SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Diesel or gas?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diesel or gas? Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
Gas. Diesel is more expensive upfront and is more expensive to maintain (especially with today's emissions on diesels). Unless you are pulling heavy loads daily (which you say you aren't) then Gas is the way to go.

Tunda will get you terrible mileage but is probably the most reliable.

F-150, I'm a fan of the 5.0 V8 but not the 3.5 Ecoboost. The 3.5 has the water pump driven by the timing chains. When your water pump goes bad you are looking at a $2000 bill for repair vs $350 (at a repair shop) on a 5.0 V8.

Agree

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be pointless in your situation to go with a F-250 since you're not towing nor carrying anything heavy.

I'd go with a F-150 in the cab configuration you like, with either the 3.5 ecoboost or 5.0......both are very good motors/choices.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Heavy loads and long trips, go diesel but add a really good aftermarket filter.
Otherwise gas. More fueling options and the payback for a diesel is very long.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I've had both the 5.0 V-8 and 3.5 Ecoboost in F-150's and prefer the Ecoboost. I liked the idea of the simplicity of the 5.0, then I drove the Eoboost and got addicted to the greater low end torque that it has.

Same here. I recently purchased a 2020 F150 King Ranch with the 3.5 Ecoboost.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Are you buying new or used? I agree with a gas version for the most part. If you could find a mid 2000's dodge ram with a manual tranny without a ton of miles and not $30k I might consider it. Other wise Toyota all day long. My 10' Tundra will get 18 mpg with a bottle of Lucas and mostly highway driving. Will handle a ton of weight and has great power (5.7) Not a lot of bells and whistles. Rock solid and will outlast the others by a mile.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Might be inclined to go with the new Ranger 4x4 crew cab. Light, narrow, good clearance, ecoboost power, be similar to using a Tacoma size vehicle.

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
... In the running are:

-Toyota Tundra
-F150 V8
-F250

All options must have 4WD....

Looking to buy 2018 or newer. $35k-$55k budget.

Were it my choice I'd buy a new 2021 Tundra 4x4 SR5 for $40K. It won't get the best mpg but in reality not much less than the other trucks and I don't believe there's a more durable, trouble free truck being made.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 3/4 ton truck would be a poor choice. Heavier, rougher riding, poorer fuel economy, etc. I would get something in 1/2 ton. I own a Ram 2500 diesel and it gets great fuel economy, about 25 mpg on the freeway. A diesel 1/2 ton would be interesting, but I would thoroughly investigate any possibilities.

-c1steve

Posts: 4057 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Nissan Titan. Warranty is 5 years vs 3 years, and it has 400 HP.

Posts: 78 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Okay then. Looks like I can't go wrong with the F-150 or Tundra.

I'll most likely get a camper shell or tonneau cover. The last trip to the mountain dusted everything exposed in my friend's ranger bed.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5412 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtCowboy
posted Hide Post
Tony:

If you are ever in AZ, look me up. I am driving a 2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with the 4.7 V8. Over 200k on it and still works awesome.

I get between 17-18 MPG per tank and that is hand calculated. Haven't towed with it yet but looking to put a camper shell on it soon.

Posts: 250 | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Will do, my friend!

As for the F-150 I was hesitant about the 3.5L engine. Is it just as powerful as the 5.0L? which is better for going uphill or off-road? Will one do better at keeping my at freeway speed up a 6% grade over 5 or 10 miles?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5412 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Just went through this with my new Chev Colorado purchase. As i don't ever tow or do heavy loads the extra expense did not work out.

I know guys having issues with the diesel pollution systems...not worth the BS. I went gas.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it just as powerful as the 5.0L? which is better for going uphill or off-road?

The two engines are pretty similar. Ford likes the 3.5L a bit better at an emotional level and its tow rating is a bit better, but since you are not towing that's really not an issue. The coyote makes a bit more horsepower and the ecoboost a bit more torque. The 3.5L is 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque,5.0L V8 is 395 hp and 400 pound-feet of torque. Given everything the 3.5L is probably a bit better uphill, and the 5.0 a bit better off road where none of these numbers matter a hoot. Me personally I would get the 5.0 as it does a bit better in the long term maintenance area but you pay for that with fuel a little bit at a time.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11006 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not get a Tacoma and use the 20k you save to buy something nice for the old lady.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
F-150, I'm a fan of the 5.0 V8 but not the 3.5 Ecoboost. The 3.5 has the water pump driven by the timing chains.

This is not correct. The truck engine has an external water pump. The engine you refer to is used in FWD cars and SUVs like the Edge and Taurus. It's still three hours labor, but that isn't as bad as 10.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why not get a Tacoma and use the 20k you save

show me anywhere in a similar configuration a 20K gap from a Tacoma to a Tundra. And while that might be 10K on paper and a bit less in real life the F150 gap is even less.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11006 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Gas. Diesels aren’t great daily drivers especially for short trips. With all that in mind, have you considered a Toyota Tacoma? You could get a new one in your price range. My Taco is 13 years old and pushing 200,000 miles and still runs as good as the day I bought it. I also still get around 20-21 MPG on the freeway and about 17 running around in town. As there is no towing, you should be fine (although I’ve used mine to pull a pop up trailer through some steep mountain passes without problems) and you would have a supremely reliable vehicle - an issue you mentioned.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I know this will offend those who have recently gone the Tacoma route. But their are many unbiased opinions on why the current Toyota Tacoma is not a great rig to buy. Notice how many current generation are for sale these days? Tons.

There are so many better options. Like the Tundra Big Grin

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
^^^^^ Will do, my friend!

As for the F-150 I was hesitant about the 3.5L engine. Is it just as powerful as the 5.0L? which is better for going uphill or off-road? Will one do better at keeping my at freeway speed up a 6% grade over 5 or 10 miles?

Tony.

I've owned both. While similar power on paper, the 5.0 makes it's power and torque higher in the rpm range than the 3.5 Ecoboost. It makes power, but you've got to rev it. The Ecoboost has much more torque down low. The 5.0 will pull a grade but it will have to rev higher. The big difference is that the Ecoboost will not lose as much power at high altitude. Roadtripping through Colorado, the truck was an absi=olute beast on mountain passes. As far as off-road, the Ecoboost has more low end torque. But in 4 Low, the 5.0 has more than enough torque.

They're both good motors and it probably comes down to personal preference. I like the power and torque that the Ecoboost has down low over the 5.0. That said, my former 5.0 with an intake and exhaust sounded like pure American V-8 goodness.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post