant is a half mile from the house I grew up in.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There has to be more to this.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

Luckey likely intervened because of his background. Owns a private security firm, claims to be a police officer on his website, beside being in the ANG.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph..."

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Luckey likely intervened because of his background.

This ^^^^^

I would've stayed out of it, but I don't do that kind of thing for a living and have exactly zero training or experience in such things.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph..."

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Luckey likely intervened because of his background.

This ^^^^^

Just from the article, how do you know that the guy holding the gun wasn't actually the "good guy" here and pulled his gun for whatever reason? Now introduce Mr. Hero who pulls his gun and starts barking orders without a clue what the original argument was about or who's who. Not to mention these people probably don't know Luckey from Adam. All of sudden bullets are flying and someone is dead.

We really need more info.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Very little info, however the combination of a CCW holder, 2AM, Bar closing time, and dead person is not a good combination.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Hmmm..........he has been in the Air Guard for six years and he is only a Senior Air Man. That does not sound right. I won't be surprised if he gets charged. Remember what I said in previous thread, be a good witness and never get involved in shithead on shit head crime.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We can't know what justification he might have had to intervene. Maybe trying to be Dudley Doright, maybe coming to the aid of a friend, maybe the guy who got shot was threatening people with the gun from the outset and he felt a duty to act, I don't have enough information to make a judgment. I am sure law enforcement will investigate thoroughly and apply the reasonable man standard. I am especially interested in knowing the dead guy's background. I want to know the facts of this case as they unfold. I do know the Airman would have attended a 14 week USAF police academy and a lot of follow on firearms training before he deployed, in addition to being a state certified firearms instructor.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thursday was just a “normal party night,” said Sunnah Bilal, who’s worked as a server at the Golden Dragon for more than two years

2AM, what type of jobs do these folks have? Fri & Sat nights that crowd must really get down!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
He might wishes he would have called 911 before it's over. Got wait for more investigation

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I figured we wouldn’t make it off of the first page before someone would quote Edmond Burke, or whomever we want to attribute that to.

He killed a man. Maybe he needed killing. Maybe he didn’t. The thing that is for sure is that I doubt he had any legal authority to “order” the man to drop the gun, if the article is correct.

Either way, life as he knew it is over with.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I figured we wouldn’t make it off of the first page before someone would quote Edmond Burke, or whomever we want to attribute that to.

He killed a man. Maybe he needed killing. Maybe he didn’t. The thing that is for sure is that I doubt he had any legal authority to “order” the man to drop the gun, if the article is correct.

I totally agree with this. Although he claims to be a cop on his website, based on the article, nowhere else is it mentioned that he was a cop, even if off duty. He was just a gung-ho type, imo.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
he claims to be a cop on his website
I did not see a link to his website. Was there one earlier in this thread? Did I just miss it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I did not see a link to his website. Was there one earlier in this thread? Did I just miss it?

It's mentioned in the article:
quote:
Luckey describes himself on the website as a “[h]ard working, ambitious, creative, accomplished police officer and fire fighter professional with over 5 years of dedicated service to the U.S. Air Force.”

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
It's mentioned in the article:
quote:
Yes, I know that it is mentioned, but I did not see an actual like anywhere.

I'll clarify: I would like to take a look at his website. What is the URL?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rumors are he was working security there, which is why he intervened.

As a side note, Baltimore County Police are not very gun friendly. I hope this guy didn't use a pistol he liked because even if not charged they'll probably keep it for years.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

As our oriental redneck points out, what within the two operating brain cells that led our hero wannabe to decide he was in charge?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Rumors are he was working security there, which is why he intervened...

If true, that makes a HUGE difference. A lot of info has been released, but not a critical fact that he was working private security (although it sure seems like the place needs it). This article suggests he was not working security.

Maybe the media are lazy and choose to focus on his status as an SF with the Air Guard, who knows.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article...lden-dragon/28374317

Man dead in shootout with airman outside Golden Dragon
WBAL Updated: 6:13 PM EDT Jul 12, 2019
Jenny Fulginiti
Digital Editor
David Collins

WINDSOR MILL, Md. —
A man is dead after exchanging gunfire overnight with a National Guard airman in the Golden Dragon Bar and Grill parking lot in Windsor Mill, police said.

A preliminary investigation indicates patrons were leaving the Golden Dragon as it was closing around 1:45 a.m. Friday, and there was an argument between some individuals in the back of the parking lot, Baltimore County police Cpl. Shawn Vinson said.

"(The airman) saw this argument. As he was approaching the individuals, he saw that one of them had a handgun. That (airman) pulled out his handgun, ordered the person to drop the gun. That person did not drop the gun. That (airman) felt threatened and he fired his weapon at that point," Vinson said.

Vinson said investigators have confirmed both the airman and the armed man fired their guns.

"We have confirmed that there was an exchange of gunfire. We believe the individual who was struck did fire at the (airman) also," Vinson said.

The armed man, identified by police as Jerome Dewitt Garrison, 36, suffered multiple gunshot wounds. He was taken to a hospital, where he died.

County police said they recovered a gun at the scene of the shooting.

County police said the airman is a security forces member of the Maryland Air National Guard who has a gun permit. He was not injured. The 11 News I-Team has learned his name is Keith Luckey and that he used his personal gun.

Maryland National Guard spokesman Maj. Kurt M. Rauschenberg told the 11 News I-Team in a statement, "Keith M. Luckey is a senior airman with the Maryland Air National Guard's 175th Security Forces Squadron. He is security forces member, which consists of ensuring the safety of the people, property and resources on an Air Force base. SrA Luckey joined the Maryland Air National Guard in February 2013 and deployed to Kuwait from July 2018 to January."

Police said a bullet grazed another man, who suffered a non-fatal gunshot wound to his upper body and was taken to a hospital. It was not known who fired that shot.

"It will be up to the State's Attorney's Office to review the circumstances in that a regular person would not have police powers to step in," Vinson said.

The Golden Dragon has several security cameras around the building, and as many as two of the cameras may have captured video of the shooting.

It is believed the airman had been inside the Golden Dragon before the incident as a patron and was not working security, Baltimore County police Cpl. Shawn Vinson said.

Neighbors told 11 News that the Golden Dragon crowd is rowdy and sometimes out of control on Thursday nights.

"They got big parties at the location over there, and you got the drunks all over the place. They are making a mess everywhere. The whole neighborhood, because of that, like I said, is going down," said Albert Craemer, a business owner.

In December, police responded to a brawl inside the Golden Dragon.

Stay with WBALTV.com and 11 News for more on this developing story.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

If true, that makes a HUGE difference. A lot of info has been released, but not a critical fact that he was working private security (although it sure seems like the place needs it). This article suggests he was not working security.

Not not really it doesn't.

I work private security twice per month at a bingo hall. Now, to put in perspective, I am a full time sworn detective. 24 years on. 18 of those assigned to special operations. My jurisdiction. Master class shooter. State, local and federal arrest powers. I figure in that time, I've done 1,500 high risk entries or so.

And any disturbance that isn't life threatening, I'm calling the real, on duty police to handle it. I'm not going to insert myself into a situation unless I absolutely have to. Me introducing a gun (two guns actually) into a situation with a bunch of ratchet-asses doesn't do a positive thing. If it comes down to having to shoot someone, I'm sure not going to act like Steve McGarrett and order them to "reach for the sky, pilgrim". If it is bad enough that I have to get involved, they are getting verbal commands as the gun is cycling.

I'm there to be a fire extinguisher. And that is it.

People seem to not want to use their brains when they put a gun in their hand. And at face value, this is what this seems to be. The job is to be security, and not the police. There is a difference, and going out to investigate a squabble in the parking lot neatly fits into the category of the latter. Thinking your way through things, managing assets and liability is the mark of a smart person. The whole idea that not getting involved in everything is "cowardice" is that same mentality that I hear from younger cops when management calls pursuits off because of the nature of the petty crime they are pursuing for. The risk of involvement isn't worth the consequence of bad things happening that didn't have to happen.

To quote CPD SIG's tagline, "When it comes time to shoot, shoot". Until then be a good witness and call the on duty police and let them send out a couple of sector cars to do their thing.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post