SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The new Honda CBR one thousand gets some updates and an additional “R”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new Honda CBR one thousand gets some updates and an additional “R” Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just another inline 4. My goodness Honda needed to drop a V4 in it 17 years ago.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12932 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
They made a V4 but priced it ehhh a bit excessively. Remember the ultra expensive and laughably underperforming RC-213 V-S?

I don’t think Honda will ever make a V4 superbike that actual riders will be able to afford. This was their chance and they decided to stick with the inline four.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I know too much of their history to believe that sorry. Honda is the premier V4 manu on the planet.

Aprilia makes a V4. Ducati makes a V4. Yamaha uses an inline that fires the same as a V4. Honda has no excuse.

Nobody uses a traditional inline 4 in GP, not even Honda.

They have made affordable V4’s for what 30 years now? VFR750, 800, and 1200 over the years. There is no excuse. I still own a VFR1200 as one of my bikes and it has a V4.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12932 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Two manufacturers in MotoGP currently run inline fours, Yamaha and Suzuki. The last bike to win a GP race was a inline four. Yes, they are not flatplane crank engines like on most inline four street bikes but they are still inline fours in MotoGP winning races from time to time. The WSBK winning bike was also a inline four though the V4 Ducati looked like it had it in the bag at first. The inline four isn’t obsolete yet.

Honda could easily have chosen a new V4 to take on Kawasaki and Ducati in World Super-bike racing but opted against it. Why? Probably cheaper to tweak and redesign the existing CBR than go back to the drawing board and build a whole new bike/chassis etc. Honda knows what it’s doing when it comes to building engines. I like what I’m hearing about the engine on this new CBR. Has Honda said anything about VVT on the bike?

It’s styling is not bad either. Typically I hate new Honda bikes when I first see them and then over time they grow on me. I think this new CBR looks incredibly mean.

I don’t plan on buying one. My wrecked CBR600RR is going to keep me occupied for months but I love what I’m seeing and I think it will be an excellent bike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post

Sure, it's a promo video from Honda/Marquez, but it sounds pretty good. I'd like to see what his telemetry stats were going around that track as compared to his GP bike.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
When I grow up I'm gonna buy one of these superbikes. Just watch. I'm gonna be somebody someday.

First I will have to sell my 781cc V-4 Honda Interceptor.

Back in the day I had a friend with a V65. He put a rooster fairing on it. It was squirrely above 70. Front end got light and floaty.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post