SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    'Free solo' climber Alex Honnold conquers El Capitan without rope, safety gear
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Free solo' climber Alex Honnold conquers El Capitan without rope, safety gear Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Gravity happens fast.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Doubt it.
Honnold is a a different character than Potter, Skinner and even Dan Osman....

You've made two different points. One, you've stated that Todd Skinner was into excessive alcohol usage and/or drug usage. I sort of knew Todd Skinner, but not that well, however I was completely unaware of substance abuse. In other words, was this an ongoing issue through 2006, or something he may have conquered much earlier in life? He was a husband/dad when he died. Are you sure about this?

Second, you've said that Honnold, and the like, are more calculated. I will agree that Skinner's death was more due to carelessness of equipment maintenance and sadly mundane in relation to his normal endeavors, but odds are that humans who live on the edge are going tempt fate one time too many, because they are humans. I believe that to think otherwise is self-deluding, but I think most of these guys know they are pushing the envelope with their lives, and they accept it.

Two different points, for two different kinds of climbers. With regards to alcohol/drug usage, that was more pointed to with Osman, whom I knew; Skinner and Potter I know of through other friends principally Jim Hewitt who was with Skinner when he died. Guys like them are a lot different than guys like Honnold, which is where my comparison was going. They're more apt to take greater risks than somebody like Honnold; a night of hard drinking, partying, putting crazy ideas into action, those guys were characters, much more out-going, extroverts. Their personalities led them to take risks which pioneered the sport in different directions, sometimes paying with their lives. I'm not saying all of their deaths are a result of careless and reckless behavior, however that factor is more in-play with their personality type than a Honnold or, Lowe, who were calculated, and more introverted, ergo more cautious and conservative in their actions. I've been in meetings with Honnold, nice guy but, good grief he's boring.

Climbing is an inherently dangerous sport, no two ways about it. Big wall climbs require a lot of nerve along with a lot of grit, perseverance and muscle to yank all that gear up while setting the anchors...its why it's referred to as blue collar climbing. Free solo, yeah ..pass.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see this documentary. Meru was great!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I can't wait to see this documentary. Meru was great!

Same here, Meru was good. I think Free Solo will blow it away. Jimmy shots some amazing shots and his wife can tell the story.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Definitely looking forward to watching this.

quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
I got into climbing in college in the late 70s (in Ohio of all places - Clifton Gorge State Park), after the "Valley Uprising" pioneer days, but before it became mass-popular like it is today, with artificial climbing walls in every REI and outdoor fair. (Heck, REI wasn't even a "thing" then, with no stores outside of Washington state.)

I lived to climb, and even worked as a mountain guide in Colorado during college summers. One of the best jobs of my life. I climbed in Yosemite as well, even doing a two-pitch route at the base of El Cap (Moby Dick), one of the worst off-width cracks I've ever done. (I discovered the usefulness of the newly-invented "Friends" protection on that climb!) Even so, I was leading at a 5.9 level, and following or toproping at 5.11, which was pretty good back in the day. Longest climb I ever did was Royal Arches in Yosemite, rated 5.7 A0 (short section of aid), 15 pitches and 2000 feet. I've climbed all over - Eldorado Canyon, Boulder Canyon, Seneca Rocks, the Gunks, Devil's Tower, the Valley, and lots more.

I did free solo a handful of climbs, but nothing harder than 5.6 It doesn't push your physical level, but it sure does focus you.

Having just turned 60 twenty days ago, I doubt I could drag myself up a 5.7 toprope any more, although I do stay active hiking, mountain biking, and I just did a technical canyon in the Robbers Roost area of Utah (think 127 Hours, the top part of Ralston's route before he lost his arm).

For those unfamiliar with climbing, the rating system is called the Yosemite Decimal System. The first number ("5" in my examples above) refers to the class - 1 would be walking across a gym floor, where 5 requires ropes and technical gear. Class 6 (or "A") would be aid climbing, where you use the gear you put into the rock to help you climb, not just catch you if you fall. 5th class was broken down further from 5.0 to 5.9. At the time, they didn't think anything could be harder than 5.9. We're up to 5.14 now.

I miss climbing, but it got me into the outdoors, where I've kept active my entire life, and to which I credit my general good health and activity level today.

Very cool. I didn't start climbing until '92.

I've pretty much peaked at leading 5.8-5.10, and toprope-ing a few 5.11s. My life and climbing partners combo never worked out to much in the way of super tall multi-pitch routes and for that I have subtle regrets as I'd always wanted to. Oh well, I've done tons of single pitch Sport and Bouldering and love/loved every minute of it. El Cap was a dream of mine for a long time, but the closest I'll probably ever get now is some of the super tall routes at El Potrero Chico in Mexico because they have very tall 8s and 9s.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Broken Arrow Tyrolean Traverse (in the Valley) was a dream of mine. A buddy and I agreed we were going to do it together. He ended up getting to it first. I never managed to do it, despite spending a total of about 5 weeks in the Valley over the course of a few summers. I never forgave him for it. (Well, I did, but still....)

(Not my pic: )

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
has anyone seen Free Solo yet? limited release, so it's a lotto i guess.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

I’ve seen it. It’s very well done. Some insane shots of Alex on Free Rider.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
I’ve seen it. It’s very well done. Some insane shots of Alex on Free Rider.
starts here Friday. I'll go see it.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Death awaits this super stud. He's as subject to the laws of physics as we mere mortals. He'll find that out one day and it won't be too long before he does, 'cause he's gotta top ths stunt now, doesn't he?

Ridiculous. Can he fly? Then, he's a dead man walkin', and when he splatters hmself all over some ravine, I'll say 'I told you so'.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Death awaits this super stud. ....

Death awaits us all. I believe Hemingway put it best in "A Farewell to Arms":

"If people bring so much courage to this world, the world has to kill them to break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."

Of course, as I type this I am still not completely healed from my mountain bike accident of July 1.......and may never be.....so what do I know, you're probably right.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for ignoring the meaning of my comment (which you damn well know), in order to point out the fucking obvious to me. You don't need to quote Hemingway to point out the most basic thing about the human condition.

Let me put it to you this way- today is not the day to try to be cute with me, Mr. Ima Fish.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Death awaits this super stud. He's as subject to the laws of physics as we mere mortals. He'll find that out one day and it won't be too long before he does, 'cause he's gotta top ths stunt now, doesn't he?

Ridiculous. Can he fly? Then, he's a dead man walkin', and when he splatters hmself all over some ravine, I'll say 'I told you so'.

Don't know, he's got a girlfriend now. Maybe she'll change his interests.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I'm with Para on this one.
This guy spoke at our Sales Kick-off back in August and all I could think of was "so what"? There was absolutely zero reason he should have done it. You want to impress me, Invent something. Don't just "climb a rock".

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Of course, as I type this I am still not completely healed from my mountain bike accident of July 1.......and may never be.....so what do I know, you're probably right.

Not sure of the seriousness of your mountain bike injuries, but if the end result was a permanent limp, or brain damage, or constant pain for your remaining days, would you feel that your injury was worth the thrill of the "putting it all on the line"?

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:

Not sure of the seriousness of your mountain bike injuries, but if the end result was a permanent limp, or brain damage, or constant pain for your remaining days, would you feel that your injury was worth the thrill of the "putting it all on the line"?

You can never justify dying or being permanently injured for a sport, but, you never think you are going to die or be injured. Gearing up to do a 3 hour cave dive located an hour drive in the jungle in Mexico with literally no emergency services there to help, you either trust yourself and your buddies 100% or you dont go. I believe the risks I take are manageable and I dont feel anything I do is even close to "the line", but there is no way to justify it.

Funny, after reading this thread I went home last night and watched "Meru". Great movie, and I found a lot of similarities in the "mind set" between mountain climbing and cave diving. Especially the mentoring aspect and extending limits.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:

You view suggests my collection of injuries from riding motorcycles would lead you to believe that I got a rush from riding them.

Not hardly. I rode a motorcycle because it was cheap transportation and back then I was poor. I had to ride no matter the weather (save for snow).

Sadly it was on that motorcycle where my two accidents happened. I suffer from the injuries from then to this day. Was it worth riding a motorcycle? Well yeah, if I wanted to go somewhere that was my choice because it was my sole means of transportation.

Sometimes "dangerous" behavior is driven by the rush, other times it's driven by other factors like economics.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:

Don't know, he's got a girlfriend now. Maybe she'll change his interests.

I saw Free Solo yesterday. A lot of the movie focuses on Alex's relationship w/ his first serious long-term girlfriend and how it affects his climbing goals.

The doc is easily digestible. It's laid out like typical sports movie. You get introduced to the humble, unassuming protagonist. You get a close-up view of his sport and lifestyle. You meet his friends. You meet his GF. You meet his family.

You get a montage of the protagonist training and preparing for 'the big game'. The protagonist experiences some setbacks. He gets in a fight w/ his GF. He suffers some injuries. His confidence gets rattled. The doc climaxes w/ 'the big game'. The protagonist pulls himself together, and you know the rest.

The film is targeted towards mainstream audiences that know little-to-nothing about climbing and succeeds at drawing in the layperson. As you would expect, there are many vertigo-inducing shots of Alex in action.

If you're a serious climber, you might be disappointed that they don't show more footage of Alex's feat, but the movie does go into the complications of where and when to film Alex's climb.

I will be surprised if it doesn't get an Academy Award nomination. It has a good shot at winning 'Best Doc', unless there are competing docs pushing some SJW agenda that Hollywood will fawn over.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Death awaits this super stud. ....

Death awaits us all. I believe Hemingway put it best in "A Farewell to Arms":

"If people bring so much courage to this world, the world has to kill them to break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."

Hemingway also said that there are only 3 true sports:
Bull fighting
Auto racing
Mountain climbing

His reasoning was that if you think you're better than you actually are, you're a dead man.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8347 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
This was just released from TED...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iM6M_7wBMc

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post