SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    'Free solo' climber Alex Honnold conquers El Capitan without rope, safety gear
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Free solo' climber Alex Honnold conquers El Capitan without rope, safety gear Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redleg06:
Its being broadcast on NatGeo, Sunday, March 3rd.

Cool. Thanks.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Next challenge up, wing suit parachutes, what could go wrong.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
Next challenge up, wing suit parachutes, what could go wrong.

Honnold, very unlikely, doesn't have the personality/character for such.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

And on another note...the Oscars were tonight? How about that?

Watched that and turned them off. Only thing I wanted to see.

I too was rooting for Free Solo to win Best Doc, and it was the only category I cared about.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I had tagged it to buy on iTunes but this will be great if the full version.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
OK, set to VDR the documentary “Free Solo” on Nat Geo March 3 9 pm.
Thanks for the tip!

(Also available to purchase on Amazon Prime for $10.)

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now it’s the Oscar winning documentary....

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
FWI Free Solo is premiering on NatGeo now or 9 pm for those not on the East Coast.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWI Free Solo is premiering on NatGeo now or 9 pm for those not on the East Coast.

Taped it, going to watch it later this week.

There is also on Netflix a good documentary called "Valley Uprising". Gives a good history of that climbing

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
Watched the documentary last night on NatGeo and enjoyed it very much. Honnold certainly is an odd duck.

The film reveals the reasons for his peculiarities, especially the interviews with his mother.

Jimmy's line was the best, after a stopage In some ways, it’s kind of reassuring that Spock has nerves..

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Watched the documentary last night on NatGeo and enjoyed it very much. Honnold certainly is an odd duck.

When you're on the spectrum... Roll Eyes

I think all those extreme risk-taker types are odd.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

When you're on the spectrum... Roll Eyes

I think all those extreme risk-taker types are odd.

Sortof...having lived-with and been around many of these types, thrills are certainly apart of it however, some are more of the adrenaline types, others, like Honnold are genuinely curious. You need to have the physical skills and the aptitude however, mindset certainly is different for many. Most would never do a TED Talk, Honnold being an hyper-analytical type, fits right in.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Listening to that Ted talk, it's amazing the amount of work and preparation that he put in for that climb. Dude has a pair if big brass ones...I'm getting vertigo just sitting here listening to him talk about it!

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Dawn Wall to release on March 5 via Netflix!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Thanks for the link!

The Dawn Wall climb by Tommy Caldwell was quickly mentioned in the Free Solo documentary. I'll definitely watch that documentary, too.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for the heads up! Free Solo is coming out on disc tomorrow as well and is supposed to be at Red Box. I'll be reserving it in the morning since I missed the Sunday night airing on Nat Geo.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Dawn Wall is another good movie. Tommy did a lot of work helping Alex prepare for his climb.

The two hold the current(at least I think they still hold it) speed record on the Nose route of El Cap.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dawn Wall is another good movie. Tommy did a lot of work helping Alex prepare for his climb.

The two hold the current(at least I think they still hold it) speed record on the Nose route of El Cap.

Yup, 1:58 and some change.
I remember when Lynn Hill free climbed the Nose in 23-hours back in '94. Considering it was the early 90's and how long it took for somebody to exceed that achievement, her mark is one of the all-time gold standards in the history of climbing.

posted Hide Post
I watches last night. Yeah he’s on the aspergers spectrum for sure. Spock is the perfect nickname for him. Cold and logical only even his MRI proved that no fear sensors in his brain. And the way he interacts with his girlfriend? Very interested relationship they have. Good on Nat Geo and sponsors for showing that film with no commercials.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post