SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon raising Prime to $120
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon raising Prime to $120 Login/Join 
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
When I look at the options I take advantage of, it is still worth it to me.
Free Shipping
Prime Video
Prime Music
Prime Reading

$10 per month for this is a good value. If I did not use enough of the services offered, I can see where it would not be.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I wish the thread from a couple years ago on this very subject hadn't been trimmed. Same gnashing of teeth and consternation ensued.

IMHO, they've continued to expand their options, content and services in almost every area and it's a fair price change for me. In fact, still a bargain probably, and better than spreading out an chasing each service type in some other venue, overall cost and hassle probably more, not to mention not having access to shipping services.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Worth it for me, shipped out a couple of baseball hats to my nephew in San Diego on my own and costed me about 15.00 at the post office and that was the cheapest rate.

Posts: 5305 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Still worth it for me. $10/month is nothing.

What kind of cracks me up, though, is why? I doubt Bezos needs/wants more money. The guy makes a billion dollars before he's done with his morning coffee.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
What kind of cracks me up, though, is why? I doubt Bezos needs/wants more money. The guy makes a billion dollars before he's done with his morning coffee.

Because it's really worth more than that to most folks, but getting them to take the leap from $100 to $150 5 years from now will be the end of the world. Witness the reaction to another $1.67 per month.

Seriously, less than $2 a month more, and look at all they keep adding!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
I just wish the 2 day shipping was actually 2 days. It seems to be 3-4 more and more often now a days.

That’s odd. It looks like we live in the same city and I have not had them delay any packages ever. And I order at least a couple per week. I have actually started noticing stuff coming in one day instead of two. I just ordered running shoes on Monday and had them Tuesday.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Not even on my radar of things to worry about. Just the things I bought from Amazon last month alone, the shipping costs would have been $30-$40. Add the video and music freebies and it's a no brainer. The older my wife and I get the less we like to go out and shop. Online shopping is a Godsend.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I save enough to make it worthwhile. Just dog food alone pays the membership fee. I use Prime Music and my watch an occasional movie, too.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Still worth it for me. The reduced shipping, some items are even say day. What's especially big for us are the kids shows for our 3 year old. That itself is worth the $120/year.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Maybe we need Amazon Prime Government Price control??? Wink

Seriously, if it's too much - dump it. If it's not, it's not.

Free market, supply v. demand, etc, etc.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I like to buy stock in companies I do business with.

I bought Amazon at $832.15. Today it is $1,598.80. $20 a year is peanuts.
I bought Apple at $128.47. Today it is $162.01. Covers my new MacBook Pro and iPhone X easily.

Sometimes you win.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Prime reading, for free downloads of books to my Kindle, probably saves me the membership fees in gas that I don't need to use to go to the county library.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
After working for them when I first moved to KY until I could land something better, seeing their business practices from the inside, I said I will never again spend my money there.

I did so for about a year and 1/2, they are very convenient, if not completely shitty to their workers, saw plenty of OSHA reporting violations, and lots of injured workers scared into just quitting rather than being taken care of.

They also employed the very dregs of society along with many extremely hard workers. The stories I could tell...

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Why? Perhaps they're expecting that their sweetheart deal with USPS is going to get whacked.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a Prime member, but I use Amazon a lot. If I select the free shipping it always seems to come within a couple days anyway.

The video stuff is a separate issue. I ust Netflix & Sling on my Roku.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Aside from prime going up, have any of you noticed amazon’s prices are not as low as they used to be? And that “Prime 2-Day Shipping” has become “Prime Shipping” on many items?

So the price of membership is going up, but so are their prices, relative to competitors, and slower shipping.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2841 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The convenience of not having to take the time to drive to a store to buy damn near anything other than groceries makes it easily worth it to me. I can order underwear from Amazon in four minutes. If I have to go to Target it steals twenty or thirty minutes from my day.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Bezos boosts fortune by $12 billion in a day

Thats what a 20% increase in fees does....

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
I just wish the 2 day shipping was actually 2 days. It seems to be 3-4 more and more often now a days.

That’s odd. It looks like we live in the same city and I have not had them delay any packages ever. And I order at least a couple per week. I have actually started noticing stuff coming in one day instead of two. I just ordered running shoes on Monday and had them Tuesday.

I agree with qxsoup, 2 day shipping is rarely ever two days for me anymore. For instance, last Wednesday I ordered a Prime item that i needed by Saturday evening. It said it wouldn't arrive until Monday. Roll Eyes

I ended up paying for one day shipping. Guess when the item arrived? Yeah, Thursday. As it should. But my free Prime two day shipping is Monday? I still appreciate that I get free shipping on Prime items, but they should stop advertising it's two day cause that's clearly not the case most times for some people anymore.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30411 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post