SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Writer touted by CNN as 'Journalist of the Year' forced to resign for fabricating stories
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writer touted by CNN as 'Journalist of the Year' forced to resign for fabricating stories Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
I'm confused....I thought this behavior was promoted and rewarded at CNN? Seems like just another day.

The German magazine Der Spiegel revealed Wednesday that one of its top award-winning journalists fabricated many of his articles, inventing characters, sources, and their quotes “on a grand scale” for many years.

Claas Relotius, a reporter and editor, admitted to fabricating parts of at least 14 stories following the magazine’s internal investigation. The publication said the issue “marks a low point in the 70-year history of Der Spiegel.”

“I am sick and I need to get help,” he reportedly told the magazine.

The reporter contributed around 60 articles to Der Spiegel, one of the leading German magazines for investigative reporting. He previously worked for other publications in Europe and won awards such as CNN Journalist of the Year in 2014.

The fabricated articles include a phone interview with the parents of free agent NFL player Colin Kaepernick and a story about an American woman who claims to have volunteered to witness the executions of death row inmates.

Relotius also drew the fury of locals in Fergus Falls, Minn., after spending three weeks in town and fabricating facts, characters and quotes from people in an effort to portray the town in a negative light.

“What happened is beyond what I could have ever imagined: An article titled ‘Where they pray for Trump on Sundays,’ and endless pages of an insulting, if not hilarious, excuse for journalism,” wrote Michele Anderson and Jake Krohn who investigated Relotius’ Der Spiegel article about the town.

Both Anderson and Krohn went on to reveal that the article doesn’t contain any truth except for the town’s population, the average temperature, and names of the businesses or public figures.

Nearly everything else, including a coal plant employee named Neil Becker, who doesn’t actually exist, or quotes from a restaurant employee, who was falsely called the owner of a restaurant and whose son was given a fictional illness, was made up.

Relotius’ work was first called into question in November after another reporter for the magazine worked with him on a story about a border militia in Arizona. The reporter found that the supposed interviews never happened.

The Relotius case resembles past instances where journalists have been caught fabricating stories. Those accused previously have included Stephen Glass, who was fired from the New Republic magazine, Jayson Blair, fired from the New York Times, and Janet Cooke, a Washington Post reporter whose story about a child addicted to heroin won a Pulitzer Prize before it was revealed to be a fabrication.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/...ted-multiple-stories

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
He could always go into climate science.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29720 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fucking foreign, lying sack of leftist shit. Try shitting on your own country. It's certainly fucked up enough that you wouldn't have to even exaggerate, much less tell outright lies.

https://medium.com/@micheleand...ll-town-d92f3e0e01a7

You like to deal in stereotypes? Well, you're from Germany, so you must be a goose-stepping Nazi.

See how easy that is, you fraud?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107684 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
The publication said the issue “marks a low point in the 70-year history of Der Spiegel.”

For that far-left 'news-media' organization, hardly!

Posts: 14671 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And you will never see it referenced on the US main stream media.

Not much difference in what he did and the every-day M.O. of the MSM. Decide on an outcome and "investigate" to that end and then write a biased story, particularly if it furthers the agenda of the leftist billionaire who owns the news outlet.

Posts: 232 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe CNN just recognized their kind of journalism when they seen it. Wink

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Hey, at least it was award-winning-level bullshit. That's gotta count for something these days.

By the way, anyone else think of "Do you want to touch my monkey? TOUCH HIM!"...?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
He could always go into climate science.....

Yup, they use the same answer for everything.

Posts: 9165 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Fucking foreign, lying sack of leftist shit. Try shitting on your own country. It's certainly fucked up enough that you wouldn't have to even exaggerate, much less tell outright lies.

https://medium.com/@micheleand...ll-town-d92f3e0e01a7

You like to deal in stereotypes? Well, you're from Germany, so you must be a goose-stepping Nazi.

See how easy that is, you fraud?

Wow. Der Speigel should publish that article to clear things up and show everyone what a douche that guy is.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
This will be old news in a day or two. Let a conservative do the same and it would be the end of days coverage for a year. Fucking hypocrites, all.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Just checked CNN (Communist News Network) no mention of this.

Posts: 5308 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
But he's a great story teller and everyone loves a good story so let's not lose sight of the greater good and embarrass Herr Relotius. Roll Eyes

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8356 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
What a complete moron, I guess he got away with it for so long, why not keep writing good old fiction.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3644 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
He wasn't fired for making up fake news. He was fired for getting caught.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
He wasn't fired for making up fake news. He was fired for getting caught.

Precisely! Which is also what he's really sorry about.

Regarding Der Spiegel, I bet you could hardly swing a stick around the place without hitting a "journalist" that hasn't created some "news" on behalf of Merkel and her administration.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
By the way, anyone else think of "Do you want to touch my monkey? TOUCH HIM!"...?

"Und now... VE DANCE!"

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I am sick and I need to get help,” he reportedly told the magazine.

I can believe this! Lying seems to be a real disease among libtards.

And, just for the record, he is not the only one who does this. Witness some of the anti-Trump crap that gets published every day in our lame stream media.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Wow. Der Speigel should publish that article to clear things up and show everyone what a douche that guy is.

To their credit, they chose the "an early good offense is the best defense" approach, and plastered the case all over their website in rather extensive detail yesterday (the medium.com piece links to their main article). Including depiction of the Fergus Falls story, and that the fellow reporter who exposed the guy went through some pretty hard times at the magazine, because people thought he was trying to smear a brilliant, yet humble and generally highly-regarded colleague. He had gotten suspicious about a US border patrol militia report he collaborated on with Relotius from the Mexican side (there were pictures which had been published previously though the people in them didn't play much of a role in the article, and some descriptions were periliously close to an earlier piece in "Mother Jones"); eventually to prove bis case, he clandestinely extended a subsequent assignment in the US together with a photographer he trusted, getting video testimony of militia members that they never met the guy.

While it seems Relotius made great use of obscure internet sources to flesh out his fantasies, you have to wonder how people think they'll get away with it long-term in the same globally-connected world. That may work with stories from Syria like about the kid which supposedly triggered the civil war with a graffito, or the two abducted by the IS and brainwashed into suicide bombers; but making up stories about the Trump voter base in an actually existing Minnesota town, including a "Mexicans keep out" sign next to the town sign? Even before you get to the international blogosphere picking up and spreading news items worldwide across language barriers, "Spiegel" is a leading global news medium; though in their ongoing follow-up coverage as they find out more, they say he often told the responsible colleagues not to translate his stories for their English-language web presence - different colleagues, and with different, always plausible reasons. It's clear why in hindsight, of course.

This hits them pretty hard not just due to their overall reputation, but because they pride themselves on their extensive internal fact-checking system; they are discussing its capabilities and limitations at length in the coverage, and admit that in the end you still have to have a basic trust in the personal integrity of your employees. Which of course is true for many scandals in other companies and institutions the "Spiegel" has covered with an undertone of outrage. Now of course they're decyring that all honest journalists at "Spiegel" and beyond will have to work under a cloud of suspicion. Which is truely unfair, but a lot of folks from other groups which they have covered before would say "welcome to the club". Having followed their often clueless and sometimes malicious reporting on defense issues while working in the field, I cannot deny feeling some Schadenfreude myself ...

Posts: 2419 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Today it's back to the 24 Hour Trump Doom and Gloom Network. No mention of their fake news guy getting caught.
That wascally wabbit just keeps beating them every single time they smell victory and they can't let him get away with it.

Posts: 9532 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I hope Michele and Jake managed to overcome the agony and trauma of Trumps election. I hope there is a safe space in Fergus Falls.
Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post