SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Powerball, lottery irregularities
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powerball, lottery irregularities Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
If you haven’t noticed, the Powerball is nearly $2 billion. I don’t normally play the lottery, but I do when it reaches these levels. It’s actually a fair bet at this point.

Anyway, I noticed last week that the Powerball number was the same (23) for two out of three drawings. It seemed odd (no pun intended).

I mentioned it to my son who lives in New York, and he told me about a New York five number lottery that they draw twice daily, midday and evening. On October 27 the same five numbers came up in both the midday and the evening drawings. 18 21 30 35 36. Two consecutive drawings. They basically said “nothing to see here-move along”.

Now last night the Powerball drawing didn’t take place due to security issues in one (unnamed) state.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but that New York lotto result is crazy.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

And statistically impossible.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Errr … Unlikely

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^ It is statistically possible. About as likely as both being struck by lightning AND winning the lottery on the same day.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you haven’t noticed, the Powerball is nearly $2 billion. I don’t normally play the lottery, but I do when it reaches these levels. It’s actually a fair bet at this point.

Anyway, I noticed last week that the Powerball number was the same (23) for two out of three drawings. It seemed odd (no pun intended).

I mentioned it to my son who lives in New York, and he told me about a New York five number lottery that they draw twice daily, midday and evening. On October 27 the same five numbers came up in both the midday and the evening drawings. 18 21 30 35 36. Two consecutive drawings. They basically said “nothing to see here-move along”.

Now last night the Powerball drawing didn’t take place due to security issues in one (unnamed) state.

The odds of something like that happening in the NY lottery should have set off alarms immediately. The odds are astronomical. I bet some higher up somewhere got rich.

What do you mean by the lottery is a fair bet?

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

What do you mean by the lottery is a fair bet?

He means if the Poweball cash payout (pre tax) goes above $900M, then a ticket is actually worth $2.

All this conspiracy talk about the lotteries reminds me of the novel The Winner by David Baldacci.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"conspiracy theory"
Is no longer a theory,
Lotteries are volunteer taxes,
Government run gambling must be legit.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 316 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
There has been cheating and corruption. This is just one example.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/3...rigged-jackpots.html

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe try to prove your theory...They say the Third Time's the Charm! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

That phrase: "statistically impossible" makes no sense. It isn't even wrong.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If the odds of winning the 2 billion dollar Powerball are 1:292.2 million, why not just buy 292.2 million tickets with every possibility and sextuple your money?

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^If you have 584 million dollars (liquid) you wouldn't have to play the lottery... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
New York says that the odds of matching all five numbers are 1 in 575,757. But once the first drawing is over, the odds of those same numbers coming up again is still 1 in 575,757. They are correct in that. Just like if you flip a coin and it comes up heads 10 times in a row, the odds of it coming up heads again is still 1 in 2.

But, if you ask in advance what are the odds of heads coming up twice in a row, the answer is 1 in 4. And the odds of the same five numbers coming up twice in a row is 1 in 3,149,600,000,000. Roughly 1 in 3 trillion.

What I mean by the Powerbal being a fair bet at these levels is that the odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 292.2 million. Even after federal taxes the cash payout would be $588 million. So if your state has no sales tax, it's an absolutely fair bet. $2 ticket at 1 in 292.2 million odds yields $588 million if you win. A little worse if you have to pay state income tax.

This is like flipping a coin and getting paid even money. Bet $1 and win $1 if you guess correctly. When the Powerball jackpot starts over, say at $20 million, roughly $10 million cash, maybe $6 million after taxes...the odds of winning are still 1 in 292.2 million. That would roughly be like betting $1 on a coin flip, and only winning 2 cents if you guess correctly. That gives you an idea of how bad a bet the lottery normally is.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't see anyone presenting any theories, conspiracy or otherwise??

When did this get to be the default setting? Occam's razor (or at least the misunderstood, misapplied, current popular use of the term) exists for a reason. It doesn't say "the simplest explanation is always true."

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
If the odds of winning the 2 billion dollar Powerball are 1:292.2 million, why not just buy 292.2 million tickets with every possibility and sextuple your money?

Because the $2 billion is not a present value, that's only the total if you take the payout over 30 years. The present value, cash payout is under $1 billion. And that's before taxes. About $588 million after tax.

And, you can't really buy 292 million tickets.

And even if you could buy all the combinations, someone else might get lucky, and then you'd have to split the payout.

People have tried to game big lotteries in the past. Not a good idea for all these reasons.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
And even if you could buy all the combinations, someone else might get lucky, and then you'd have to split the payout.

I know a guy who at the time was a winner of the largest jackpot in US history. It went several weeks with no winner, built up, then finally had matching numbers.

3 winning tickets.

quote:
People have tried to game big lotteries in the past.

Some have been fairly successful at it because they understood the math and possible flaws.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always wondered if the computer picks are each a unique number or could computer picks be duplicated many times?

Posts: 73 | Location: Oceanside, CA | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k4carbon:
I always wondered if the computer picks are each a unique number or could computer picks be duplicated many times?

My understanding is that each drawing is supposed to be random, so the same combination of numbers could come up again. There is no mechanism for "retiring" a winning combination of numbers.

But as discussed, the odds of it happening are very long.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Numbers drawn.
$4 here, if I'm reading the chart right.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
My understanding is that each drawing is supposed to be random, so the same combination of numbers could come up again.

I think that's probably a lot more accurate when it comes to balls being pulled out of a drum.

I'm not so sure I would trust that to be the same when a computer is involved. In addition to any glitch, who knows what is in the programming that could result in intentional or unintentional errors.

I have noticed that on the rare occasion I buy tickets and allow the terminal to choose the numbers that some statistical anomalies have occurred.

For example I have 10 tickets in front of me for the previous Powerball. The Powerball itself is a number between 1 and 26. 8 of my 10 Powerballs are in the 20s. 25 repeated twice, 21 repeated twice, and 24 repeated twice. Anybody want to calculate those odds?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post