SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Powerball, lottery irregularities
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powerball, lottery irregularities Login/Join 
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Good news! The maintenance guy at PowerBall HQ finally unplugged the ping pong ball hole so the results are due shortly. Whew!

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
10 33 41 47 56 10
If anyone doesn't want to go look the numbers up.

I got the PB on 1 draw & 1 number on another. Guess I'll be going to work tomorrow.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
No winner!

$2.3B

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
No winner!

$2.3B

Incredible.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31444 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

My understanding is that each drawing is supposed to be random, so the same combination of numbers could come up again. There is no mechanism for "retiring" a winning combination of numbers.

But as discussed, the odds of it happening are very long.

Yes, each drawing is an independent event. It is certainly possible to draw all the same numbers twice in a row. The chances of drawing any given number two or three drawings in a row are probably not as long as you might think.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

My understanding is that each drawing is supposed to be random, so the same combination of numbers could come up again. There is no mechanism for "retiring" a winning combination of numbers.

But as discussed, the odds of it happening are very long.

Yes, each drawing is an independent event. It is certainly possible to draw all the same numbers twice in a row. The chances of drawing any given number two or three drawings in a row are probably not as long as you might think.

It's like the odds of two people in a group having the same birthday. In a group of only 23 people the odds are over 49% that two of them have the same birthday. It seems much less likely.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
No winner!

$2.3B

Incredible.

Unfortunately also inaccurate. Where do you people find this made up stuff?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah. There is apparently a winner in California.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20107 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20107 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked my brother to play so he could build me a house upon winning.

He said that the second he saw Warren Buffett buying lottery tickets , he would start playing.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54645 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I realize that not buying lottery tickets reduces my chance of winning anything from infinitesimal to zero, but I accept it. At least when I drink a beer I get some pleasure out of it. Not so with a losing lottery ticket or other gambling.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yes a little hit or miss lately. After several failed attempts the other day I downsized some large photos myself (I usually let post image do that to 640 x 480) After a slight downsize they worked first try.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Yes a little hit or miss lately. After several failed attempts the other day I downsized some large photos myself (I usually let post image do that to 640 x 480) After a slight downsize they worked first try.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

Pretty sure he thought he was in the Postimage thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/9790090694

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Yes, I know.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
Are you suggesting that there is any amount of logical thought that is involved in playing lottery ?

The only reason to play the lottery is because you don't dream enough while sleeping.

Dream that half of your three dollars will go to helping the schools.
Dream that 250 people will
Win the 79 million dollars instead of one guy .

You can help send the Eagle scout to the state college.

Dream that you can pay off the car that 66 y.o. Sheila need to get to work where she cashier's for 6 hours a day.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54645 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Are you suggesting that there is any amount of logical thought that is involved in playing lottery ?

The only reason to play the lottery is because you don't dream enough while sleeping.

Dream that half of your three dollars will go to helping the schools.
Dream that 250 people will dream that
75 people will win the 150 million instead of one guy.

You can help send the Eagle scout to the state college.

Dream that you can pay off the car that 66 y.o. Sheila need to get to work where she cashier's for 6 hours a day.

I can see we have very different dreams.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

$15 in tickets once a year when the jackpot gets this high is a good gamble for me. I can afford the $15, and the potential payoff is enormous.

My life is constrained by limited money. Though we are not poor, $1M would be life changing. If we won tens of millions it would be life changing for my kids and grandkids too.

The odds are teeny tiny, but non-zero.

People who play weekly are indeed spending a lot of money. They would be far better off applying it elsewhere, like paying off debt or investing in a good mutual fund.

Posts: 9452 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post