SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emergency cash fund on hand
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emergency cash fund on hand Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I usually keep $500-1000 in the fire/water proof safe just for this kind of situation. It's also an emergency fund that I don't touch unless absolutely necessary.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I bank with Navy Federal Credit Union so don't have quick access to my bank (not local). I keep $1000 cash in my gun safe and $10,000 in a local bank account, that I don't use for anything other than parking the cash, that I can access quickly in an emergency.

That said, I don't ever have any cash on my person when I need it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LBTRS,

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Bill - $1, $5, $10, $20, $50
Quantity - 20 50, 20, 20, 20, 5 = $1000

ETA: Because people have to nick-pick Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaql,

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6899 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I keep about $300 on me in reserve at all times & at home several hundred more in the safe.

Cash is King and there are just some situations where it can get you out of a quick jam or the ability to obtain/barter at an opportunity.

Cheers~

Posts: 922 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Quantity - 20, 20, 20, 20, 5 = $1000

Lessee,
5x$50. $250
20x$20 $400 $650
20x$10 $200 $850
20x $5 $100 $950
20x$1. $20. $970

Maybe the little lady has been in your stash or something.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I like to keep $50,000 easy access in the bank.
$1000 cash in the safe.

That being said, I bought a truck so the bank cash is down. need to replenish it.

I'm thinking about putting away some silver just to have.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I agree that it depends on your location and how many people you are responsible for.
For my wife and myself we keep anywhere between 2 and 4K on hand.
We also have a truck camper that can be loaded in 1/2 hour and we can live in that for weeks at a time if necessary or get out of Dodge if need be.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10 months wages minimum
that is paying all and every bill that you will incur for 10 solid months.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Small bills is important. Not everyone will have change for a crisp new $100 that you've kept in pristine condition for such a contingency.

No.

But when you hand someone a $100 saying 'Keep the change' - you are damn likely to get what you want. Wink

--------------------------

Or as I saw in New Orleans after Katrina that 2 gallon can of gas the guy was asking $20 for is now $100 cause he go no change.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Enough cash to cover our fixed costs for six months.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 715 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Minimum $5,000 cash on hand. Preferably $10,000.

I don't leave the house without at least $500 in cash on me.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's different for everyone. My advise is to always have cash on hand. The amount depends on how much you're comfortable having in your wallet, your go bag, in your car, and/or around your house. Your personal situation will dictate how much is enough or too much. If it worries you to keep more than a few dollars or a few hundred dollars on hand then don't.

After living through a couple of "inconvenience events," I started saving every $1 and $5 bill that came into my possession for a couple of years. It added up fast. Since my kids were old enough to handle it, everyone in my family has had $15-$50 worth of $1s and/or $5s with them at all times.

Whether or not you use it much, shouldn't cash be part of your EDC lineup?

Posts: 196 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I usually have $100-$200 cash on me and keep another $500 to $1500 on hand at the house in smaller denominations.

My great, great granddaddy Lucias Clay taught me to spread the stockpile in several mason jars and bury them in multiple locations around your property. Just make sure no one sees you burying it or digging it up. Granddaddy Clay would get weird at times and dig it all up just to play with it before burying it again. One night some local boys seen him and tried ripping him off. He got the last laugh though.

quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Quantity - 20, 20, 20, 20, 5 = $1000

Math’s hard...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11227 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like to have some foreign cash on hand, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Smart.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Smart.

We got a million dollars.

A million Brazilian Dollars.

Absolutely worthless. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKAzk9IrKk

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I try to keep a minimum of $1000 on hand, preferably more.

THIS. Here in the Fort Lauderdale area, MOST businesses couldn't take credit cards till last Monday and a few still can't. Most haven't had power for 8 days, but phone lines and internet which credit card machines need to work are still down in lots of places.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I keep a 5 spot tucked into a secret pocket of my wallet.

Posts: 2050 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I bank with Navy Federal Credit Union so don't have quick access to my bank (not local). I keep $1000 cash in my gun safe and $10,000 in a local bank account, that I don't use for anything other than parking the cash, that I can access quickly in an emergency.

That said, I don't ever have any cash on my person when I need it.

How would you access that ten large at 0300 early Sunday morning?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)