SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is/was your favorite manual transmission in a car
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is/was your favorite manual transmission in a car Login/Join 
Picture of RR
posted
Knowing the incredible experience in this place I pose this question. I ask your favorite manual transmission that you have driven. Independent of price, could be an old beater that you once had or something exotic. Was it very precise and mechanical, a short throw, whatever reason you liked it.

Posts: 449 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nothing trumps the exceedingly smooth short throw Honda S2000 6-speed manual transmission period. Big Grin Snick. Snick. Snick.

I've driven a multitude of manuals going back to 3 on the tree pickup to '70 era muscle cars to various sports cars.

Escaped Upstate NY in the mid '70s. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I learned to drive on the hills of downtown San Francisco in a datsun b210 honeybee standard. That car had probably gone through hundreds of student drivers before me and the clutch/transmission was amazing while facing practically uphill.

That's all I got.

Posts: 1992 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I miss the manual trans I had in 3 old cars.
1966 Shelby GT350
1970 Corvette coupe 454
1972 DeTomaso Pantera
I don't miss the 4000# Hayes 3 finger clutch in the Pantera, It was tough when I was young, don't even want to think of dealing with that now that I'm old.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
2007 Mazda 3. Great clutch, great shifter feel.

Posts: 3665 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The one in my 1968 Porsche 911. A long linkage to the transmission towards the rear of the car, but Porsche made it work well – butter smooth. There was something unusual about the Porsche synchronizing mechanism, but I no longer remember the details.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9002 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Muncie 4 speed, had a close ratio and a wide ratio.
The wide ratio in a 396 chevelle with a Mr.gasket vertical gate shifter a great combo.

Posts: 1577 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Honda S2000. Having an engine that revs to 8200 or 9000 rpm (depending on model year) was icing on the cake.

A car that just loved to be driven.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MagnumU,

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
AP2, snickety slick. Wonderful transmission but the motor never did much for me. Not a fan of traditional inline 4’s. I’ve been able to get close to the AP2 trans multiple times. SS, bushings, etc, haven’t found a 6MT I couldn’t tame yet.

Motorcycle, RC51 clutch. Hydraulic, how all bikes should be.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12655 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
1973 Porsche 914 2.0.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Also the Honda S2000, whether in AP1 or AP2. I do miss the scream to 9000.
The car is such fun. Loved driving it around Maui as long as I could find a time there wasn’t a lot of traffic.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
The wide ratio in a 396 chevelle with a Mr.gasket vertical gate shifter a great combo.

I had a "64" Pontiac Tempest LeMans sports coupe with the Muncie M20 CR 4 speed with Hurst linkage behind a 326 v8 that was the perfect 1/4 mile set-up in that era. I came home with a bunch of trophies because of it. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Favorite transmission, 2002 Camaro SS T-56 6 speed manual with the factory optioned Hurst shifter.

Favorite car t drive with a manual, 2006 Pontiac GTO. Same transmission, but without the Hurst. Gear selection wasn't quite as positive but 6th to 4th downshifts were a religious experience...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11781 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My former 2003 Corvette Z06 with a built MN6 6 speed from RPM and a MGW short throw shifter with a pistol grip. Stock trans and shifter were sloppy with long throws. Installed the transmission and shifter myself.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:

i had the wider ratio/2.54, in my '57 chevy!!

Posts: 2220 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
My former 2003 Corvette Z06 with a built MN6 6 speed from RPM and a MGW short throw shifter with a pistol grip. Stock trans and shifter were sloppy with long throws. Installed the transmission and shifter myself.

WOW! At first glance I thought that I wrote the above. LOL

My 2003 Corvette Coupe was born an automatic (A4). I was killing it on the racetrack. I converted it to a manual. I installed an RPM Stage 2 MN12. I also put in C6 shifter. I'm very happy with the swap.

Posts: 534 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
the muncie 4 speed in the 60's ss chev

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19236 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Datsun Z-car. Drove mine for 20 years before I sold it. As has been said ad nauseum, snick snick.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
2019 Type R. Hondas have always had smooth manuals, but this is silky smooth with a short throw.

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
My favorite manual to drive was in my 1980 Porsche 911SC...but I might have been unduly influenced by the whole 911 experience.

The most enjotable manual I've driven recently is a Mazda MX-5 Miata

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post