SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ammo storage box or bulk?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo storage box or bulk? Login/Join 
posted
I am moving most of my ammo to Ammo cans.

Some metal, some plastic.

I can fit more in the cans if I just take the ammo out of the boxes and either dumps them in loose or in plastic bags of 100 or 200.

What is the consensus for ammo storage?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cans get heavy like that. I leave in boxes in the cans, then I can pull out how many boxes I want for range time.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2364 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I leave it in boxes --- for such time as I'm gone and kids have to deal with it, sell it, trade it for food, whatever.

also, I like to keep ammo matching to LOT numbers on boxes in case of a recall. If it's all mixed up and there is a recall, how would you know which rounds are recalled?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I just keep in in case boxes, other than the one case that I’m working off in whatever caliber.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Place the box ends in the plastic bags?

Right now I get about 400 to 450 rounds per can in boxes and easily 1000 rounds in bags.

But boxes are easier at the range.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Factory or reloads? Factory, I keep in boxes and put in ammo cans or just on the shelf.

Reload go in ammo cans with a data card.

For range use and matches, I use the Emdom Soft Ammo Can, SAC. https://www.emdomusa.com/Emdom...-Small-p/eu098as.htm

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Depending on how I buy the ammo but I typically dump either 100 or 200 rounds into a freezer Ziploc type bag, cut off the box ends for ID and then put the ammo in a .50 cal can. 2k 9mm fits in a single can.

I wouldn't want to drop a loaded can on my foot because it will cause some serious damage but unless you drop it, it's easy to count cans and multiply for 2k for your ammo total.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Factory ammo stays in factory boxes.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Don't be such a cheapskate, buy more cans. Yes, I keep my reloads in cans. I've reloaded a bunch of 9mm over the years. The guy above who suggested he can get 2000 in a 50 cal can is right on the money. They did make 30 cal cans, back in the day. If you want, you can get fewer in one of those. I stop at 2000 in the 50 cal can because its too heavy to lug around if you put more in. If I'm just going shooting, I grab a handful and dump those in whatever is convenient. Yes, I pick up my empties, always.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ this. Reloads go in plastic boxes from Berrys Manufacturing. I don’t produce enough to store those in ammo cans.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5757 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the consensus for ammo storage?

I prefer keeping the bulk of my various reloads in their own plastic cartridge box with specifics of load in Sharpie of various colors depending on variation of load.

Mostly I store in 50cal ammo cans because they work so well. 30cal ammo cans for smaller caliber/range needs.

I don't like the plastic replica ammo cans as many are too cheaply made to be sturdy enough in lid attachment,handle, or internal dimension for actual plastic cartridge boxes.. They do for loading-room storage.

It is rare for my use to include just unspecified lots loose in any ammo can, unless plan is to shoot them all gone during current/pending range day.

Unsure what this word "factory" actually means, as so few examples are in current collection.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30 cal cans:

1 row of seven, standing boxes on end (350 rnds).

50 cal cans:

2 rows of seven, standing boxes on end (700 rounds).
Up to 1200 RNDS with the 100 rnd value packs.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I keep mine in the factory boxes. Some boxes take up a whole lot of extra space like Blazer, or the ones with styrofoam trays. Others like S&B and Magtech, Russian steel are super compact.

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Factory? Box.

Precision rifle reloads? MTM plastic box. Currently only 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Winchester fit this category. If I add to the bolt gun collection I'll expand the list.

Non precision rifle? Ammo can. I'm not currently set up to do 223, but when I do I plan on doing it on the progressive.

Handgun reloads? Ammo can. I might make exceptions if I ever get around to experimenting with JHP, but as of right now I pretty much only load 9mm (my only pistol caliber) with 147gr RN plated and I am not concerned in the slightest.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve always stored my reloads in plastic ammo boxes. Recently, started shooting 9mm with some buddies. If I load 500-1000, they go in an ammo can. Easier. My non blasting ammo stills rides in boxes.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1129 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It all gets dumped into 50 cal ammo cans with a couple of silica gel packs. I shoot for fun and don't need to keep detailed scientific records of every pull of the trigger.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I do both.
Bulk for mainstream calibers 9mm, 556, 45acp to save space.
I don't for reloaded rifle rounds to keep track of the load data.
Other are still in master cases.
Not an either/or here. Smile

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mostly I leave in the original boxes in ammo cans, shelved. I always keep 1-2 range trips of FMJ in the safe in the original boxes as well as most of SD ammo.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything stays in the factory boxes , then into USGI ammo cans .I have a nylon open top carrying bag that I use to tote ammo to the range . I load it up with whatever I'm shooting that day .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I keep a few thousand each of 9MM, .45 ACP and .223 reloads in ammo boxes and then use 50 round ammo boxes to take to the range every week.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post