SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm good.

My USMC son advises that there are a lot of hospitalized marines on base, containment around the hospital, and the commissary and mpx shelves are bare. Everyone in his shop is coughing and sick. One marine who just transferred in has a corona-positive person in the home, and seems to not care a whit during work hours. Everyone is getting sick. My son isn't too worked up, because he knows he's going to get it.

Given our level of exposure in the field, I'm fairly certain it's only time until I get it. With an underlying lung condition, that may get interesting. Not looking forward to getting quarantined in some third world rathole, and left behind. Been there.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm fine. All my social contacts are now cancelled for at least 2 weeks, some longer. I still go out to get food, etc. (I do a lot of drive-through pickup, anyway.) Have no symptoms. On the computer a lot (no difference). In my lounge chair, covered with cats (no difference).

I'm worried about what this is doing to our country and its economy, and how that will affect the coming elections.

I do have a planned tour of Alaska in contract for August--not sure how that will turn out.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
You can color me pissed off as well.

The wife and I are both retired. We go out if we have to but pretty much just stay here on the farm. That would be normal. The big chain restaurants are just about all closed now except for take-out but the local restaurants are still open as are the businesses. That makes things not too bad at all.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very concerned about the state of this country. We voluntarily let a virus bring us to our knees and are doing dramatic damage to our economy. It will take years to recover. We just signed a contract to buy a house a week ago. I fear we are buying at the top of the market that may soon collapse. At least we will have a place to live.

Financially we can still afford the house but our retirement accounts are getting hammered and I feel like its too late to go to cash, have to let them ride for a few years and hope they can recover.

Its a lot of stress for us, and we are in arguably much better shape than most of the people in this country. Our adult daughter is pretty much out of work now so we will probably hire her to help with our move and pray that this will resolve in the next few months and she can get back to work so she doesn't have to move back in with us.

Ugh. Can't believe how crazy and weak we have become as a nation.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ugh. Can't believe how crazy and weak we have become as a nation.

This is not the same country that went face to face with the Soviet Union. When we were just minutes away from a total Nuclear War.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Admittedly a little stressed early in week.
Losing some sleep.

Part was responsibility for work deployment of a crapton of radiologists.

Part was general concern for chaos and impact on others. Well, and a crater in my assets.

Sleep better once assuring my own stoopid ass this was temporary, my docs and I will do whatever the hell we have to to take care of patients, and my losses were immaterial to the dead folks.

Financial impacts are significant but as group we will take care of patients. I have the luxury of working for a group of doctors who understand what they have committed to.

Let's Roll.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Kind of scratching my head a lot. People are so panicked over this. But hardly batted an eye over H1N1. And it was far more damaging than this. Seems this one has been so over-hyped to the point of being downright ludicrous. Add that to the fact we're spending so much time telling adults they need to wash their hands and I feel we're somewhere along the line in the intro to Idiocracy. And yesterday I walked into another guy's office at work and he has a Brawndo poster on his wall.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I'm doing great because I still go to work everyday and have turned off the news.

I work at an oceanfront hotel and it seems as if a lot of people who have been told to work from home are viewing this as an extended vacation. The beach was as crowded as I've ever seen it at this time of the year. The beachfront kids park was packed with kids crawling all over the equipment while the parents socialized.

I had a group check in who thought since school was closed it was a perfect time to visit friends they don't get to see often.

I do feel bad for a bunch of sailors who are here for school (which was cancelled) and they are stuck here for a while with travel restrictions in place.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I pissed. I'm trying to get over being pissed and to where I can embrace the suck. I'm not just pissed for myself, I'm pissed for all the folks that are losing their jobs. I'm also pissed at statements some on this forum have made shaming those folks losing their jobs for not saving enough for a situation like this. I'd like to tell the guy on the forum with underlying conditions that thinks the rest of us shouldn't be able to go about our daily business what I really think of his attitude, but that wouldn't help or change anything.

I embraced the suck 15 years ago after Hurricane Charley, but I didn't have a wife, 3 kids, elderly parents, and a dog then.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're doing fine.

I'm astonished at how many other people are freaking out and acting as though this were actually a zombie apocalypse. I hate the media for how absolutely terrified they have some people with this.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Emotionally OK - more annoyed than anything else - like many other members here.

But - working on my math skills today. 1LB dry rice = 11 servings / 4 family members = 2.75 meals x 30LBS = 82.5 meals. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
We're doing fine.

I'm astonished at how many other people are freaking out and acting as though this were actually a zombie apocalypse. I hate the media for how absolutely terrified they have some people with this.

Yesterday, I was at the local hardware and found an Estwing 26" handle camping axe laying on the bargain bins. I picked it up and thought it would come in handy when I ran out of ammo. Then I put it back down and thought it's not the zombie apocalypse.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Estwing 26" handle camping axe laying on the bargain bins
That's a $60 axe. What did they want for it?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
$45. Home Depot has it for $40, so I don't believe it was on clearance.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Frustrated.Mad More frightened cattle are killed in the panicked stampede than are ever killed by the lightning bolt that set it off.

A businesses man in a town just 20 minutes north of me layed off 200 people from his chain of 4 small eating establishments. That's 85 more people than we have cases of the virus in this entire state which we are now up to a scary ZERO fatality rate! That's just one guy laying off 200.

Yesterday Governor Walz appears on tv telling us SIP is most likely forthcoming but not yet. Unless of course all you frightened cattle can just keep yourselves in your basement 6 feet away from each other and don't assemble in more than groups of ten at a time. We can't have you people comparing notes in too large of a group at one time. That could lead to people asking questions and the spread of common sense to take hold. So we have taken the precautions of closing down places of assembly to prevent the spread of just that!

All the while he has all the talking heads from around the state seated at a table elbow to elbow and people standing shoulder to shoulder behind them along with all the media, security and all the other special people gathered in one room telling the cattle where to go and how to act.

They don't act like they are too frightened to me. They don't have shaky voices, no sweat beads rolling off their foreheads, no trembling fingers holding their notes. As a matter of fact they look quite calm like they know something we don't. Mad

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our florist here in tiny town has a daughter that works at the largest Hospital in Iowa ,

She helps treat People that are "at risk" for mental illness and the mentally challenged.

The "experts " say that people are killing themselves over the covid, The suicidal are considering it the "last straw" ,

The mentally ill can't put it in to any kind of perspective so they look for a way to avoid the pain , suffering and the treatment.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My wife is holding it together, but being a pediatrician during this is taking its toll. A 9 year old swim team teammate of my daughter’s tested positive, and her father is in the ICU fighting for his life currently

Wife is convinced that she has seen several cases but testing is inadequate right now

My oldest son is stressed because this spring/summer was the most important period of months in his quest for a division 1 basketball scholarship. All of his recruiting visits were canceled, obviously, and his AAU season is completely on hold as well. He doesn’t know if he will ever get the opportunities he was supposed to have right now again

My 8 year old has just enough understanding to know that there is a danger from something like the flu, and has stopped asking me if her mom is going to die and just asks now if mom will make it home from work.

My job is to support those three.

My 8th grader is a typical middle schooler and is barely aware of its night or day Smile

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mentally/emotionally yesterday was rough.
I Had 40 employees yesterday and now I have 9 come Monday morning. I had to a layoff as business just dried up for the most part.
One employee has a 4 month old baby and was pleading to come in and sweep floors. He said it's going to tough since his wife doesn't work.
Another 21 year old employee was in tears because he's not sure if he can make it on unemployment.
Ohio waived the 2 week waiting period for unemployment benefits and they start immediately now. Ohio also emailed most businesses with a special code number that people use to file.
Personally? I'm good. I have limited myself from really going anywhere unless necessary, my business being an exception. I am following the governor's advice and taking the temperature of all my employees followed with certain questions.
I have enough food and should anything happen, I have enough food at my business to last for years. I make food so...
I do worry about food riots to a point but it's not an overwhelming thought.
I have a decent amount of ammunition should anything happen so that's a good thing.
One day at a time right now.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're good. Our Governor ordered all non-essential business closed. We cut back about 90%, but not going to complete close. Those that can are working from home. So far, everyone is still getting paid.
I'm using the time to get things done around the house and trying not to drive my wife crazy. Neither one of us is very good at sitting around...

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talked to friends and family for two hours today by phone, All had bad news of some sort or another, that did not help me in the least. I gotta find some kinda up side,....... somewhere.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post