SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I had a good week moto camping.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I had a good week moto camping. Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Lost the audio in some of my files, so here is something a little different.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Man I love these threads. I would love to own a bike like these and go hit the back roads with my flyrod. Its funny i spend so much time thinking about what and where I could go on a motorcycle since I have never actually ridden a motorcycle. I keep telling myself there are seven days in the week and someday isn't one of them...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Just go. Life is too short. Bikes are cheap. Regret is expensive.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gw3971,
https://www.utahridered.com/

Classes near you! Hint, hint. Nudge, nudge.

fwbulldog, two thumbs up! Looks like you had loads of fun.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
gw3971,
https://www.utahridered.com/

fwbulldog, two thumbs up! Looks like you had loads of fun.

Haven't finished editing the Utah segment yet, but holy shit does Utah have some awesome and diverse riding. Snowy mountains to desert. I can't wait to explore more of it. Someday I'll have the bike, the balls, and the right friends to ride Lockhart Basin. (not doing it on a 600 lb Tiger 900)

Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
If you're ever on I70 in west Colorado, and you have an extra hour, make the drive up 325 to see Rifle Falls and Rifle Mountain Park. This is my hometown. Made famous now for a restaurant called "shooters" and a congresswoman that might be a few cards short of a full deck.

But we used to be famous for the Valley View Curtain fiasco. In 1972 a pair of artists decided to hang a giant orange curtain across Rifle Gap. It lasted 28 hours. The concrete footings are still there today. I've hiked up to see them.

Can't tell you how much time I've spent at the Falls, camping or snowmobiling up Little Box in White River National Forest. These is one of my favorite places. It was so nice to be home for a while, and see it from the seat of a bike.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice ride fwbulldog, thanks for sharing.
For me there's nothing like taking a motorcycle and camping gear on multi day rides across our beautiful country.
I'm currently planing to ride (probably my Africa Twin) back over to the Great Basin then up to the Cali/Nevada/Oregon area.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
A sprint through Glenwood Springs (the traffic is murder), then a nice wet ride to my parent's place in Rifle. I'm thankful for the Klim gear. I was perfectly comfortable and dry. A little anxious riding the interstate in heavy rain, but those Dunlop Trailmax did a great job with the water.

It was good to see my dad again. He had the door open and was waiting on me to ride in. You can go home again! It's a lot easier to unpack out of the rain.

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Glenwood area traffic was always hit or miss. Been thru there many times, last time about 3 years ago. I've also been to Rifle Falls. Nice place!

Which Klim gear do you have? I got my Africa Twin about a week ago. Put panniers on it today. Now I'm shopping for riding gear. Looking for "3 season" - spring, summer, fall. Well vented - I'm in South Carolina and will ride during summer. Prefer Gore Tex for the rain layer. I looked at (online) the Revzilla Rev-It Sand 4. Looks nice, but not Gore Tex. Bumping up into their Gore Tex line, it looks like it would be hot during summer.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
I have the Klim Carlsbad Jacket and pants for three season gear. In Texas the fourth season is July through September. Smile

I also have a Klim Induction jacket I wear 90% of the time with some Oakland Street and Steel Kevlar pants. I keep a frog toggs jacket stowed for unexpected rain.

I chose the Carlsbad because I have some cold-weather trips planned for next year. Super happy with it for touring. Everything is a compromise.

My fat ass won’t fit into any of the Revit gear. It’s all euro sized for tiny little skinny people. Klim has more of a “North American” cut (as they say, lol). They make some really nice stuff, it’s just doesn’t fit me.

For everyday riding, can’t beat the Induction.

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Good to know about your fat ass and Revit fit, I have one of those too. Cool

I remember looking (virtually) at the Klim Carlsbad gear. I'll look at it again. Unfortunately, I'm not likely to find what I like locally, so will have to go the buy-and-return route.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the rides. I'm now so relaxed it took a lot to get up and type thanks a bunch!! Great stuff!! Wink

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Great trip.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Hope this is ok to keep posting. I know we've got a few riders in this crazy corner of the internet.

I fell in love with Utah on this trip, and this is only the northern mountainous region. I haven't had a chance to get to Moab/Lockhart Basin yet, or see Arches.

So much riding left to do!