SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPDATE page 2 bought one. Anyone have, or ride, a Honda CB1100?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE page 2 bought one. Anyone have, or ride, a Honda CB1100? Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
Honda's beautifully finished retro, air cooled, in-line 4 cylinder, standard motorcycle that came to the U.S. for 2013 languished on showroom floors. It was updated with an overdrive 6th gear along with some minor changes for 2014 but that didn't seem to boost sales much. Even after being updated again with a larger tank, LED lights, and a few more little changes for 2017 these bikes didn't sell well. Let's face it for the same money that a CB1100 cost one could buy a bike that was better in most every measurable way. Yet for some reason I'm considering one these bikes. I like the standard riding position, styling and lack of body work, and I think the fact it kinda reminds me of 4-cylinder Hondas I've owned in the past.
I guess I'm asking to be encouraged to, or talked out of, buying one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridewv,

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7125 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I've spent considerable time on the CB900 Custom, an '81, and an hour on either the 900F or 1100F of the same decade. Excellent bikes back then. I'd miss the smell of a carbureted engine, the slight weeping of oil here and there burning off on the head. The new styling is certainly 'modern'. Bet the throttle response is nice; would not miss tuneup issues.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new 1100 was pretty. Suffered from (at best) a average frame and suspension

The euro model was much better, IIRC

Posts: 348 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Honda CB1100

It's not bad, as long as you get a deal, OTOH think I'd just look for an original or reconditioned CB750, at least it will go up in value...

Posts: 23618 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine picked up a CB1100 a couple of summers ago. It's beautiful, and I'm itching to get some time on it.

That's all I can really say, though, because he's so busy he hasn't had time to put more than about a dozen miles on it since bringing it home.

I won't twist your arm to buy one, but I wouldn't dare try to talk you out of it either.

We'll be looking forward to the pics when you bring it home.... Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13531 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The later model is the one to get. A year or two after the CB1100 came out Honda added an extra gear. Not that there is anything wrong with the earlier 5 speed version but if I could I would seek out the 6 speed version that came later.

They are gorgeous bikes. I drooled over them while they were in my local fun store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21137 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
......OTOH think I'd just look for an original or reconditioned CB750, at least it will go up in value...

You're right in that really nice old CB750's will increase in value but I'm more interested in a bike that is similar and that I can really ride. I wouldn't miss the flexy frame/suspension, weak brakes, carburetors, points ignition, of my 1973 BC750.

quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
A good friend of mine picked up a CB1100 a couple of summers ago. It's beautiful, and I'm itching to get some time on it.

That's all I can really say, though, because he's so busy he hasn't had time to put more than about a dozen miles on it since bringing it home.

I won't twist your arm to buy one, but I wouldn't dare try to talk you out of it either.

We'll be looking forward to the pics when you bring it home.... Cool

CB1100's really are beautifully finished and were manufactured in Honda's newest factory in Japan. LOL I haven't decided yet but I am looking, unfortunately prices seem pretty high now, but that's pretty much true of everything.

quote:
The later model is the one to get. A year or two after the CB1100 came out Honda added an extra gear. Not that there is anything wrong with the earlier 5 speed version but if I could I would seek out the 6 speed version that came later.

They are gorgeous bikes. I drooled over them while they were in my local fun store.

I agree, my preference would be a 2014+ with the 6-speed, 4 into 1 exhaust, and cast wheels with tubeless tires. I like the 2017+ larger tank but am not interested in dealing with spoke wheels with inner tube tires anymore.

Posts: 7125 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're right in that really nice old CB750's will increase in value but I'm more interested in a bike that is similar and that I can really ride. I wouldn't miss the flexy frame/suspension, weak brakes, carburetors, points ignition, of my 1973 BC750.

That's what makes the riding exciting LOL

Good luck getting one should be a good fun ride, much prefer the upright seating position, can't stand the sport bike riding position..

Posts: 23618 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
original or reconditioned CB750

Here's a 2-mile 1979 at BringATrailer, just in case anyone needed a distraction.

God bless America.

Posts: 13531 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A close friend of mine owns a 2014 CB1100 and he absolutely loves it. I think he's put over 20000 miles on the clock without any sort of mechanical issue. It runs well and handles well and looks good for what it is and maintenance is pretty easy if you have a little mechanical skills. What it lacks is all the latest and greatest electronic wizardry that lots of newer bikes have but if you're looking for simplicity and reliability the CB1100 is a great bike. If you want one and it meets your riding requirements then in my opinion there's no reason not to buy one.

Posts: 1634 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2017 EX that I bought new as a leftover model in 2019. It's no race bike by any means but it's no slouch either. It has a ruler-flat torque curve so it goes "right now" when you roll the throttle in most any gear. I had thought about fooling around with a vintage CB but realistically I wanted the vintage CB look on a modern bike that I wasn't afraid to ride long distance. Also, things like fuel injection, ABS brakes, better forks & shocks, etc. pushed me towards the CB1100EX vs. a 1970's bike.

I've tweaked mine a bit with fork gaiters, Arrow exhaust, Dart wind screen, SW-Motech engine guards, Corbin seat and a Scottoiler system for the chain. I have a long gravel driveway so the fork gaiters are serving a purpose other than looks. The Scottoiler should keep the chain from self-destructing due to the double-dose of gravel dust it gets regularly.

Over the years I've owned a few fast bikes (Honda Blackbird & VFR, Kawasaki ZZR1200 & ZX11) but now that I'm 60+ it's probably good I don't own that type of bike anymore. Now that I'm in Michigan the pothole infested roads just don't lend themselves to triple-digit speeds on a superbike. The CB has that traditional Honda inline four feel and very predictable power delivery so it's not hard to flog within its limits. A fun bike if you don't mind polishing a bit of chrome.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks calugo. I'm drawn to the idea of owning Honda's last air cooled, 4-cylinder motorcycle. It wouldn't be my main motorcycle more of a bike to take out on nice days.
I considered Kawasaki's Z900R but somehow the 17" wheels with fatter tires, almost no fenders, and water cooled has me liking the Honda more.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Wow that's a beautiful bike Audioholic and just about how I would set one up. I see you added fender extension to help keep grit off the headers and front of the engine, smart move.
I'm 60+ as well, live off a gravel road, and many of the paved roads here in northern WV are patched up rough.
I've seen some 2014's for sale but none of the updated 2017's, at least within 200 miles or so.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The local dealer had a 6 gear one sitting around forever, kept getting discounted and finally someone bought it. I even have seen it around town a few times. I wish I could have gotten it.

Posts: 9982 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Same here at the local dealer here Voshterkoff and I'm kicking myself now. I believe they finally sold the 17 (like Audioholic's) for $7,400 which they said was $400 below their cost even after incentives.

Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Wow that's a beautiful bike Audioholic and just about how I would set one up. I see you added fender extension to help keep grit off the headers and front of the engine, smart move.
I'm 60+ as well, live off a gravel road, and many of the paved roads here in northern WV are patched up rough.
I've seen some 2014's for sale but none of the updated 2017's, at least within 200 miles or so.

Thanks! You may want to have a gander at the CB1100 Forum: lots of good info, great people and they have a classified section where you may find a lead on a 2017.

http://www.cb1100forum.com/forum/index.php

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks yes I looked there, just a 2014 for $8K that may already be sold. I'll search classifieds in another week or so.

Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
In '83 I bought my 7th MC; a brand new CB1100F. That was a wheelie machine even when I wasn't f-ing around doing them on purpose.

After a year or so I sold it to a crazy friend of mine and bought my one and only Yamaha, an '84 FJ1100. That one I kept for a while.

Posts: 4055 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Back in the day I had a 1971 CB-750F, I got it used in the late 70’s. I’ve owned a bike for many of the years since, usually lower cost options.

A bought a new CB-1100 back in 2014 or so, put a bag on back, windshield & a few other things. It’s been trouble free, easy to keep in top mechanical condition.

I ride it enough to keep for now. No it’s not a Harley-Davidson, but works for me.

I think the market is kinda weak in that category, average age going up.

Posts: 6197 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all these fancy bikes I somewhat reluctant to post my primitive sand cast, 7000 miles...Tom

Posts: 306 | Location: PA | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post