SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Diesel or gas?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diesel or gas? Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I don’t particularly like Fords.....I’m a Ram Truck buyer and will remain so.

But, that being said, fwiw, I saw something recently that surveyed Ford Motor technicians at dealerships where they were asked which motor they would personally own and why... and the resounding consensus was for the 5.0 liter V8 saying that they just didn’t show up at dealership repair shops anywhere near the frequency of the eco booster.

Your money, your choice.

0:01

Posts: 4212 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I have a 6 year old F150 3.5 ecoboast with the trailer package. Aside from a couple of batteries, I haven't had any problems (I live in Arizona, it's to be expected that batteries die early).

I also get 18.5 mpg, and I drive it like I do my BMW.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I was a ford guy for forever, have had other vehicles, but always preferred ford. Between what they charge for similar cab and bed options vs the tundra, and how I fucking reliable my last ford was, and throw in some of their social justice bullshit, I'm done with ford.

With what you listed, buy the tundra, get the 5.7 v8. Also, expect close to 15 or 16 mpg. My old man has one and a few people at work do as well and they all average that. I occasionally borrow his for long trips to tow the boat since it handles it better and I usually see around 13 or 14 depending on where I am with hills.

The only other thing I'd look at would be a ram or a Nissan Titan with their 5.6 v8 (but only new since they just switched to their 10 speed automatic transmission).

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Gas. Diesels aren’t great daily drivers especially for short trips. With all that in mind, have you considered a Toyota Tacoma? You could get a new one in your price range. My Taco is 13 years old and pushing 200,000 miles and still runs as good as the day I bought it. I also still get around 20-21 MPG on the freeway and about 17 running around in town. As there is no towing, you should be fine (although I’ve used mine to pull a pop up trailer through some steep mountain passes without problems) and you would have a supremely reliable vehicle - an issue you mentioned.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone try the new Ford 7.3L gas engine? It's a displacement with some good will from the old 7.3 PowerStroke days, although it's a 445 cid instead of a 444 cid. Details details..

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Gas. Diesels aren’t great daily drivers especially for short trips. With all that in mind, have you considered a Toyota Tacoma? You could get a new one in your price range. My Taco is 13 years old and pushing 200,000 miles and still runs as good as the day I bought it. I also still get around 20-21 MPG on the freeway and about 17 running around in town. As there is no towing, you should be fine (although I’ve used mine to pull a pop up trailer through some steep mountain passes without problems) and you would have a supremely reliable vehicle - an issue you mentioned.

In order for me to get a business tax write-off, it needs to be at least 6000 pounds GVWR. I don't think the Taco or the Ranger makes the cut. Was also looking at the Toyota Sequoia, but I'd lose out on the cargo capacity. It would be similar to me already having the Commander, but newer.

Whichever one I get (The F-150 or the Tundra) will eventually have a camper shell.

I do miss having a truck. The last pickup I owned was beige 1993 Dodge Ram 250 with a gas hemi V-6.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5407 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:

In order for me to get a business tax write-off, it needs to be at least 6000 pounds GVWR. I don't think the Taco or the Ranger makes the cut. Was also looking at the Toyota Sequoia, but I'd lose out on the cargo capacity. It would be similar to me already having the Commander, but newer.

Whichever one I get (The F-150 or the Tundra) will eventually have a camper shell.

I do miss having a truck. The last pickup I owned was beige 1993 Dodge Ram 250 with a gas hemi V-6.

Tony.

If you're just going to put a camper shell on it, take a look at a Ford Expedition. It meets the weight and both the second and third row seats fold flat for carrying cargo, plus your cargo is locked, dry, inside.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
My 2017 Tundra is averaging 15.7 mpg.
Plenty of Grin Factor in driving and it should last me another 20 years.
It’s got the grunt to do whatever I need it to do, doesn’t have the nannies that do horseshit like hit the brakes when I don’t want it to and though it lacks bells and whistles other trucks have, it does have what I want!
35k is what I paid in a high truck demand market. (AZ)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
In order for me to get a business tax write-off, it needs to be at least 6000 pounds GVWR. I don't think the Taco or the Ranger makes the cut.

The Ranger does, but the Taco does not.

Posts: 10968 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
I think it boils down to whether or not you need 900+ ft. lbs. of torque. If yes you buy a diesel if not you get a gasser.

Posts: 459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:

In order for me to get a business tax write-off, it needs to be at least 6000 pounds GVWR.

Tony.

Odd, Is this an Oregon thing? I deduct business travel expenses related to my F150 and have never had a problem and its isn't 6k lbs. I think you are going to have a hard time finding any 150 class vehicle that weighs that much. Weight is part of how they get the gas mileage sort of reasonable.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

In order for me to get a business tax write-off, it needs to be at least 6000 pounds GVWR.

Tony.

Odd, Is this an Oregon thing? I deduct business travel expenses related to my F150 and have never had a problem and its isn't 6k lbs. I think you are going to have a hard time finding any 150 class vehicle that weighs that much. Weight is part of how they get the gas mileage sort of reasonable.

It's a 6,000 Lb GVWR for tax code 179, see link

https://www.section179.org/sec..._vehicle_deductions/

Posts: 5333 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
In answer to earlier posts, The repair bill for my fuel system was $12,667.00 which was covered by insurance minus deductible.

As to The OPs question......I have a 2016 F350 DRW with 4:30 gears. I average 15mpg highway unloaded and 12mpg loaded with a 16k 5th wheel. However; the majority of my current towing is about 10k hauling water once a week and 9k hauling my skid steer once a month or so and I average 12mpg because the majority of that driving is on semi improved dirt roads going slow.

If I didn't need to haul the weight I do regularly, I would sell the F350 in a heartbeat and buy any Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 motor that fit my needs. For that matter, I am currently considering how many times I'll move the fiver in the next couple of years or even selling it, and still getting the Tundra.

Bottom line, I you aren't regularly hauling/towing heavy loads there is no reason to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Now, if I could find a chassis cab commercial Toyota with the Cummins motor like the tow truck that hauled my Ford for repair, well I might just have an extra nut available....... Wink

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

It's a 6,000 Lb GVWR for tax code 179, see link

https://www.section179.org/sec..._vehicle_deductions/

Thank you.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Yes, section 179. Smile

I get to fully depreciate the purchase in one year. After that, it's mileage and maintenance expenses. Business has picked up for me every year and now I'm backlogged 6 months. My hope this year is to pay off credit debt from operating and tooling expenses and go into the green. Once I do, it's all about 401k, paying early taxes and making the new vehicle payment. I'm done purchasing tooling for a while, so now I can make some good progress.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5407 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2019 ram 1500 (offroad package so rear locker and 18" wheels) will get 20.x mpg on a trip - around 17.5 running around town. I get 15.x when towing my 3500lb boat.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
What mileage should I expect out of the F250?

Diesel, 14.

Mine is a bit better, around 15 or a bit better. Highway is a solid 18+.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to be mean, but this application doesn't need a 250 and is doesn't need a diesel. period. Get the 150 or the Tundra and be really happy. The rest is nonsense and sometime hard to understand (Nissan- really!).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:

Mine is a bit better, around 15 or a bit better. Highway is a solid 18+.

I get 8-9 on the highway, but that's because I'm only on the highway with our 14,500lb 5th wheel. I could get better mileage on the highway if I did 60 instead of 70+.

Posts: 10968 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Based upon the need to have a heavier vehicle, I would get the Tundra. Number two in line would be the Ford 7.3 push rod gasser that they released this year.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post