SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency cash fund on hand
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency cash fund on hand Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
Having just gone through a major hurricane Florida what would be a good cash reserve to have on hand. We are lucky and live on high ground and did not leave our home. We only lost power for 13 hours. We were very lucky.
A lot of people had to leave their homes to get out of areas that were going to be effected by the hurricane.
I heard several areas gas stations did not have the ability to take credit cards cash only.
This storm was BIG it not only covered the width of the state but move north through the state in some cases chasing people north out of the state.
If you had to evacuate and be gone for a week what do you think would be a good cash reserve.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2639 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
we usually keep $500 in small bills in the safe for any kind of cash crunch emergency.

6 months living expenses worth in the bank.

HK Ag

Posts: 3535 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I try to keep a minimum of $1000 on hand, preferably more.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I try to keep a minimum of $1000 cash at all times.

It serves as both emergency/natural disaster cash fund like you're describing, as well as acting as a supplemental savings fund for emergency expenses, like sudden house/car repairs, etc.

(I have a bank savings account for those kind of things too, but there have been a few times that I've used the cash on hand for an sudden repair - like to pay the repairman when my garage door spring broke on a Saturday - and then I can just withdraw cash from the bank the next week when I have time.)

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I keep a [redacted] amount in a [redacted] location.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Small bills is important. Not everyone will have change for a crisp new $100 that you've kept in pristine condition for such a contingency.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5675 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That's something I'm very poor at, keeping a cash reserve on hand. I rarely pay in cash for anything. Debit and CC cards rule the day. I'll have to reconsider my thinking about this.

It seems to me that for a true emergency, 2-5 thousand on hand would make more sense for long term evacuation. I think I'll visit my bank today and address this.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I keep about $2500 available and buried in a secure location.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I keep cash on hand, but often dip into it to buy things like reloading supplies, or like when those S&W Shields were on sale. Then I have to take smaller amounts out of the checking account so my wife doesn't notice and replenish my stash. Big Grin

Posts: 5821 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The question depends on the size of your family (including pets) and you must consider:

1. emergency repairs (trees, roof, plumbing)
2. Car expenses
3. Food after storm

Consider at least 7 days of funds. After Wilma it cost me $500 cash to just get a tree off the front of my house. (too big for me to chainsaw) Cash talks after a storm.

If it is a really bad storm you could burn through a grand pretty quick.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Small bills is important. Not everyone will have change for a crisp new $100 that you've kept in pristine condition for such a contingency.

That is a very good point. I keep my stash in $20s.

Posts: 2107 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
5k at home cause you never know. Wink

Posts: 5347 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I keep $500 in twentys on hand.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
For these purposes, I keep several hundred dollars,in ones. Specifically, coin dollars. Spread throughout family it does not add much weight and don't have to worry about water.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:

Where? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

JP

Posts: 2075 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
quote:

JP

In a hermetically sealed old mayo jar, burried under a tree in a remote location guarded by my pet bear. Wink

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
quote:

JP

In a hermetically sealed old mayo jar, burried under a tree in a remote location guarded by my pet bear. Wink

Ahhh, yes, Carnac the Magnificent!!

"A HERMETICALLY SEALED MAYONNAISE JAR KEPT ON FUNK & WAGNALLS' PORCH SINCE NOON TODAY!!!"

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It really depends on your location's natural disaster risks:
  • my previous stint in Houston, I lived 30 miles closer to Galveston Seawall. To be fair, I was in a firearm acquisition mode and kept enough cash on hand for firearm purchases that natural disasters were adequately covered.
  • In Alaska, there were many natural disasters that don't have the prep time like a hurricane (blizzard, earthquake, tsunami, volcano eruption). I kept 4 weeks of food on hand (Houston was a week) and still had sizable firearm procurement cash on hand. Frankly, the Great Alaskan earthquake damaged ports and airports so badly it took 3 weeks for L48 relief to arrive and Anchorage stores do not keep that much on hand so money was likely worthless.
  • In Calgary, I was not in acquiring firearms and kept a few hundred Canadabucks on hand as well as USD. My risks were blizzards, flooding (away from home not at home), and Canadians.
  • My current stint in Houston, I'm 70 miles fromthe Galveston Seawall and my risks are hurricanes and flooding.keep $200 on hand. May

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

No.

But when you hand someone a $100 saying 'Keep the change' - you are damn likely to get what you want. Wink

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of JR78
    posted Hide Post
    $5000 in the safe

Posts: 1982 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post