SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency cash fund on hand
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency cash fund on hand Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I like to keep a few thousand in small bills in my gun safe for emergencies. I usually have
$2-300 in my wallet also. I am a cash person, and never use a debit card(I don't know if I have one), but do use a CC on occasion.

Posts: 6719 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
5k in the gun safe and 1k or so in my wallet. Ill throw a little extra in the vehicle on long trips for emergencies.

Posts: 3161 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Posting in the interwebs how much cash one walks around with or keeps on hand at home. What could possibly go wrong?

Without going into specifics, it's reasonable to keep enough cash as one thinks one might need for a period of time. For some, that's enough for lunch at McDonalds today and for others it's enough to buy a new car or live for a year. On trips, I like to have enough to buy fuel for an entire trip, plus food and a bit more for unforeseen repairs, tows, etc. For emergencies at home, I don't think enough to live for two months would be unreasonable. I also like the idea of having another currency on hand like Swiss Francs.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good thread and food for thought. I keep $2000 in cash in small bills at home. When traveling I'm fickle but usually about $500.

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I put a few bucks each payday into a sort of combination new gun fund, emergency cash and savings account, and keep it in my gun safe. (With the puny amount of interest paid on a small savings account these days, you might as well just keep it at home.) I spent some a while back so am building it back up.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
About $500 in safe.
Carry $100 folded hidden in Wallet

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Bullets is my currency when the shit hits the fan!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7846 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
A milly in the safe and I don't leave the house without a hunnit grand on my person.

Posts: 5085 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My car battery died WHILE evacuating Irma. I went to the first auto parts store I could find open after the storm to source a new one. There computer system was down, phone lines down, credit card processing system down. There were like 5 guys in line trying to buy car batteries, with credit cards. I whipped out a stack of cash, and was able to purchase a battery and be on my way. Everyone else with credit cards? No battery for them.

I try to keep at least $500 in cash available. I might bump that up to $1000. I also keep $300 in my get home bag.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like having cash handy for rando local deals when I'm actively looking for bikes, tools, etc. It's a competitive market, and lots of deals last less than 24hrs. Bank run?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe the little lady has been in your stash or something.

quote:
Math’s hard...

Yea, like you bastards never fat-finger anything.... Razz

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6900 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I have cash on hand.
My wife does not. It falls out of her purse or something.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24642 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I like having cash when I travel and $100 or so on me but no serious cash in the safe. I grabbed a few hundred before Irma, maybe I should have some extra laying around.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
My cash reserves currently consist of whatever is left of the $100 walking around money I take out every paycheck. Attempting to slowly mitigate this but at the moment an impending car purchase is more important than feeling like a high roller.

I live in Indiana, my real disaster risk is a bad thunderstorm or ice storm or a tornado. Wide scale disasters that will mess up basic social services beyond what I've got tucked in the pantry and gas tanks are pretty rare up here, and if a tornado schwacks my house I don't think I can afford enough cash to fix that.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5543 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I keep 5 figures on hand, my wife may have some tucked away, too. You can't get to the bank when roads are out or it's closed!

I think bullets and medicines would be good to have, too. I have the bullets, thinking on over the counter medicines.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could everyone give me their address please? I'd like to make some withdrawals.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3634 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Could everyone give me their address please? I'd like to make some withdrawals.

I live at 551 Bunker Hill Street. Stop by anytime.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Sigh.... in the near future.... zero.... and for the med future too.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$60,000 cash, 50ounces in gold one location. $7000 in bug out location.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Fresh bundle of 5, 10 and 20s.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post