SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPDATE page 2 bought one. Anyone have, or ride, a Honda CB1100?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE page 2 bought one. Anyone have, or ride, a Honda CB1100? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasconnor:
my primitive sand cast,

That's a sweet one, Thomas. Cool Thank you for sharing!

God bless America.

Posts: 13531 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Nice ones Z06 and Thomas!

A CB1300 Is what I'd really like to buy but after the market fail of the CB1100 in the US I question if Honda will bring it here.

https://www.rideapart.com/news...cb1300-launch-japan/

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7124 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The CB1300 would have been sweet. I’ve always thought the Yamaha MT-01, which is a naked sport bike that used the Warrior 1700’s engine would have been interesting and probably successful in the US market. I didn’t know of its existence until I saw one in Sweden. A 1000cc naked sportbike is a hoot, that 1670cc MT-01 is a bike I’ve always wanted to try out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21134 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Motorcycle dealer here. Unfortunately the CB1100 suffers from a BAD case of Honda-itis...it very well could be the most boring motorcycle in the world. Good buddy of mine bought one because he loved the looks but the bike did zero to stir the soul so he traded it for an FJ-09. If a retro bike is what you are after, either of these two options would be VERY entertaining choices:

Kawasaki Z900RS

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us...TGROUPLIST-_-VEHICLE

Yamaha XSR900

https://www.yamahamotorsports....ritage/models/xsr900

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 974 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The Z900RS Cafe.....that would be more like it..

Posts: 23618 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The Z900RS popped into my head after reading the OP, as an alternative.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15422 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Motorcycle dealer here. Unfortunately the CB1100 suffers from a BAD case of Honda-itis...it very well could be the most boring motorcycle in the world. Good buddy of mine bought one because he loved the looks but the bike did zero to stir the soul so he traded it for an FJ-09. If a retro bike is what you are after, either of these two options would be VERY entertaining choices:

Kawasaki Z900RS

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us...TGROUPLIST-_-VEHICLE

Yamaha XSR900

https://www.yamahamotorsports....ritage/models/xsr900

I appreciate your perspective Jon and you're not the first person who mentioned that the CB1100 is boring so there must be something to it. I realize some bikes are just boring to some people. I had a 2007 Nighthawk 750 that must be considered *really* boring, being maybe 50# lighter than a CB1100 only with just 65 hp vs 85. Yet I really enjoyed that motorcycle. I ended up selling it off after picking up a 2007 919 which I really enjoyed riding as well. The biggest negative for me on te 919 were the high mufflers which interfered with my soft bags which made traveling on it difficult. The 750 Nighthawk with factory shield, rear rack, and soft bags made a wonderful mid weight tourer.

Sometime later at the local dealer's Yamaha open house I tested an FJ-09 and was impressed by its peppy motor, decent wind protection, and its low muffler, so I ended up buying one then and there, a barely used FJ-09 that the dealer happened to have on the floor, and selling the 919. But it wasn't long though that I was regretting this move. The "peppy" Yamaha's throttle was very abrupt and the suspension that was fine on the smooth roads of the demo ride was jarring on most of the real roads I ride on. At least soft bags worked so I could travel on it but even after a custom seat and ECM reflash I never found it to be as enjoyable to ride as the 919 or Nighthawk. So this is where I'm coming from and why I'm *thinking* that I may enjoy a CB1100. I do have a 790 Duke for a hooligan bike, a T7 for an Adventure, and Road King as a heavy tourer.

Posts: 7124 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I found a 2014 with 2,500 miles on FB Marketplace that's in pretty nice condition other than a lower engine case is gouged where it fell over (I have a new one on order). It'd been garaged so no rust or fading. All that I see that needs done is replace the tires, oil, and brake fluid, then ride it!
Unfortunately I had to pay about $1,000 more than they were going for two years ago, but that's just the current market.

posted Hide Post
At what point did Honda go with fuel injection? I would guess keeping 4 carbs in sync would be a PITA! I like the looks of ridewv's bike.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16147 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats, looks nice!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15422 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a leftover 2014 in 2018 out the door for $7495. It’s been great, totally reliable, smooth and quiet. If you can find one, I think you will be pleased.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
WOW! Eek Showroom condition! Congrats!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Oh wow! That is a gorgeous Honda. It looks exactly like the one I drooled over in the showroom for years. Congrats man that is such a cool bike!

Now we just need some riding weather. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21134 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your purchase. That looks great!

God bless America.

Posts: 13531 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I'm just happy to have one of these bikes. Probably my favorite motorcycle engines are 2 cylinders but in-line 4's have their own charm as well and I feel I should have at least one in the garage.

Not sure when Honda went with FI on all their bikes, actually they offer at least one that's *still* carburetor. My 2000 CB750 had 4 carbs which stayed sync'd much longer than the BMW opposed twin throttle bodies or carbs. But removing and dissembling those 4 carbs to floss out the jets was a PIA.

Jumbo yes the time to buy these (and most) bikes was in 2017/18/19. I'll have $6,800 in this one after buying new tires and an engine side cover that was gouged from a garage mishap. A pristine used one could have been purchased for under $6K 4 years ago. But prices are higher on most everything today....

Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Congrats on finding a nice CB1100 so fast! Once you get out with it you'll be surprised how many folks will compliment you on your fine "restoration". Makes for some fun conversation with total strangers in parking lots.

As for Honda fuel injection: it works near flawlessly on the CB1100. Throttle response, idling, transitions, etc. all seem to be calibrated accurately despite the EPA BS they're saddled with.

That said, I do pine for my `99 CBR1100XX often because that bike had the absolute best throttle response of anything I've owned - damn near instant. The Blackbird's horsepower and torque combined with that throttle response meant you had better be ready for what you asked for. Some riders thought it a bit abrupt but that version of Honda's PGM-FI just didn't have any lag that carbureted bikes had that people were used to. I miss it.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Bike aside, I'm still drooling over your workshop and lift. No fair not having to lay on the floor to work on your bike. Razz

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Heads up for ridewv: If you were considering engine guards for your CB1100 I just received a sale email from Twisted Throttle. SW-MOTECH engine guards are on sale for $163.16 (normally $203.95). Decent price, extremely well made and should prevent further engine case replacements.

Twisted Throttle - SW-MOTECH Engine Guards

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have the SW-Motech bars on my CB, fit just great.

Posts: 6197 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve never ridden one but that is one gorgeous bike.

Posts: 3937 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post