SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for a new daily vehicle...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a new daily vehicle... Login/Join 
posted
I need to replace my 24 year old daily. Nobody currently makes anything I really like.
Any recommendations...

I'm 6-1, 260, 34 inseam. Drive 30 miles a day, all interstate. We get snow and ice 4-5 months out of the year, mostly couple inches at a time. I did have over a foot while at work one night last winter. I'd like to be under 30k, but that's not a hard ceiling. Would also like a manual, but I realize how uncommon that is. At least 20mpg would be nice too. I get about 24 now.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2782 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
A used Camry.

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda leaning toward a Honda Civic. Sister has a crv she likes...

^ I have given some thought to a Camry/Accord also, but I'm single and that seems like a large car for one person. Maybe that's just me...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2782 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I love my 2015 KIA Soul base.

Lots of room for big people, good cargo space.

Great mileage (27-28 around town).

Only one item needed repair so far, the left rear window control. Done under warranty.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31962 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
If you want a manual, there aren't many with AWD which would be nice in snow.

For an automatic, check out a Kia K5 with AWD. They have a ridiculous amount of interior space for their size. Toyota Camry would be another decent option.

Posts: 3677 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
AWD/good mileage/<$30K====> Subaru Forester Certified pre-owned!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Kinda leaning toward a Honda Civic. Sister has a crv she likes...

^ I have given some thought to a Camry/Accord also, but I'm single and that seems like a large car for one person. Maybe that's just me...

I was considering your size. But, if you feel like Civic, then yeah, Corolla, also. It's always Corolla or Camry for me, when it comes to workhorse.

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Manual will be impossible to obtain. A Highlander would meet your requirements.Also a Honda Pilot. A friend has an Equinox. I am not a chevy fan. But he is happy with his.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19675 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
TDI Passat?
40mpg, roomy

I went & looked at a DSG SEL today
Drives nice & would make a nice daily

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Drive nice & would make a nice daily

Indeed. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13826 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I love my 2015 KIA Soul base.

Lots of room for big people, good cargo space.

Great mileage (27-28 around town).

Only one item needed repair so far, the left rear window control. Done under warranty.
I've been looking at KIA Soul for my 18 year old grandson who got stationed at Wright-Patterson and has no car. I see a lot of them here in NC.

Posts: 4054 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
A 2-door used 4x4 Jeep Wrangler.

Posts: 3459 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same boat.
The seat cushion in the Subaru forester is short. Didn't notice on the test drive. I'd look at the Legacy, but same short seat.

Camry is hybrid only now. No deals on Toyota except Tundra

Maybe a Mazda CX5. They have inventory so you should be able to deal. Normal transmission and 4 cylinder

Have not tried out the Civic. It is about as large as my 02 Camry. CVT transmission though.

Posts: 1454 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Honda & Subaru are pretty well regarded for their CVT.
I haven't driven a Honda, but have been in numerous Subarus with it & it's really good, for a CVT.

IIRC the Impreza, or maybe Crosstrek, still offers a manual.
Civic Sport Touring could also be had with a stick, but I think either 23 or 24 was the last year for it.

Corolla had a manual option [outside of the GR] but you'd be looking used there, as it's auto only now.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My nephew waited for a bit over a year to get an ordered Ford Bronco with the 2.3 litre 4 and the 7 speed Manual transmission. They are rare but they are also out there if you are willing to pay the premium for a pretty rare option package. As for why the Manual, his daily driver was a Focus ST and it was just a wee bit too small for his 2 young daughters and all the fixins. My daily driver is a Fiesta ST which is also a Manual only and with 185 width Bridgestone Blizaks on all 4 corners it's decent in the snow. However it's not as good as the 1970 Beetle I drove when I lived in the Akron Cleveland Snow Belt. That Beetle would go thru anything as long as the snow wasn't up to the running boards. Note if you are going to setup fora winter wheel set get 6 inch wide rims and go narrow with the tires. Wide tires in snow create extra drag and the less drag the easier it is to get traction.

Vehicles, I am a fan of going small. They are a lot more nimble and you don't have to slow to a complete stop to turn a corner. In addition they are easier on fuel. Honda, Toyota, and Nissan may have some small cars their lineup that you may find interesting.

If you need something larger look for a Ford with an ST at the end of it's name. Because they are optimized for good handling and rather spunky power. There is also the Bronco but the 2.3 manual transmission version are rare.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scooter123,

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Hyundai Kona 1.6 turbo awd
I’m your size, plenty of room for driver
Right around 30k loaded up
Small suv, rear seats aren’t great for adults but fold down for a flat mine wagon type of setup
Averaging 28mpg around town, 32-33 on highway , and I don’t baby it
10/100 powertrain warranty , I’m at 30k zero issues so far
No manual , but it does have a DCT transmission
I despise most CV transmission

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2935 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
30 grand will just about get a brand new Camry. Even with Toyota lowering themselves lately it's still tough to beat.

Posts: 3537 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subaru CrossTek is absolutely what you want.
If you can ditch the manual then the CRV and the RAV4 are by far the best options.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think you can still get manual in the Mazda 3 as well
In the new body style I prefer the sedan, but don't recall if the manual is hatchback only

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I find Subaru seats too shallow as well and I'm only 5-11" w/ 32" inseam.

I would look at a Mazda 3 Hatchback with a manual transmission and see how it fits you. It's similar to my Corolla HB manual (actually probably a little better car) which I really enjoy.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post