SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation?
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation? Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I swear, two thirds of the cars there were from out of state. New York, Chicago, Wisconsin, Minnesota (I guess they don't have any lakes in Minnesota), Florida.

Interesting. I've lived in three of the five places you've mentioned and spent a lot of time in one of the remaning two, yet not once has Lake of the Ozarks come up on my radar as a place I need to go.

What is the attraction? What would I miss out on if I didn't go there? Is it nice, or is it a tourist trap like Wisconsin Dells or Gatlinburg?

I hear you about the big weekends. On a normal day, you might see 2 or 3 people walk past our house on Lake Huron, but come Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Labor Day things get crazy and there might be 20 or so people a day walking the beach. They're gone soon enough though.

Posts: 10972 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“How is everyone doing mentally/emotionally with the COVID situation?”

This thread was interesting when it was about the topic title.
I guess we didn’t have enough other places to whine about what other people were doing rather than how we ourselves were being affected by the situation.

Or am I just being dense? Does what other people do have that much effect on our mental and emotional well-being and I am being insensitive?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Getting back on topic...
I'm more annoyed with this mess every single day, with every report of politicians' overreach and public fearmongering. I'm peeved at our so-called leaders for turning this into a power grab. I'm peeved at those who would politicize it and make it more than what it is. I'm peeved at those who want to dictate our behaviors (masks, business restrictions, travel restrictions, etc). I'm peeved that I haven't seen some of my family since February.

I'm peeved seeing so many small businesses suffer as a result of this. I'm shocked at the amount of BS we're being force-fed, and at the [likely false] panic that's being spread.

But in the bigger picture, I'm thankful that I'm still employed. I'm healthy. My family and friends are healthy and employed. My pantry and freezer are stocked. I'm working more hours than usual, and that's going to be the routine for a while. Each morning I get up, give thanks, and get ready to face the fresh insanity that begins right outside of my neighborhood.

We're Americans, and we will survive this, as annoying and stupid as it may be.

God bless America.

Posts: 13507 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does what other people do have that much effect on our mental and emotional well-being and I am being insensitive?

It does to all the virtue signaling mask wearers who scold or glare at the ones not wearing masks. Fights are breaking out in stores mask wearers going after the non mask wearers. Mask wearing is giving a lot of people the feeling of not being able to be identified and makes them more brazen to confront others. Kind of like Antifa.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:

This thread was interesting when it was about the topic title.
I guess we didn’t have enough other places to whine about what other people were doing rather than how we ourselves were being affected by the situation.

Or am I just being dense? Does what other people do have that much effect on our mental and emotional well-being and I am being insensitive?

Thank you. I agree completely. Skins posted an update on his ongoing saga and it it was completely ignored so that people could have another mask thread.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Apparently, I'm trying to kill my wife and sister in law because I don't care or think about anyone but myself.

That's how my morning started.

Yesterday, 12 year old daughter asked me if she could have a friend spend the night. She hasn't had any in person social interaction for over 2 1/2 months. I said yes, because we're going up north on Monday and there's limited opportunities for her where we go.

This morning, my wife laid into me with what I posted in the first sentence because we don't know where my daughter's friend has been or who she's been exposed to. We have about 110 known, current cases in our county of which 80 are in nursing homes. We've had another family over twice now with their boys. In fact, my youngest son spent the night at their house last night. That family's boys have spent the night at other familys' homes as well. My wife was ok with this. We talked yesterday about having my daughter's friend over and my wife had reservations, but didn't say no.

Screw me for being a selfish asshole and thinking about my daughter's emotional well being when I said yes to her having a friend over.

Posts: 10972 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Fed up and frustrated.

Good luck with whichever path you choose.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does what other people do have that much effect on our mental and emotional well-being and I am being insensitive?

Yes, it does. Until you reach a point (like I did) where you close off all connection with the outer world on the topic. We were being (and still are today) bombarded with COVID COVID COVID to the point that affected mental function to the most sane out there. I remember in the big COVID thread a point where about three posters spammed the thread with so many charts, graphs, models and productions that Para finally even stated something to the affect of “well, I must be missing something here” in reference to the truckloads of dead that were supposed to be coming to a community near you. And resistance to the thought of “we’re all going to die” was promptly crushed by “I’m a scientist, my wife is a doctor, here’s another graph of impending doom”.

And it turned out to be false. One lie after another. One fake prediction after another. And people are angry.

This thread was largely the place where folks could come and bitch, largely without being spammed by the false narrative, graphs, charts, and largely without the SAVE-GRANDPA crowd crushing your soul with charts and graphs and false predictions.

Now, interestingly, the charts and graphs posters (trust me, I’m a scientist) have disappeared from the forum. Others are spending time letting us know that despite wanting to hand over your and my Rights to save grandpa, they are as much a victim in this as those who didn’t go quietly into this scam.

When you are being beat down by a constant barrage of a false narrative, it does finally effect your mental state. This is exactly like (pick any democrat that has committed felony after felony in the Flynn case, or all those who remain quiet in any of Joe Biden’s sex scandals) and those who defend them pissing you off despite knowing there is nothing you can do about it. Another great example as the number of people that kept repeating “Trump has no path to 270”. It wore on people despite a few people constantly reminding (and illustrating) that Trump was going to win in the last election. If people repeat a false narrative enough, it does bother you, no matter how strong you are.

Yes. It does affect you mentally when you are constantly beat down. Yes, this is the thread where we came to bitch about whatever was ailing us when the big thread was all death, all the time. The latest version is masks. It’ll all part of the same narrative. People are fed up and it is just another attack and attempt at control.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’m to the point of absolute disgust with the hordes of drones going along with whatever bullshit the government is shoveling. Shows you what can s done with a media driven fear campaign. Mad

Posts: 13744 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Fed up and frustrated.

Good luck with whichever path you choose.

Thanks Palehorse, I really want to go a different direction, but don't want reckless with my finances. The smart thing would be to just go back to my job and get in as much pay as I can and wait for the job market to open back up. That's not what I want to do but what I should do.

Wife on the other hand is another story two months a go this virus was a 9 on my concern scale and a 2 on hers, now it's a 2 on mine and a 9 on hers. I prefer not to come in contact with as many people and as intimately as I need to for work, but reality is one can't hide forever. Tough balancing act. I'm having trouble getting her to understand, it's not that bad.

I posted something a few days ago that I'd hope you'd see. Although far away from getting unemployment figured out, I was able to get PUA independently from the unemployment and it took less than a week to get all nine weeks deposited in my account. You should look into it. I earned $400 this week, so I'm guessing I'm no longer qualified for anything, or maybe I can get the difference. Not sure, I'll find out next week I guess.

Florida PUA

It took me less than an hour to fill out for Virginia.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Thanks jones. You have hit on precisely why I avoided the big thread for weeks.

As far as the "mentally/emotionally" state, I see no other than pure disgust, anger, and cynicism. Most of us are quite fed up with the constant lies, the media, the politicians, the TV commercials, the masks, the new virtue signaling, the sheer stupidity of it all. Of course this whole thing has quickly become a conservative vs. leftist cold war, and it's going to be a fuckin' long, hot summer.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Okay, then.

I started following this thread to see if any other members had some of the same concerns and issues I did and how they were responding to them. Now, however, that it’s been explained that it’s the place to complain about being triggered by someone’s wearing a mask or doing it wrong—and because one such thread isn’t enough—I’ll just go back to seeing what’s new in the Rifles section.

Thanks to all who explained that to us. But I will offer one tidbit: If we’re being overwhelmed with media and other coverage of the pandemic, STOP LISTENING TO IT!. It’s not really that hard.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Y'hear that, gents? All of you have disappointed sigfreund. You failed to meet his expectations.

sigfreund, on behalf of all the clumsy, unthinking, self-centered members of SIGforum- of which certainly I am one- I offer you our apology for not understanding your wishes and for failing to provide you with a satisfactory thread-reading experience.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Indeed.

Im angry that the micro-managing mini-tyrant governor of NC unilaterally changed his decree in the 11th hour last Friday as not to allow bars or gyms to open (restaurants - yes...open). The only difference between a "bar" and a "restaurant" in NC is that a "bar" makes 30% or less of its revenue selling food.

And now he's trying to keep the RNC from having the convention in Charlotte in August. Really pisses me off (mainly as his motives are so transparently political, not just to snub Trump but to cause problems for Republicans running for Congress and for his Republican opponent Dan Forest in the gubernatorial race this November) and hopefully all the out of work hospitality industry people in the Charlotte area who would really benefit in a time when so many are struggling will get mad too and take it out on Cooper and his ilk at the ballot box.

quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Thanks jones. You have hit on precisely why I avoided the big thread for weeks.

As far as the "mentally/emotionally" state, I see no other than pure disgust, anger, and cynicism. Most of us are quite fed up with the constant lies, the media, the politicians, the TV commercials, the masks, the new virtue signaling, the sheer stupidity of it all. Of course this whole thing has quickly become a conservative vs. leftist cold war, and it's going to be a fuckin' long, hot summer.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for the link. I was actually approved last week and got three weeks worth of UI today.

A little over a month ago I had emailed the state auditor and he replied that he could not approve me but passed my info on. I emailed back asking if he’d be interested to know when nobody contacted me. He did not respond. Last week I got so fed up that I emailed him again. I was respectful but told him that nobody had ever contacted me and my status was unchanged. I got a call about an hour later from a lady who was able to push my stuff through.

Good to hear you are finally getting something as well.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Yeah, our area made the national news. Not much "social distancing" to be found on the Lake. I am not surprised. We had to go out shopping Friday for our family gathering. We went to a huge supermarket (Hyvee) in Osage and that parking lot was absolutely full. I swear, two thirds of the cars there were from out of state. New York, Chicago, Wisconsin, Minnesota (I guess they don't have any lakes in Minnesota), Florida. These people were here to party and party together they did.

The locals actually do a good job of distancing themselves when out and about, very few wear masks but they are good with that. No, the tourists were here to gather and party and that is what they did. Me? I and most others stay home during the big weekends of summer. Smile

Is the Lake of the Ozarks a place to live? Or a tourist destination? It is both, of course.
There are always going to be some tensions between the 'locals' and those who go to the Lake for shorter periods of time and want to have some fun while there. You may have noticed the out-of-state plates but a lot more come from St. Louis and Kansas City. My brother has a place there. We like the Lake a lot, but it's usually the holiday weekends when we are all able to come down.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24137 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prior to this insanity I enjoyed going out and having some interaction with people.
No more. Going out now among the maskers, the panicked and the sheep just pisses me off.
Looks like I have actually embraced social distancing after all!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16101 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I gotta admit, I am pretty bummed today.

We were taking the youngest niece to Walt Disney World for a week in June as her graduation present. The older niece was coming too, paying her way this time, as we took her a couple years ago for her graduation.

This has been planned for over a year now and officially booked about that long. We've watched tons of tourist youtube videos in the time to keep up with the changes, had our dining reservations made, Fast Passes booked, and received our Magic Bands.

We have all been very excited about this. Today it is officially not happening. Disney is not opening until mid-July.

We won't be able to re-schedule for a year now.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
With out regard to how or who introduced this biological into our lives, deal with it I must. We must.
From the get-go it should have been allowed to run its course. Many lives, mine included would have been put at risk.
The majority of them being immune compromised and most being alive only by modern medical methods. Even 40 years ago many of us in this group would not have survived as long as we have. Yet here we are, clinging to whatever hopefully will help us to survive.
I am very much that this was, still is a power grab by the filthy rich and a bought select group of politicians.
I have my 3 meds and a nebulizer (a good idea for me anyways) and am waiting for June 10th to find out how well the mid-May group who got back to living fair. But I am, with my custom made mask (tested a taste under a N100 mask) going out each day.

As for SJW and virtue signalers--F-em. I wear my mask as -my- choice.
I trust the Sig mind will allow me that. I find it distasteful to read, as I have here, that I am being thought less of for having investigated, thought out and made my own decision.

How I feel today, not any much different than any other time. Most all my life I have had my hobbies and a close group of friends of like mind--science, math, astronomy, photography. These keep me active & busy. Tonight I have 2.5 minutes with the Kitt Peak telescope. No need for me to go out.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustyblade:
I find it distasteful to read, as I have here, that I am being thought less of for having investigated, thought out and made my own decision.
What's also distasteful is watching people fall for the gigantic load of manure they've dumped in our faces. You don't like the fact that many here think people wearing masks are ignorant or naive? I'll go further than that and say that anyone voluntarily wearing a mask is part of the problem. People who willingly don these inneffective masks are playing right along with the liars and fear mongers in government, in the press, and in the "health" community; The CDC, The WHO, every Goddamned last one of 'em.
If people refused en masse to jump through all these little hoops the Trump-hating left has put before us, this shit would have come to an end more quickly in this country. In that respect, I'm doing my part, although, given all the supposed adults I see shitting their pants over this phantom virus, it's like pissing into the wind.

The masks are nothing but theater. They are- at best- inneffective, but the truth is worse than that.

Take a look:

And in case you wonder about her bonafides: http://drpampopper.com/about-pam/

quote:
Pam is a straight-talking professional who is not afraid to criticize national health organizations, government agencies, medical professionals, pharmaceutical companies, agricultural organizations and manufacturing companies, many of whom have agendas and priorities that interfere with distributing truthful information and promoting public health.
You'll see. When the truth finally manages to find its way out through the mountain of bullshit they've dumped on us, you will see that all of this- all of it- was for nothing. Look to the Swedes for the answer.

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post