SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for a new daily vehicle...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a new daily vehicle... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Tundra's having engine problems

Posts: 1454 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
Tundra's having engine problems

Not all engines, the 2022-2023 Tundras and Lexus LX600s with Toyota’s twin-turbo V6 are the problems. 2024's are not part of the recall at this time, nor are the hybrid powertrain or electric models.

Word on the digital street is that dealers are refusing trade ins on Toyota Tundras with the affected drive train.

Basically they don't want recalled models sitting on lots waiting on an official fix.

Link

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll go against the grain here wolfe. It's not gonna be a manual trans, but go test drive a Jeep Compass. I picked one up (Trailhawk) last year and *really* enjoy it as a daily driver. You should be able to get into a Latitude Lux or higher trim at your price point. Jeep is hurting for sales, don't be shy about low balling them. Maybe you could get into a Limited for just over your budget. Wink

Posts: 223 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I loved my Subaru Crosstrek with manual transmission. Absolutely great in snow, and even better with true winter tires.

I am not a fan of the CVT, in part because the traction control system is different, plus the longevity of CVTs in general concerns me.

Posts: 9709 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just build a Toyota Tacoma SR, 6 speed manual, 4x4 on their site. It is around $35K. This is priced for N. TX which is usually a bit more that up north due to more demands for trucks down here.
I would suspect it will be a little less up in OH.
Also Road/Hwy/Combine is 19/24/21 respectively. Ticks all the boxes your stated. Go see if your build will fit comfortably in the driver seat.

Posts: 1074 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
WRX, as much as I’m long past boxer 4’s, Subaru’s anyways, Porsche still just fine. WRX, base or premium (you can get a few grand off), $30k. AWD. 6MT. Meets all your criteria. 6MT, and AWD are just my game, and that’s the cheapest one you can get.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Tacomas are wonderful if you don't need great gas mileage, and fit in them. I drove one daily for 13 years and it was the best thing I could have had for the purpose.

I miss it.

Posts: 5224 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the past I would never recommend a Dodge but I bought my first Dodge ever in 2016 which I still have and it’s been my favorite car I have ever owned. (Scat Pack)

I needed something to daily drive where we get snow and since I work in the city the parking is not really doable in a full size pickup and I’m not an SUV guy so I decided to buy the new at the time 2017 Challenger GT with AWD. Normally I wouldn’t get a muscle car with a V6 but I had my Scat Pack for fun and thought any car I would buy like a Camry or accord would have less power. Well the GT now has over 120,000 on it and the only unscheduled maintenance was one alternator. It’s definitely been the most reliable car I’ve ever owned which surprised me. Very roomy, super comfy, great infotainment, stereo and is averaging 25.3 for the life of the car.

It’s pretty funny to watch people freak out and give you a bunch of room when there’s 6 inches of snow on the ground because most people don’t know it’s AWD.

Posts: 3994 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
^ very cool!

Id go with a Subaru. I have a ‘21 Outback Limited with the 2.5l non turbo. Leather heated adjustable seats including extending seat bottom for long legs. LED headlights that move with the steering wheel. Very nice car, 100k miles on it with basic maintenance per the book. I opted out of spark plugs at 60k, I’ll replace them myself shortly, but did do the CVT and differential flushes. I put a set of Falken Wildpeak tires on after the factory tires went at about 60k and use studded tires in the winter. It sticks super well it can be easy to to overdrive for conditions. It will probably need brake pads next spring, at 4mm on the rear and fronts are still above that. Average 27-28mpg, with some lows of 25 all town driving and 30 with all highways. I’d do the turbo next time just for margin when passing and mountain passes. My wife’s 3.6l Legacy is a speed demon in comparison. Most of my driving is highway with limited stop and go.

Lots of room for gear, people and or dogs. The backs have a little bit of reclining adjustment and lots of room with heated seats, good air vents and charging ports. The seats fold flat for groceries runs and if under 6’, could be slept in. Good ground clearance for snow, mild fire roads or shooting ranges. Eyesight is great, the factory cellular remote start is great if you have decent signal at the car and phone locations, but a has a small fee. Carplay is still wired on my car which is a little annoying but works well.

The only mods I have done were tinted windows and snap in side in shades for the dogs, A/T tires, Rok Blocz extended mud flaps and some protective film for the headlights. All just personal preference.

The biggest downsides for me are probably the weak reverse lights and lack of a full size spare tire.

In fact, I’m looking at new cars and the options are another Outback or a Honda Ridgeline for the open bed.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8361 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't make it back in time on the crosstrek. Work tied me up all week and I didn't have the time to make the 70ish mile drive. I only mentioned the snow as a side note. I've had a RWD pickup with all season tires for 20 years. Only couldn't go once. I just go slowly and with high blood pressure... and about 200lbs of sand in the bed.

I will at least look at the new WRX, but I don't like the looks of the new body style. Or the black plastic accents. Coworker has the previous Gen STI he seems really happy with.
I have no love for Chrysler products. My sister's compass had the engine go at like 20k miles. They replaced it with a new engine, but I just don't trust em now.
I was really leaning towards a Tacoma because I just wanted a truck, but they're just $$$. I don't love the new styling either. Final nail in the coffin was no manual in the access cab. I do like the Solar Octane color, but it's mid trim and up. So about $42k plus.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2782 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post