SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shotgun choke lube ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Shotgun choke lube ? Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
When lubing a choke do you just put choke lube on the threads or do you put a little on the the entire choke body?


Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.
 
Posts: 4726 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just the threads, and you don't have to put it on the threads closest to the muzzle, because the mating threads on the barrel will have plenty as you screw in the choke.

It's not like the stuff is expensive, but the tendency is to overdo it a bit.
 
Posts: 114933 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
The purpose is to make it easier to remove it for cleaning after long strings of skeet or trap runs with a hot barrel, particularly in the hots sun and summer temps.

As Para said you really don't need that much, and less is often better, because you have less of a mess when removing the tube, and because less lube will help prevent your tube from backing out during long strings of shooting that generate repeated cooling and heating cycles.

I notice that the more expensive the shotgun the less likely tubes start backing out, you just don't see guys shooting clays with expensive target guns having to tighten their choke tubes.

You certainly don't want it beyond the threads. As things heat up that shit cooks and creates a huge mess inside, and may screw with the heat transfer. You want the barrel and choke tube to manage heat more consistent with the rest of the barrel. Little bit on the threads, if you actually need it, is helpful.

IF you never take the choke tube out of the barrel and never run longs strings of shots in any clays games, you could probably have a better excuse to lube the whole thing. I've seen guys unable to remove choke tubes because they left the in too long. Think waterfowlers to treat their guns like oars, literally. This is the only time I think you could stuff your choke tube with excess lube.




Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
 
Posts: 10113 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think a biggie is to take them out once in a while, relube & reinstall. If left in place forever, dry, tight, there’s the potential to get stuck.

Of course with an extended tube it’s easy to take out.

I’m not big on ‘specialty lube’ but nothing against it. Most any lube will work.
 
Posts: 7548 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I use Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube.
 
Posts: 114933 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I think a biggie is to take them out once in a while, relube & reinstall. If left in place forever, dry, tight, there’s the potential to get stuck.

Of course with an extended tube it’s easy to take out.

I’m not big on ‘specialty lube’ but nothing against it. Most any lube will work.

I agree. I put regular gun lube on mine. I fired about 200 rounds through it and it was easy to remove. I clean mine after every use so I have never had an issue removing it.
 
Posts: 5218 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Slicker Than Owl Shit. STOS. Great lube for anything.


_______________________
“There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”
― Frank Zappa
 
Posts: 2042 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I spray some clp down the barrel, run a bore snake through with the choke installed, and again with the choke out. Then I wipe the outside of the choke with a small amount of lube. I’ve never had a stuck choke, even after hundreds of nasty promo loads.


No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
 
Posts: 3952 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I use Birchwood Casey Choke Tube Lube.

This. The brand is pretty good across the board for anything they sell.




Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
 
Posts: 10113 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve never had a stuck choke

I had one once.
Tetra gun grease turned a choke tube into a nightmare.
That shit went into the trash and never again will I use ANYTHING made by that company. I’ve been quite happy with Wilson gun grease. Stays in place, plays well with Breakfree CLP.
(MSDS shows it’s rebranded Lucas or Chevron but the colors are different)


--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.
 
Posts: 4549 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I just use anti-seize. Been using it on heavy equipment all my life and have never had an issue using it on choke tubes either. Just have to go light on it and clean up real good after installing the tube.
 
Posts: 18744 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I shoot skeet. A lot of skeet. I use anti-seize and have for years. I use a q-tip to apply. Pick up a little from the brush and touch the q-tip to the start of the choke threads such that it will spread as you tighten the choke. Anti-seize has the side benefit of keeping the chokes tight. I clean my gun regularly including removing the chokes and never had a stuck choke.
Auto Zone has a one ounce tube of Permatex for $6, I bought the 8 oz bottle years ago and expect to pass it on in my will.



Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?
 
Posts: 978 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
This thread has motivated me to pull out the A-5 and clean and lube the choke tube amongst other things.
Do you think the grade of anti seize makes any difference? I ask cause I only got the gold stuff.
 
Posts: 7964 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Like any lube, there can be various levels of quality.

Just like a vehicle lug nut, how tight does put the tube in, no need to reef it. I think it makes sense to take them out periodically also.

Even with a flush mount tube, if they release by a few threads it should be noticeable. With an extended tube, easy to check once in a while.

I don’t think I’ve ever had one stuck.
 
Posts: 7548 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Do you think the grade of anti seize makes any difference? I ask cause I only got the gold stuff.

I don’t think it makes any difference. The copper colored stuff is what Glock uses.
I’ve never used the Permatex, only the Loctite. It hasn’t failed to do its job.
Whether nickel, copper, etc. it all works.


--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.
 
Posts: 4549 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shotgun choke lube ?

© SIGforum 2026