SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon raising Prime to $120
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon raising Prime to $120 Login/Join 
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
If you really do your homework and look into everything Amazon offers prime members, you’ll quickly realize thats its well worth it. It seems unreasonable to expect companies to keep the price of goods and services the same for decades at a time. If all you get out of Prime is 2 day shipping you’re doing it wrong.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: medic451,

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
After working for them when I first moved to KY until I could land something better, seeing their business practices from the inside, I said I will never again spend my money there.

I did so for about a year and 1/2, they are very convenient, if not completely shitty to their workers, saw plenty of OSHA reporting violations, and lots of injured workers scared into just quitting rather than being taken care of.

They also employed the very dregs of society along with many extremely hard workers. The stories I could tell...

I went through the same experience. The only difference is that I do still buy from them since it can be so much more convenient. However, if anyone ever asks, I will tell them how bad Amazon is to work for. Just like you, the stories I could tell...

Posts: 563 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I agree with qxsoup, 2 day shipping is rarely ever two days for me anymore. For instance, last Wednesday I ordered a Prime item that i needed by Saturday evening. It said it wouldn't arrive until Monday. Roll Eyes

I ended up paying for one day shipping. Guess when the item arrived? Yeah, Thursday. As it should. But my free Prime two day shipping is Monday? I still appreciate that I get free shipping on Prime items, but they should stop advertising it's two day cause that's clearly not the case most times for some people anymore.

Probably ordered later in the day Wednesday. Didn't get out until Thursday and no delivery on the weekends. Two days is Monday.

That's the way it works around here.

It'd be nice if UPS would deliver on the weekends to get around that.

Posts: 20117 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Probably ordered later in the day Wednesday. Didn't get out until Thursday and no delivery on the weekends. Two days is Monday.

That's the way it works around here.

It'd be nice if UPS would deliver on the weekends to get around that.

Yes, it was Wednesday afternoon when i placed the order. I was more than happy to pay the $4 though to get the item the next day.

I still like my Amazon Prime, I just don't expect to get things in "two days" anymore.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
I just wish the 2 day shipping was actually 2 days. It seems to be 3-4 more and more often now a days.

That’s odd. It looks like we live in the same city and I have not had them delay any packages ever. And I order at least a couple per week. I have actually started noticing stuff coming in one day instead of two. I just ordered running shoes on Monday and had them Tuesday.

I too have not had an issue with delivery dates. Quite a few that are two day, come in one and some next day come the same day although those are delivered very late, like 7 pm. I guess a lot has to do where you live in relation to the shipping center. We are about 10 miles for the gigantic distribution center near Alliance airport so I'm sure that plays in the equation.

It's reported that Amazon has 100 million prime subscribers. Yikes!

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
they should stop advertising it's two day cause that's clearly not the case most times for some people anymore.
Several times in the recent past I have placed an order that showed two day Prime shipping. Once the checkout was complete, the expected arrival date showed three days.

Each time, I contacted Amazon customer service immediately. Sometimes they "upgraded" shipping to meet or beat the two day delivery, other times they obfuscated.

When they chose to argue the point instead of providing customer service, I just said, "either get it to me within two days, or cancel the order, cancel my Prime membership, and get me a PROMPT refund for my Prime membership. Either way, I'll be emailing Jeff@amazon.com to let him know how you handle this." I was "upgraded" to two-day shipping in every instance.

My take on this: Amazon touts two day delivery as one of the benefits of Prime membership. The cost of Prime keeps going up every few years. They need to deliver what they promise. Anything less is not acceptable.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
They couldn't convince me to sign up way back when, nor at $79, let alone $99 and now this $119 business.

I don't need their movies, cloud, streaming, or ebooks. I simply plan my purchases to exceed their threshold for free shipping (which I now suspect will go up again). At my age I'm in no hurry for stuff to get here. Big Grin

I'm also finding their prices to not be the best anymore with or without sales tax.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16226 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
At my age I'm in no hurry for stuff to get here.

At your age you should be! Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12427 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
At my age I'm in no hurry for stuff to get here.

At your age you should be! Wink

Now! Now! Sonny. Have a little respect for your elders! Big Grin

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16226 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I'm a heavy prime user. $119 to basically never step in to a retail store in one year? Sold...

Before we moved out to the sticks I used the various video offerings quite a bit. Still use the audio but right now I have a slloooowwww connection.

Most of my stuff is shipped to my office where it can be received by our shipping department. Sometimes I decide late in the week that I want something before Monday. I change it to my residential address and often it will get scheduled for one of the weekend days. I ordered 2 items at 2:00 today. Changed to the home address. The first will be there tomorrow and the second on Sunday.

Makes sense to me...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the past year, Amazon has really added a lot of video content, particularly old black and white movies, which are my favorites. I used to watch old movies on YouTube, where terrible sound and picture quality are the rule.

So now Prime will cost a little less than Netflix. It is worth it to me for the streaming content alone.

Amazon also has a book subscription service at another $10 a month, although the many, many books are not included. Since I used to buy several books a month from Amazon, the subscription is a good deal for me.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Recently tried the 30 day thing, figured either A) I'd hate it & cancel; B) I'd love it & be lulled into paying for a year.

Have been pleased with my upgraded delivery into the rural zone; and so far every order but ONE that they warned** me about, has been 2 days or less.

**where else can I order 'tail light lenses' on a 46 year old pick up, & get NEW ONES delivered for less than 1/2 price of the junk yard version, which as the guy there said about the condition on what he had "figure these are as old as the ones you want to replace, what kind of shape are THEY in?"....while adding freight on top of "$55 for the plastic" ....

In any case I've bought a raft of odd crap in the last 5 weeks that would have cost me way more to simply go pick up, than the Prime charge.

Don't know about the video/music 'benefits' mostly don't use/need/want 'em.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
Amazon also has a book subscription service at another $10 a month, although the many, many books are not included.
"Prime Reading" has a bunch for free. I haven't paid for a book yet, I don't use the subscription service -- I believe that you're referring to "Kindle Unlimited" -- and between the free Prime Reading and free borrowing from my local library via Overdrive, my Kindle always has something for me to read.

I use it for bedtime reading, and it makes wait time at doctor office, while-you-wait car service, motor vehicle office, etc., relatively painless. I just set my hearing aids to "mute" and read in peace and quiet. I almost look forward to waiting rooms. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We get a lot of enjoyment out of the streaming ad-free music, nice video library and the Prime shipping is gravy. For $10 a month I'm still feeling a lot of value.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Just received this a little bit ago:

quote:

Dear Prime member,

Thank you for being a valued member of Amazon Prime. We are writing to you about an upcoming change to your membership.

The price of the annual Prime membership increased from $99 to $119 on May 11, 2018. Your renewal on May 17, 2018 will be at $99. The new price will apply to your renewals starting May 17, 2019.

So they gave us six days advance notice of renewal and kept us at the old rate for another year.

At $120/year it's still a good deal, being as we get a lot of benefit from the mostly-2-day shipping and we stream a a reasonable amount. I'm impressed they're keeping us at the old rate for another year, despite the fact our renewal date is six days following the price increase.

Netflix, OTOH... I can see us eventually dumping them. We've liked very little of their Netflix Original content and their purchased content portfolio has grown pretty thin.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I got the notice from Amazon this morning that it's going up to $119 on my next renewal date, which is March 9 2019. I've been on the fence for a while about Prime. There's a lot of stuff on there that I'd watch except that it seems like 90% of it comes with an extra cost, and I'm just not sure that it's worth yet another $20. I don't use any of the streaming stuff other than video. The shipping is nice, though. Sigh, I still don't know.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:...I still like my Amazon Prime, I just don't expect to get things in "two days" anymore.

Maybe there's a wrinkle. I live in Silicon Valley, have Prime. I can think of only once in the past year that two day delivery took longer than two days. But there have been half a dozen times it was delivered sooner than promised.

Sidenote. My Prime was just renewed at $99, but CA does charge sales tax on that.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I save that much in gas not having to shop in stores.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I use the shit out of Prime. I also have their CC. The rewards that I have received back has more than paid for the membership.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Just received this a little bit ago:

quote:

Dear Prime member,

Thank you for being a valued member of Amazon Prime. We are writing to you about an upcoming change to your membership.

The price of the annual Prime membership increased from $99 to $119 on May 11, 2018. Your renewal on May 17, 2018 will be at $99. The new price will apply to your renewals starting May 17, 2019.

So they gave us six days advance notice of renewal and kept us at the old rate for another year.

At $120/year it's still a good deal, being as we get a lot of benefit from the mostly-2-day shipping and we stream a a reasonable amount. I'm impressed they're keeping us at the old rate for another year, despite the fact our renewal date is six days following the price increase.

Netflix, OTOH... I can see us eventually dumping them. We've liked very little of their Netflix Original content and their purchased content portfolio has grown pretty thin.

I just got the same email from them, as mine is due to renew at the end of this month. I'm not complaining. I find it to be worth it to me.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5481 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post