SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore County: CCW holder kills man in bar parking lot
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore County: CCW holder kills man in bar parking lot Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
As a longtime peace officer, there are only three off-duty situations where I would even consider identifying myself and/or using deadly force:

1. Someone running after and actually shooting at another person.

2. Being where an armed robbery is taking place AND the suspect(s) starts to take employees and/or customers into the back room (only purpose for that is to execute everyone).

3. I would ID myself if I encountered a male beating a female, a child, or elderly/disabled person and then let the suspect’s actions dictate whether to escalate and display my weapon.

Short of those three, I would be a good witness.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
...never get out of the boat...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
As a longtime peace officer, there are only three off-duty situations where I would even consider identifying myself and/or using deadly force:

since we are professional Monday morning quarterbacks, what if the guy chasing and shooting was chasing a bad guy who'd just killed his family?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
In Maryland, what exactly is a "state-certified" firearms instructor? What does an individual have to do to attain such status? To connect it to this story, and the possession of a "may-issue" CCW, it seems logical that the shooter has some LE standing in the eyes of MD laws.

By way of contrast, to my knowledge VA offers no such certifications, nor has anyone I've ever talked to from MD has referenced such a thing. Some of these individuals were folks taking the NRA Instructors class, so it would have been natural for it to come up in conversation.

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
In TN you have to be certified by the state to teach the class and proctor the exam.

I can assure you that there is no inferred LEO status.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Certainly, not enough facts for me to comment on.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
The only fact that I'm somewhat sure of is that a Senior Airman (E4) is not any kind of an officer.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Certainly, not enough facts for me to comment on.

Exactly, we have zero info on exactly what the situation was and everyone is jumping to conclusions that this guy was a wannabe hero who should have minded his own business.

That may be true (and is my default position, to mind my business), or it could be Jerome and co were moments away from busting caps into innocent people and that fact would have been obvious to any of us had we been there and he saved lives...we don’t know.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm going with the 'not getting involved' for $400, Alex.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Being a good witness is usually the best approach when you have no idea what the facts are.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:

since we are professional Monday morning quarterbacks, what if the guy chasing and shooting was chasing a bad guy who'd just killed his family?

Please note that I used “consider” and “and/or” in my post, not “shoot him immediately.”

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Not judging and have kind of jumped psst most of the comments....

but "2:00 a.m. outside a bar" is not where you will ever find me..... I have never heard of anything good happening when these two things coincide.
(I don't care how good she looked inside the bar)

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I work private security twice per month at a bingo hall.
I'm there to be a fire extinguisher. And that is it.

It appears that's just what he was doing. From the article quoted in the OP:
quote:

Luckey was inside the restaurant when he noticed a group of people arguing in the back parking lot, Vinson said. According to police, Luckey walked up to the group to try to deescalate the argument when he noticed a man had a handgun.

I read that as him noticing the weapon only after he'd walked out to try to extinguish the fire in the parking lot. Assuming the narrative in the news report is accurate: What was he to do after he observed the weapon? Again assuming the news report is at all accurate: It sounds to me like he'd gotten himself into a no-win situation--all for trying to extinguish a fire in the parking lot.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I work private security twice per month at a bingo hall.
I'm there to be a fire extinguisher. And that is it.

It appears that's just what he was doing. From the article quoted in the OP:
quote:

Luckey was inside the restaurant when he noticed a group of people arguing in the back parking lot, Vinson said. According to police, Luckey walked up to the group to try to deescalate the argument when he noticed a man had a handgun.

I read that as him noticing the weapon only after he'd walked out to try to extinguish the fire in the parking lot. Assuming the narrative in the news report is accurate: What was he to do after he observed the weapon? Again assuming the news report is at all accurate: It sounds to me like he'd gotten himself into a no-win situation--all for trying to extinguish a fire in the parking lot.

In today's society that isn't fire, that is barely smoke.

The question to ask is would a reasonable person look at the totality of the situation (Baltimore, 2AM in the morning, yelling group of people IN THE PARKING LOT) and say to themselves, you know, I need to go over there and stick my nose into this just because I have a gun?

The answer, of course, is absolutely not. As I said, life as he knows it is over, and despite the stretches at trying to make this seem justified, for the rest of his life he'll wish that he kept his nose out of the business of others. Because based upon what you say, he went over and precipitated a killing that didn't have to be.

You, nor I, have to reap the consequences of the actual details. Luckily. We get the luxury and comfort of being able to discuss it, and then I'm headed back upstairs to finish cleaning the bathroom, and then out to PT. And I doubt after you read this you'll give it much thought either. This guy will have it in his mind for a long while.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
In the course of human history, how many times has a stranger successfully deescalated an argument between others in a bar parking after midnight?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
In the course of human history, how many times has a stranger successfully deescalated an argument between others in a bar parking after midnight?

Only when that stranger was a pair of titties.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:

Only when that stranger was a pair of titties.

Isn’t that pair often the cause of the drama? Something tells me that most times introducing that pair would be like throwing gasoline on a fire at least nine times out of ten.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

Isn’t that pair often the cause of the drama? Something tells me that most times introducing that pair would be like throwing gasoline on a fire at least nine times out of ten.

Come on. Two dudes are in an argument, and a beautiful woman who neither dude has ever seen before and has nothing to do with anything just dumps out her fun bags, I'm betting most guys are going to at least take a moment to stop arguing and take a look.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^ He’s right, you know.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a lifelong Maryland resident, this guy is toast.
Maryland is very anti CCW and it will outrage them that someone who they actually blessed with a carry permit would actually have the audacity to use a firearm in defense themselves or someone else.....
Well, like I said, I think the guy is toast.

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post