SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for a new daily vehicle...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a new daily vehicle... Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
A used Camry.

This, I was on the fence between a large pickup and just driving a Toyota Camry or Corolla into the ground. If I hadn’t found the awesome deal on the truck I definitely woulda went that route.

I luck out that u routinely live on base so my commute is 5 miles. And when I’m OCONUS my truck is stored so the miles don’t move.

Smart bet thought, a Toyota sedan of some sort.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I also vote for a used Camry with the 4 cylinder.

Nicely sized for your comfort, and will get great highway mileage for a vehicle of its size.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4572 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
1) Toyota (CPO to hit your price point)

1a) Manual, I think your only choice is an older/base model or a Tacoma...
1b) Tacoma is well under 20MPG and you'll definetly have to tack on a few more years or increase the budget

2) Subaru WRX (Base model / trunk slammer), you can get a cool 1" lift kit, method wheels for not that much and have world beater that would do great on-road up to 8" of snow easy
2a) I would be very cautious being used, I understand these do not do well when abused and modded and that is a very popular thing to do. Probably have to increase the budget to get a gently used purebred

3) For MANY years my budget required a lesser vehicle than I wanted / needed... Tire Chains are a PITA, but if you take your time they can turn a VW Jetta into a AWD SUV. Snow tires are also amazing

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thank everyone for their input. I guess I'll add a nice Camry to my list to look out for.
I'd probably like a wrx, but I don't want to deal with a premium fuel only engine.
I have seen a couple KIAs locally, including a couple of coworker's cars, but I think our closest dealer is a couple hour drive. I will look into it to be sure.
All the subaru little cars lost the manual option for 24 with the introduction of the new chassis. Cvt only... however I did find a used crosstrek on a lot after hours the other night after leaving a county fair. I will try to get back to look at it this week. They want almost what it sold for new almost 4 years later, so idk. They had a used Forrester sport in a color I liked too.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2782 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Kinda leaning toward a Honda Civic. Sister has a crv she likes...

^ I have given some thought to a Camry/Accord also, but I'm single and that seems like a large car for one person. Maybe that's just me...

I was considering your size. But, if you feel like Civic, then yeah, Corolla, also. It's always Corolla or Camry for me, when it comes to workhorse.

Wisdom right there

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.
He's never been a straight shooter.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
If you want new with a manual the Ford Bronco.

If you can live with an automatic a Toyota 4Runner.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4248 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I have a 2018 Mazda3 with 6sp manual and it’s been a great car so far. Only at about 58k miles since I started working closer to home. Looks like you can get a 2025 Mazda3 hatchback with a manual, but not with the turbo for some reason. If you ditch the manual, you can get AWD on it.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2537 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subaru Forester, would fit the bill.

I'm 5'11" 225lbs, and I daily a 2013 Subaru WRX Hatchback. Getting in and out is tight, but plenty of room inside. There's more room in the back seat on this car, than my 1999 Ford Crown Vic.!

This has been the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned. Good gas mileage, and great in inclement weather, with the Blizzak WS90 tires, I have to remind myself that I'm driving on snow.

I can say my friend that has a Forester XT ( that's the turbo trim ) loves his, and my friend that has the Outback loves hers. So, that's my experience. All three have been very reliable, and loved by their owners.

ARman

Posts: 3208 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I find Subaru seats too shallow as well and I'm only 5-11" w/ 32" inseam.

I would look at a Mazda 3 Hatchback with a manual transmission and see how it fits you. It's similar to my Corolla HB manual (actually probably a little better car) which I really enjoy.

Our ‘24 Subaru Outback Limited has an expandable drivers seat to add length. I’m 6’1” and 255 lbs, we just drove down and back to/from Myrtle Beach. Very comfortable the entire trip. We are averaging 25 MPG, my wife drives it mostly and it’s all city driving. Price was $35k but it has a lot of features for that amount of money.

Posts: 2351 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
If you want a manual, there aren't many with AWD which would be nice in snow.

For an automatic, check out a Kia K5 with AWD. They have a ridiculous amount of interior space for their size. Toyota Camry would be another decent option.

Currently the only cars I can think of with AWD and manual would be BMW and Cadillac.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan03833:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
If you want a manual, there aren't many with AWD which would be nice in snow.

For an automatic, check out a Kia K5 with AWD. They have a ridiculous amount of interior space for their size. Toyota Camry would be another decent option.

Currently the only cars I can think of with AWD and manual would be BMW and Cadillac.

Subaru WRX, which is what I first thought of after reading the OP. I don’t have any experience with them, but they seem to have a good following.

VW Golf R is another option, pretty pricey though!

Toyota GR Corolla is, also, an option. Seems like a few of the newer performance versions of the typical econo cars still have manual and now a few moved to AWD.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2537 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
Our ‘24 Subaru Outback Limited....We are averaging 25 MPG...........

Was that a Wilderness version?

Normal should have hit near 30MPG.
Dam Marketing mixed up the rear ratio to appeal to the "off-roading" mall crawlers. This ain't MOAB silly - get a jeep!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Tundra for me and Highlander for the wife currently. I went to a Tundra after I went FT WFH. I had 2 Accords(08,17) and they were very great cars. I hear great things about the Camry but have no real experience with them.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1782 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
2018-2020 Accord Sport has a manual available. 1.5T is a great motor, gets 38-40mpg. I had a 2.0T Touring with the 10A and it was an excellent full-size option (paid $33k out the door pre-Rona).

Used values on the manuals will remain strong. I'm 6'1" and didn't fit a new Camry or Avalon well (Accord had MUCH more headroom even with the sunroof)

Posts: 3148 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had great luck with Toyota Camrys the last 30 years, just keep up with the suggested maintenance.
Best of luck

I’m here to learn more about firearms and would love to contribute as well. I’ve been following this forum for a few years and would feel honored to be a member.

Posts: 12 | Location: Gilbert  | Registered: May 25, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Toyota Highlander. Medium SUV built on the Camry platform and available with AWD for your snow days. It's not a body on frame, SUV, it is a lighter weight, unibody vehicle, not built for offroad. I have a 2010, as a spare car, FWD, and absolutely love it.

Smooth, quiet, fast enough, convenient, comfortable and simply useful.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
Our ‘24 Subaru Outback Limited has an expandable drivers seat to add length.

I absolutely LOVE that feature!
I'll say nice things about the Outback, too, having driven a few of them recently ('22 and '23 models). I averaged 28 mpg with the normally aspirated ones, and 24-25 with the turbocharged XT model. No manual transmission, but I could overlook that given the comfort of that driver's seat.

If I had to give up my 4Runner, I'd go looking for a recent Outback in a big, fat hurry.

For better overall economy? I'd probably go find a recent Camry. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13826 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have mentioned, Subaru is the Swiss Army knife of cars. My wife is on her 3rd Outback w3.6L
6cyl, the last yr they made it in '19 I believe. Sure footed mule in the snow, comfortable, and it's bullet proof in reliability and safety. For the dough, tough to beat.

Posts: 183 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Get a Tacoma or a Tundra

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be the only one up here to say this but we have had good luck with the Nissan Altima. Our 2 wheel drive gets 41 MPG on trips checked by it's computer and the old math and top it off method. The transmissions on these have had some problems but are now guaranteed for 100,000 I think. Whatever you buy consider the fuel grade and economy. Blows my mind that folks ever buy something that gets 20 MPG but I guess they have more money than I do. The Altima has comfortable seats and rides nicely.

Posts: 1504 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post